Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2007 VTX

rakr

So first off, thanks a ton to the crew for being welcoming. 

My dreams of being a short line skier may be fading a bit with age. After reading about the VTX, it seems like a much better boat for a growing family, with a dad that likes to slalom. 

My primary question is about the removable ski pylon directly behind the driver. Is that standard on all VTXs with the cut diamond hull? It looks like all of them have the mounting hardware for it, but the one I am looking at, the guy didn’t really know what I was taking about. Also does that mounting hardware double for a table? 

Can you buy the pylon after market if the previous owner doesn’t have it? 

Right now I have my eye on an 07 or an 08. Are there other years of the VTX that are exceptional? I would like to be able to take this through the course at 28’, maybe 32’ off if possible, and potentially trick. 

Thanks again crew, I am looking forward to joining the ranks of Malibu boat owners! 

ICBW, but I think that Malibu didn't offer the removable ski pylon on the VTX until 2013.

You probably need to ski behind a VTX before you make your decision. 

1 hour ago, srab said:

ICBW, but I think that Malibu didn't offer the removable ski pylon on the VTX until 2013.

You probably need to ski behind a VTX before you make your decision. 

I just looked at a 2013, and it does have two places for mounting, one for a table and one for the pylon. 

Thanks! 

The 2007 VTX with Cut Diamond is great to ski behind and I have ran it through the course.  They did not offer the mid-ship pylon until later, (someone mentioned 2013, and that sounds about right) but I've never had a problem with skiing from the rear pylon.  I've had a 97 Echelon, 01 Sunsetter Lxi, and I would put the wake behind my VTX as good as my Echelon, (different, but as good) and better than my Lxi.   Now, that said, the driver has more work to do with the VTX than they did with the other 2 boats.  I found that adjusting the rudder tab to load the rudder fairly significantly helped the driver a lot when going through the course, but made it less easy to drive for non-course things.

If you can afford it, get a newer VTX with surfgate.   That will have more impact on your experience than a center pylon.  The family will want to surf.  '13 could get you both.

The VTX isn't a great experience in the course, it is a pretty big boat for that.   Like a auto cross with a minivan.  You are welcome to ski our VTX in the course if you are interested.

Good luck with the search.

No VTX here but kudos to you for still slaloming.  I am the only one in our crew that still does.   My VRide has the rear pylon and I notice no difference than from a center pylon.  If it’s a huge concern, measure from the center and shorten your rope that much.  

Edited by NCVride
On 6/5/2018 at 11:10 AM, River Monsters said:

If you can afford it, get a newer VTX with surfgate.   That will have more impact on your experience than a center pylon.  The family will want to surf.  '13 could get you both.

The VTX isn't a great experience in the course, it is a pretty big boat for that.   Like a auto cross with a minivan.  You are welcome to ski our VTX in the course if you are interested.

Good luck with the search.

I was hoping that a 15 will show up with a price that is less than $65K or so... There are some 13s out there for high 50s, but the PW II seems like it could be a nice thing to have. It seems that the 15s are going to be out of my price range for a bit, and I am kind of itching to get on the water, so I might start looking at the 13s with SG. It has been almost 10 years since I have seriously skied, so my hopes of running up the line are pretty minimal, and I am going to try to join up with the crew that skis out at Conklin and hope to get some pulls with a DD when I am ready. Unfortunately life has been getting in the way these days...

Just curious where do you get into a course around here? Thornapple?

57 minutes ago, rakr said:

Just curious where do you get into a course around here? Thornapple?

We are on Thornapple River.  I've got a son and neighbor that spend most of their time in the course.  I don't enjoy the course personally, but I am not very good either.

1 hour ago, rakr said:

I was hoping that a 15 will show up with a price that is less than $65K or so... There are some 13s out there for high 50s, but the PW II seems like it could be a nice thing to have. It seems that the 15s are going to be out of my price range for a bit, and I am kind of itching to get on the water, so I might start looking at the 13s with SG.

Tommy's has a red '16 Listed for $69k from their Florida stock.  VTX go pretty quick.  This time of year, everything goes quick.

6 hours ago, River Monsters said:

Tommy's has a red '16 Listed for $69k from their Florida stock.  VTX go pretty quick.  This time of year, everything goes quick.

Based on some feedback from ahopkins, I’m trying to stick with the 13-15. Apparently they updated the hull in 16 and it didn’t result in a ski friendly wake. Better for surfing though... 

i tried to get my wife to look at a house in Maricabo shores, but it was a little far south for her. But it would have been perfect for me! 

• Like 1

We love our 2013 VTX. Fits in the garage at home so it's there when we want to go. Surfs good and we can and do run it on the course when we want to. Not a slalom tug but if you only ski the course a handful of times each year--it works out as a perfect fit. Open water is fine. If I was ready to get rid of I would offer you mine but still like it to much!!  Good luck!!