Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2016 23 LSV Power Wedge stuck in Lift position

Correct, will not move while boat is moving.       The Power Wedge debug screen is blinking 0-1 back and forth.      Warning signal came on to “calibrate wedge”.         Wont move and cant hear any hydraulic trying to budge it.  

The +/- on the debug screen won't make it move?

If not, tripped breaker, bad actuator or other power problem.

Edited by 23LSVOwner
  • 2 weeks later...

Update—- mechanic has replaced the sensor but is now needing to replace the relay switch.    

This is 2016 LSV with 350 hours

FYI when the wedge is stuck in lift position, the boat is useless. 

The wedge has a red hydraulic bypass valve on the top of the actuator.  It can be accessed through a hole in the top of the wedge bracket.  If you turn it counter clockwise about three turns the wedge can be lifted or lowered by hand, then the valve can be turned clockwise and locked into place.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, csleaver said:

The wedge has a red hydraulic bypass valve on the top of the actuator.  It can be accessed through a hole in the top of the wedge bracket.  If you turn it counter clockwise about three turns the wedge can be lifted or lowered by hand, then the valve can be turned clockwise and locked into place.

^this^.

Dealer should have told you that.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

The breaker has a small lever that will pop down at an angle from the center when tripped.  Push the lever back up flush with the center of the breaker to reset it.  Many breakers also have a small red button that will allow you to trip the breaker when you push it in which causes the lever to pop down, but not all of them have the red button.

I am having a similar issue on my 2015 VLX. Wedge is stuck in lift and won’t move up towards Stow. Recalibrated using debug screen and adjusted screws on sensor. When I press “-“ I can hear wedge trying to move but when I press “+” nothing happens. Used the red hydraulic bypass to manually raise the wedge back to Stow and retightened. Took it for a spin and was able to deploy the wedge but its now back to Lift and won’t raise again. Checked the fuses under the helm, and it’s good.  Only thing I haven’t tried is checking the breaker you’re referring to near the engine as I can’t find it. Any suggestions?

Check your relay pack on the inside transom.  If one of the two relays fail the wedge will only work in one direction.  Sometimes tapping on the relays while using debug assist to lift the wedge can temporarily un-stick the relay. 

The relay output can be tested at the harness plug to the wedge.  The relays cause the power and ground to change polarity to make the wedge go up or down.  A really quick way to see if a relay is being triggered is by using a small handheld compass.  The internal relay coil on the 85 86 relay circuit creates a magnetic field that will cause a compass held near it to react when the relay receives the power or ground signal that connects the 30 87 circuit in the relay.  The 30 87 relay terminals are normally open and then close when the 85 86 terminals get a power and ground signal to energize the internal coil.

The relays are a potted set with the harness wiring and connectors and must be replaced as a complete component.

Thanks for the reponse, csleaver.  I will definitely check the relay pack. 

Interesting that the wedge issue didn't happen until AFTER I had an issue with my starboard Surf Gate.  After multiple stop-starts trying to teach a kid to surf, my starboard Surf Gate became nonresponsive and stuck in the open position. Finally was able to recalibrate through settings and the Surf Gate closed and worked properly.  However the wedge then became stuck in Lift and wouldn't raise. If it is indeed the relay pack, is that something that is fairly easy to replace (unplug old; plug in new), or will a dealer need to perform the repair?

Thanks again for the guidance.

• 1 year later...
On 6/13/2018 at 11:55 PM, csleaver said:

I can’t find the red screw.  Anyone have more details or a pic of the location?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2022 at 11:18 AM, RandyM88 said:

I can’t find the red screw.  Anyone have more details or a pic of the location?

This is the red wedge release screw on my 2015 23lsv.  You have to access it from the top of the wedge bracket (between the swim platform and the wedge bracket). It is canted at about 20 degree angle towards the bow.  A short stubby flathead can get it pretty easily if you are on the water.  If you are on the trailer it may be easier to remove the swim platform to get a better look.  I keep a stubby Klein 10-in-1 screwdriver on board ever since my wedge failed in a similar fashion.

wedge release.jpg

@RandyM88 FWIW my wedge relay module had to be replaced when this happened to me (wedge would get stuck in lift mode, and could not be debugged to move it back up).  Not very expensive at around $400 installed at AWS in Oregon City (awesome local malibu dealer), but it did take 8 months for them to be able to get one in stock to replace it with.  It failed at the end of last summer (sept 2021), and was finally replaced just before Memorial Day weekend.  That was during the height of covid electronics shortages so you might have better luck now that production seems to have picked back up a little.