Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Another stain/pollen thread

victoryismine06

I think these are from pollen, honestly not sure. I tried Boat Bling's Vinyl Sauce, it didn't even pretend to take it off. From what I've read, sunshine and maybe a magic marker? Not sure how I feel about that yet. Boat has 10hrs on it and can't believe this happened. Suggestions? 

There's a few right on the top of the wake-view seat that are very noticeable. My OCD can't handle it

A few pics: http://imgur.com/gallery/oSPBtvi

.aN2yfa1.jpg

Yikes, that stinks. I believe you meant Magic Eraser and not Magic Marker. Not sure if I would resort to that yet, kind of a last resort. There's also some other stuff called Totally Awesome which can be bought in the dollar store. It too is something to be used in only those cases where nothing else seems to work, away from stitching and wiped of thoroughly after you use it. Good luck... 

Okay, I'll maybe give that a try. I can test one of the spots in between the rear hatch cover. I saw a guy on youtube using CLR but not sure I'm that brave yet. I've only used a microfiber towel so maybe that Totally Awesome and soft brush will do.

Don't use totally awesome or anything that is not made specifically for Marine vinyl.  Harsh products will get it really clean but may remove the protective coating causing it to stain easier in the future.  You'll see a lot of YouTube "pros" using harsh stuff and they get great results but what do they care if they remove the protective coating making it more stain prone....that's just more repeated business for them. 

I know it's hard to do but the best thing to do is chill out, clean the vinyl regularly with a little extra attention to those spots and they will fade sooner then you think. 

I accidentally left a life jacket on my seat last season while boat was covered in my driveway.  The jacket colors bled and the logo transferred to the vinyl.  I was not super thrilled about the pink hyper light logo on my seat but it was gone by the end of a week long cabin trip.  I cleaned vinyl every other day with micro fiber and boat candys vinyl product nothing harsh at all. 

Folex carpet cleaner with a bristle brush is what I have used for years.   It's very safe for any vinyl and does a great job of getting stains out.  You can buy it in gallon containers at Lowes or Home Depot.

If I cant get it out with Folex/Brush I let the sun and father time take care of it.  I have found from my first boat back in 2008 you can quickly make things worse.  Almost like picking at a zit when you were a teenager...let 'er be left alone.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001B0V5GG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_F-lfBbA05AP3Z

I'm trying to come to terms with it. I bought the boat to enjoy and not stress about it. Not sure if I could handle a pink hyperlite logo on my seat though. This is all a first for me, I guess I'm surprised at how careful we have to be with everything.

I'll see if I can grab some Folex and give it a try. Like you said, I'm equally worried about making it worse. 

On a side note, is there a recommended cleaner for the gator step? I don't think I saw anything in the owners manual and didn't find much from the Googles.

On 6/4/2018 at 10:25 PM, victoryismine06 said:

I'm trying to come to terms with it. I bought the boat to enjoy and not stress about it. Not sure if I could handle a pink hyperlite logo on my seat though. This is all a first for me, I guess I'm surprised at how careful we have to be with everything.

I'll see if I can grab some Folex and give it a try. Like you said, I'm equally worried about making it worse. 

On a side note, is there a recommended cleaner for the gator step? I don't think I saw anything in the owners manual and didn't find much from the Googles.

Try WD-40.  It gets fingernail polish and fin scuffs out of upholstery.  May work on this.  Not sure.  Easy test. 

On 6/4/2018 at 7:25 PM, victoryismine06 said:

Folex will work great on gator step, dont forget the bristle brush...they work together.  You will be surprised on what the sun will also bleach out over time.  Dont stress out too much over it!  Have fun:)

• 1 month later...

I had a bug commit suicide on the rear corner seat in my boat /port side.  Didn't see it until it had dried and baked in.  I tried everything on that stain.  I just noticed the other day that it is completely gone now.  Only took 5 years lol.  Father time is your friend...