Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Co-worker Looking for a coastal and inland lake fishing/tubing Boat

Ndawg12

I don't know jack about fishing boats.  He wants a boat he can use at home on Lake Norman to do a little fishing and tubing with his kids.  He also makes several trips (6-10) to the coast a year and would like to haul it down there to fish as well.  His price range is 20-40K and would like to stay 4 years old or newer.  He has a family of 4 but would like comfortable room for 3-4 more.  

Seems to me all inboards are bullet proof these days but are there any to stay away from, or specific year(s) of a particular brand to stay away from?

Would you suggest it be a salt series boat/motor or will regular flushes suffice?

Please post ideas or links you feel would suit his needs at a good deal.

BTW, he's currently looking at a 2016 218 Carolina Skiff with a Suzuki 115 with 40 hours on it.

Edited by Ndawg12

I would not recommend any inboard or v-drive ski or wakeboard boat for coastal boating.  These are "generally" safe on lakes and rivers but even on a large lake, high winds or storms can make them unsafe. 

Coastal boating is entirely different with surge, waves from the wind that can build from larger distances, wakes from large ships, quick changes in weather, tides impacted by swell and wind, currents that can take you out to sea.  I would recommend a boat specifically designed for coastal waters which could be an outboard or an inboard/outboard.  These boats are generally going to have higher freeboard, higher bow, more of a deep V hull for handling waves and more safety equipment such as fixed mount VHF with a large antenna and a good anchor with plenty of rope or chain.  Most of these would likely be fine for occasional tubing and all would be great for cruising on a lake although might not have the same seating arrangements.

I didn't properly read your question as it does not appear your friend is considering a wakeboard boat.  But if he is the above would all apply.

I assume he is looking for a boat that will be trailered for the most part and not left in the water most of the time.  That will add a lot of other factors such as bottom paint, hull cleaning, zincs and better bilge pumps with an onboard charger.  The cost goes up a lot when moored in salt water.  If it is occasional salt water use a thorough flushing would likely be sufficient but a closed cooling system would be better; although, I would likely flush that too as there will still be some salt water in part of the system.  I would also look for a galvanized trailer as just occasional salt water use can be really hard on a regular steel trailer.

Good anchor and VHF would still be a must in my mind.  I would also add flares, signal devices (strobe and mirror) and a satellite based emergency beacon/location device if doing coastal boating. 

Wish I knew more about good fishing boats.

3 minutes ago, BSUBU_Kris said:

I didn't properly read your question as it does not appear your friend is considering a wakeboard boat.  But if he is the above would all apply.

I assume he is looking for a boat that will be trailered for the most part and not left in the water most of the time.  That will add a lot of other factors such as bottom paint, hull cleaning, zincs and better bilge pumps with an onboard charger.  The cost goes up a lot when moored in salt water.  If it is occasional salt water use a thorough flushing would likely be sufficient but a closed cooling system would be better; although, I would likely flush that too as there will still be some salt water in part of the system.  I would also look for a galvanized trailer as just occasional salt water use can be really hard on a regular steel trailer.

Good anchor and VHF would still be a must in my mind.  I would also add flares, signal devices (strobe and mirror) and a satellite based emergency beacon/location device if doing coastal boating. 

Wish I knew more about good fishing boats.

Yeah, he will trailer everywhere, good question.

Its Going to be hard to fish off of a bow rider, and going to be hard to put 8 people on a center console. I personally would be looking for a center console with lots of seating if he was wanting to only fish and tube, not sure how big of a boat he is looking for. 

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/boa/d/2014-sea-fox-226-commander/6545728256.html  not sure about sea fox, but the seating configuration in some of the newer boats are nice. 

Edited by 1HELLUVALIFE