Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sub pre-out 2010 23LSV

Ryan1776

I have looked all over and cannot find anything about this. 
I'm sure someone will be able to link some thread for this. It has to have been discussed at length. I'm probably not searching correctly. 
Where do I tap into the existing system for a sub? Are there rca pre outs on the back of the head unit?

There is not a sub currently in the boat. 
For the amp can I just screw into that side panel next to all the other amps? 

Thank you!

The (black box) RFX-3000 has the RCAs on it. The RCA's should be on the backside of that abortion Malibu calls the amp board. The ends are or should be marked with labels. You will also see a connector for a CD changer which is hot, but according to RF they sacrificed that function for another ability. You can place the amp on the board where ever there is room. My sub was between the in boat amp fore and the tower amp aft on the board. I would seriously consider pulling the whole amp board or at a minimum "strain relieve" every wire, cable and connection on that thing. I was fighting stereo gremlins for years until I finally got tired of hunting down loose connections and went through the whole thing.  The sub wires for my amp were run down through the hull hole in the drivers side foot well and cross over under the deck and come up behind the batteries. You can very easily run them behind or in front of the front ballast tank if so equipped, just isolate them from other electrical wires. JM2C 

18 hours ago, wdr said:

The RCA's should be on the backside of that abortion Malibu calls the amp board.

:rofl:

GOT IT! Thank you very much! Piece of cake actually. 

18 hours ago, wdr said:

The sub wires for my amp were run down through the hull hole in the drivers side foot well and cross over under the deck and come up behind the batteries

Is there a conduit tube? Or did you just pin them up out of the way? 

1 hour ago, Ryan1776 said:

:rofl:

GOT IT! Thank you very much! Piece of cake actually. 

Is there a conduit tube? Or did you just pin them up out of the way? 

On my factory installed sub, Malibu just shielded the wires in some of that cheapo black corrugated plastic and dropped them through the hole and ran them from one side to other. They are sitting on top of the center ballast tank as far as I can see. There are conduit tubes that run the length of the boat on both side in the Fibecs rails. They house the + / - wires from the engine to the batteries. There is the square hollow metal hull structural support piece that runs laterally between the passenger and driver side dash that you could run the wires through as also. I would be sure to shield the wires well if you go that route. Honestly, the easiest and least cuss word and blood producing route would be to go behind the front ballast tank. There are pre-drilled access holes and poor construction techniques (at least on mine) that allow passage to/from both sides so you can easily pass the wires through in numerous places. Plus you can remove the carpeted center walk through kick panel for easy access to both for pulling wires.

1 hour ago, wdr said:

On my factory installed sub, Malibu just shielded the wires in some of that cheapo black corrugated plastic and dropped them through the hole and ran them from one side to other. They are sitting on top of the center ballast tank as far as I can see. There are conduit tubes that run the length of the boat on both side in the Fibecs rails. They house the + / - wires from the engine to the batteries. There is the square hollow metal hull structural support piece that runs laterally between the passenger and driver side dash that you could run the wires through as also. I would be sure to shield the wires well if you go that route. Honestly, the easiest and least cuss word and blood producing route would be to go behind the front ballast tank. There are pre-drilled access holes and poor construction techniques (at least on mine) that allow passage to/from both sides so you can easily pass the wires through in numerous places. Plus you can remove the carpeted center walk through kick panel for easy access to both for pulling wires.

Sounds like the plan then! Thanks very much! Shouldn't be more than a 2-3 beer job. 

I hate to even ask this because I'm sure it's been asked a million times, what the deal with hooking up a WS420 to this thing? I can't seem to find a thread on it. 

Edited by Ryan1776
33 minutes ago, Ryan1776 said:

what the deal with hooking up a WS420 to this thing?

As in the black box? Same as any other traditional head unit with RCA pre-outs. Use any of the full range outputs, like front, rear, fixed or non-fade depending on features and nomenclature. 

At this point, finding the BB's SUB output is moot point.

Edited by MLA

Here is a good thread:

I just googled "Wetsound 420 install malibu vlx"

I just installed an Exile ZLD last weekend. I used my front cabin rca's coming out of the black box to run output rca's to the ZLD. I disconnected the rear and sub outputs from the black box.  All other rca's will now run from your 420 to the correct amp from the 420 output. I removed my sub and ran the wires from the hole in the far left corner under the helm behind the front ballast hard tank (pulled the carpet kick panel to access and pull wires) then thru the hole to behind the batteries and to the amp rack.

For you now without a 420, just run a set of rca's from the black box sub output (set of rca ends hanging from black box) to your sub amp. Hook your power and ground into your distribution blocks on the amp rack and daisy chain your remote power wire from one of your other amps.

12 minutes ago, jwl019 said:

I disconnected the rear and sub outputs from the black box.  All other rca's will now run from your 420 to the correct amp from the 420 output.

Thank you! 

Since the black box is still sending the output signal does the auto volume control and input selector still work from the Malivu dash? I understand that the 420 volume control will still have the "final say" in the ultimate volume level. 

Edited by Ryan1776
41 minutes ago, Ryan1776 said:

Oh oh so the 420 send it's signal to the black box? 

I don't have the WS420 yet. Was asking for future knowledge. 

No, other way. The black box is the OUTPUT, thats we we connect to the Pre-Out RCA's. Then the signal goes into the zone volume controller, then out again to each amp/zone. 

If your music source is still funneling through the black box, then the auto-volume will still function as before.  

Your EQ/Zone controller retailer will be able to help with the fine details of setup and configuration, when you are ready to add one into the system. 

Edited by MLA

7 minutes ago, MLA said:

No, other way. The black box is the OUTPUT, thats we we connect to the Pre-Out RCA's. Then the signal goes into the zone volume controller, then out again to each amp/zone. 

Sorry! That's what I heard in my head, just typed it out wrong! :blush:

Outstanding! Thank you! 

2 hours ago, Ryan1776 said:

Sounds like the plan then! Thanks very much! Shouldn't be more than a 2-3 beer job. 

I hate to even ask this because I'm sure it's been asked a million times, what the deal with hooking up a WS420 to this thing? I can't seem to find a thread on it. 

IMO, putting in a zone controller was one of the best bangs for the buck I did stereo wise. Easy job as well. I have all WS, but the big E is just a good from what I read on here. To each his own.

8 minutes ago, wdr said:

IMO, putting in a zone controller was one of the best bangs for the buck I did stereo wise. Easy job as well. I have all WS, but the big E is just a good from what I read on here. To each his own.

I completely agree. I had one in my Supra, but it gave up the ghost. Where I mounted it was low near the floor and I had gotten it wet a few too many times. 
But I like it very much and will certainly install one again. Just gotta find a deal on one. Spent a lot of money this year with first acquiring the boat, then upgrading the ballast. 

Edited by Ryan1776