Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Introducing…. the newest addition to Colorado, a 2012 VLX and a brand new boater!

TIMOWJ03

After a lot of obsessing… errrr ummm, research, I finally decided and purchased a 2012 VLX for my first boat. I’m new to boat ownership and boating in general outside of the summer rentals over the last few years. A far far cry from owning your own boat! I’m looking forward to a fantastic summer with my kiddos learning to surf and getting to know TMC family. I’m planning on putting her in this weekend for her maiden (to me) voyage, possibly Friday as long as it will pass the hull inspections. Wish me luck!!

Any words of wisdom are appreciated. :-)

Edited by TIMOWJ03
MalibuNation

1. I'll add that when picking up a downed rider approach them on the driver's /right side so you can see them better.

2. Don't use driver's / right side say starboard :lol:

3. No power turns unless the rider is in danger or hurt.

4. When giving advice to a newbie only one person should be doing this vs everyone in the boat telling them to do something.

• Like 2

Welcome from another Colorado boater.  What lake(s) are you planning on using the boat at?

If you bought the boat from a dealer (Tommy's) you should make them decontaminate and seal the boat before you use it the first time.  It takes me about an hour to go through decontamination if there isn't anyone ahead of me, and that is with me telling the inspectors what to do.

Congrats on the new boat... Pictures are needed!!

My wife and I love the Boulder area.   We usually stay in Westminster when we head out there, not far from Broomfield.   We visit "Four Noses" when we are there if you are familiar :lol: 

My real question:  We've never considered moving/retiring to that area because it doesn't seem like there are any lakes around there to boat on.  There seem to be lot of reservoirs but very little boating or houses on water that allow boating.

Interested in what lakes are nearby your area that are good for boating.  may visit a few the next time we are out there.

Thanks all. I was successful in our first outing to Boyd Lake. Pic coming soon. 

On 5/31/2018 at 9:06 AM, CedarLakeSkier said:

Congrats on the new boat... Pictures are needed!!

My wife and I love the Boulder area.   We usually stay in Westminster when we head out there, not far from Broomfield.   We visit "Four Noses" when we are there if you are familiar :lol: 

My real question:  We've never considered moving/retiring to that area because it doesn't seem like there are any lakes around there to boat on.  There seem to be lot of reservoirs but very little boating or houses on water that allow boating.

Interested in what lakes are nearby your area that are good for boating.  may visit a few the next time we are out there.

CedarLake Skier,

I dont have any experience with the lake/reservoirs here so I cant help you with that. Maybe someday I'll be able to but thats not much help now. I will check out Four noses though. Thanks! 

On 5/31/2018 at 8:24 AM, RyanB said:

Welcome from another Colorado boater.  What lake(s) are you planning on using the boat at?

If you bought the boat from a dealer (Tommy's) you should make them decontaminate and seal the boat before you use it the first time.  It takes me about an hour to go through decontamination if there isn't anyone ahead of me, and that is with me telling the inspectors what to do.

RyanB, For now, I'll stick to water closest to me in northern CO. If you have any recommendations, I'm happy to hear them. 

On 5/31/2018 at 6:40 AM, MalibuNation said:

1. I'll add that when picking up a downed rider approach them on the driver's /right side so you can see them better.

2. Don't use driver's / right side say starboard :lol:

I totally agree with these tips.  Also, my wife hates it when I say port or starboard!!

• Like 1
22 hours ago, TIMOWJ03 said:

Thanks all. I was successful in our first outing to Boyd Lake. Pic coming soon. 

CedarLake Skier,

I dont have any experience with the lake/reservoirs here so I cant help you with that. Maybe someday I'll be able to but thats not much help now. I will check out Four noses though. Thanks! 

RyanB, For now, I'll stick to water closest to me in northern CO. If you have any recommendations, I'm happy to hear them. 

Welcome!   

Im also a Colorado guy... Live in Longmont, boat primarily at Horsetooth (Fort Collins) and an occasional trip to Carter on weekday evenings.   Carter is the closest to me, but has a bad reputation of being really rough on weekends.   Weekday evenings for a surf session, dinner on the boat, and watching the sun set over the mountains is pretty awesome.   Horsetooth is also notoriously crazy on weekend days, but when you get tired of the insanity, it has beautiful coves that you can go hide in.   We usually go early in the day on weekends, ski as early as possible, then surf until we are all tired.   Then we anchor in one of the coves, have a drink, and lunch, swim for a while, and generally chill.   If we stay late enough in the day, the lake will calm down, and we go out again.

Personally, I dont care for Boyd.   it is small,  and on my test drive of my first boat, I found myself crossing the center of the lake, and suddenly in sparse weeds, and 3 feet of water - while at WOT.    It wasnt marked... and that was the last time I was there.

Ryan knows options to the south better than I... I know he also likes Sterling (which I have not been to YET).   Powell is his favorite, and on my highest of priorities list.

Good luck with the boat... and if you see our BU on the lake, wave us down!

20 hours ago, JeffC said:

Welcome!   

Im also a Colorado guy... Live in Longmont, boat primarily at Horsetooth (Fort Collins) and an occasional trip to Carter on weekday evenings.   Carter is the closest to me, but has a bad reputation of being really rough on weekends.   Weekday evenings for a surf session, dinner on the boat, and watching the sun set over the mountains is pretty awesome.   Horsetooth is also notoriously crazy on weekend days, but when you get tired of the insanity, it has beautiful coves that you can go hide in.   We usually go early in the day on weekends, ski as early as possible, then surf until we are all tired.   Then we anchor in one of the coves, have a drink, and lunch, swim for a while, and generally chill.   If we stay late enough in the day, the lake will calm down, and we go out again.

Personally, I dont care for Boyd.   it is small,  and on my test drive of my first boat, I found myself crossing the center of the lake, and suddenly in sparse weeds, and 3 feet of water - while at WOT.    It wasnt marked... and that was the last time I was there.

Ryan knows options to the south better than I... I know he also likes Sterling (which I have not been to YET).   Powell is his favorite, and on my highest of priorities list.

Good luck with the boat... and if you see our BU on the lake, wave us down!

Thanks JeffC. Good to get some feedback on Boyd. We're going out this weekend so will try to hit up Horsetooth. I have camped at Carter a few times and love it there. I like the idea of evening trips out to Carter but I wasn't sure I could squeeze it in.  Sounds like its doable. Powell is definitely on my bucket list. 

I'll keep an eye out for you. Do the same for me. I'll post a pic shortly. 

11 hours ago, TIMOWJ03 said:

Thanks JeffC. Good to get some feedback on Boyd. We're going out this weekend so will try to hit up Horsetooth. I have camped at Carter a few times and love it there. I like the idea of evening trips out to Carter but I wasn't sure I could squeeze it in.  Sounds like its doable. Powell is definitely on my bucket list. 

I'll keep an eye out for you. Do the same for me. I'll post a pic shortly. 

Our plan right now is to be at Horsetooth Friday afternoon/evening, and pretty much all day Sunday.   We should be on the lake in the morning, and then we typically hang out in Dixon Cove later in the day.   This is us...

yYQW9dEh.jpg?1

• Like 2

Welcome to the ‘crew!! Great lookin’ bu🤙

my advice is to make everything fun and everyone will enjoy the boat.

backing up and steering while not under power is the most difficult thing to get used to, especially when docking or loading on the trailer. The other is the stern swing that happens while turning because the rudder is under the boat. Many have hit a dock or another boat with their rear end because they didn’t realize that turning will push the stern the opposite way from where the bow is going

Have you, wife, and whatever kids are boat driving age practice these things in non-stressful situations. It’ll take a season to get used to it, so be patient, don’t yell. explain once then after that only compliments when they do it right, and ignore or just deal with it when it’s done wrong.

get all who are driving age boater safety certified.

remember that the rope is the most dangerous thing on a boat while under power.

lastly, be courteous and thoughtful to your fellow boaters. Everyone is out there for a good time.

I’m not sure I really have any recommendations for Colorado lakes. I think most of them leave a lot to be desired. 😉. 

Horsetooth is ok during the week, but too busy for me on weekends. 

We usually go out to Sterling (will be there the next two weekends). Wyoming (Glendo and Guernsey) are ok. But Powell is my favorite. But you have to be pretty committed to going there for anything less than 4 or 5 days. We usually do 5 or so trips there per year. 

• Like 2
On 6/9/2018 at 8:50 PM, RyanB said:

I’m not sure I really have any recommendations for Colorado lakes. I think most of them leave a lot to be desired. 😉. 

Horsetooth is ok during the week, but too busy for me on weekends. 

We usually go out to Sterling (will be there the next two weekends). Wyoming (Glendo and Guernsey) are ok. But Powell is my favorite. But you have to be pretty committed to going there for anything less than 4 or 5 days. We usually do 5 or so trips there per year. 

Boy can I confirm that for Horsetooth this weekend.   We were out Friday afternoon/evening, and it was spectacular.  Very few boats, water was great, we surfed until we could surf no more. 

Sunday was a complete zoo.  Normally a day on the lake drops my blood pressure by 10 points, but Sunday the level of stupidity of downright rude behavior at launch time was off the charts.  We wound up spending the day in a cove, but I wanted to surf on the way back to south bay.    I didnt see it, but apparently there was a jetskier jumping my wake 25 yards behind the boat.     Shortly after that, Mary had to shut the boat down while I was surfing because there was an idiot coming straight at us at high speed.  (wrong side of the lake).   I did see him coming, and had some pretty choice words for him as he sped by me about 15 yards away - he was threading a gap between us, and a boat to our starboard side.   He was WOT, or close to it.     That was enough for me, and I just got back in the boat.   I love to surf, but it aint worth gettting hurt or worse.    I dont know where the rangers were, didnt see even one all day.  They are usually crawling the place on weekends.

• Like 3

Welcome!  Truth be told if I wasn't on a private lake the boat would be gone or we'd have moved by now, our "lakes" are just stupid on the weekends & way to many morons on the water at dangerous levels these days.  CO needs to make boater safety a requirement & more rangers patrolling the water.  We like Sterling as well but everyone needs to quit talking about it or it's gonna be ruined too....

Glendo, Gurnsey & Grey Rock in WY are usually decent on weekends but can also get crazy.  Since you're already up north though they're worth the drive.  If you want to go further Seminoe is awesome. 

Learn to power load, I don't care who argues that it should be walked on, our boat docks are STUPID with stupid people & long waits, learn to back truck up, drive the boat on & GTFO before some fisherman, pontoon, people who don't know how to boat block all the docks & don't move or possibly hit your boat.  Always do your staging in the staging area, do not get to the dock then stage your stuff, unstrap or strap on the dock unless you want to possibly throw hands with a drunk or other impatient CO boaters.  Everyone has gone to wake surfing & weekends will be a choppy mess & even early mornings have been taken over by other surfers trying to get good water thus no one gets good water.  Horse is really my only weekend suggestion as you can get some riding in then hang in the coves & swim.  My kids are older so we would typically tie off with the partiers & party in the party cove.   I know your question is going to be "how can I get on a private lake".  It is very hard, expensive & they all have long waiting lists.  I believe if you move to Longmont you have access to their private lake, but I don't remember how that works up there.  Enjoy the new boat!

Edited by racer808
1 hour ago, JeffC said:

Boy can I confirm that for Horsetooth this weekend.   We were out Friday afternoon/evening, and it was spectacular.  Very few boats, water was great, we surfed until we could surf no more. 

Sunday was a complete zoo.  Normally a day on the lake drops my blood pressure by 10 points, but Sunday the level of stupidity of downright rude behavior at launch time was off the charts.  We wound up spending the day in a cove, but I wanted to surf on the way back to south bay.    I didnt see it, but apparently there was a jetskier jumping my wake 25 yards behind the boat.     Shortly after that, Mary had to shut the boat down while I was surfing because there was an idiot coming straight at us at high speed.  (wrong side of the lake).   I did see him coming, and had some pretty choice words for him as he sped by me about 15 yards away - he was threading a gap between us, and a boat to our starboard side.   He was WOT, or close to it.     That was enough for me, and I just got back in the boat.   I love to surf, but it aint worth gettting hurt or worse.    I dont know where the rangers were, didnt see even one all day.  They are usually crawling the place on weekends.

Funny you mention that.  We went to Horse last year, first public outing in a long time since we were out of water at our lake.  Almost got hit by a moron hauling a**, looking behind his boat towing a tube & got with-in 5' of the bow of our boat.  If I wasn't fully loaded I would have chase his a** back to the dock.  We're just done if we lose our spot, I hate our public lakes & humans.

13 minutes ago, racer808 said:

CO needs to make boater safety a requirement & more rangers patrolling the water. 

^^^^^ This! 

I am generally not a fan of government intervention in anything, but in this case I completely agree with this.    We require passing a written and driving test to get a drivers license.   It may be time for something similar.   The traffic on the public lakes is already crazy, and with the influx of people to CO, it is going to get worse before it gets better.   Ill give the guy blasting up the west side of the lake going north the benefit of the doubt... perhaps he doesnt KNOW about the counter clockwise rule... Common sense should have told him it was a bad idea to go against the grain of ALL the rest of the traffic, but I guess some poeple dont possess a lot of common sense.  

I took the boating safety course = not because it was required, but because it was a smart thing to do.   It had the pleasant side effect of getting me a discount on my insurance.

I really dont know where the rangers were yesterday... typically they are all over the place.   Last year they lit up a jet skier that was jumping my wake even further back (probably twice as far back). 

On another note, I believe there is a lot of value in educating boaters on the impact of our sports... things like conducting wake sports away from docks, and vulnerable shorelines.    I worry that the ignorance of some will get things like wakeboarding and surfing outright banned at many lakes.   Again, yesterday, we saw a surf boat hugging the no wake buoys along the eastern side of Horsetooth, by the old yacht club.   I get that he might have been meeting the letter of the law, but throwing a monster wake into the moorings and docks just makes NO sense.   I dont want my boat tied up there when those rollers come in. 

Sorry for the off topic...

Yeah, I won’t sign off on the education requirement because I don’t think it would make a difference. 

Two years ago at Horsetooth i had a Ranger following too close to my surfer. If he doesn’t follow the rules/display common sense, I don’t think requiring education would make a difference either. 

All reasons we drive 2.5 hours or more to enjoy a weekend on the water. 😢

Blue Mesa is nice if you can handle cold water. And John Martin is pretty good and about the same distance and an easy drive without much traffic. 

The required decontaminations is making me think twice about going anywhere out of state other than Powell. 

Edited by RyanB
1 hour ago, RyanB said:

Yeah, I won’t sign off on the education requirement because I don’t think it would make a difference. 

Two years ago at Horsetooth i had a Ranger following too close to my surfer. If he doesn’t follow the rules/display common sense, I don’t think requiring education would make a difference either. 

Yeah you are right, some of the rangers so far have been idiots. 

19 hours ago, RyanB said:

Perhaps... I actually think I got some valuable stuff out of taking the course back before I bought the first boat... but to be honest, I cant tell you what that was anymore.  It is true that I knew quite a bit of it in advance, but It was definitely at least worth the time to get the insurance discount.   Your point is well taken though, you cant fix stupid, there is no doubt in my mind that the guy charging north up the west side of the lake at WOT was... well...  stupid.   

We will be at horsetooth again this weekend,  my time will be Friday late afternoon/evening.  We will be there over the weekend too, but I will be there early enough to hopefully avoid the moron madness at the ramp.    When the craziness starts, I will go hide in a cove. 

• Like 2

What I got out of the safety course was rights of way.  If a rider is in the water & a boat already moving underway wanting to cross your path who has the right of way.  How to use your red/green lights for who yields to who.  We learned what drowning looks like.  Lots of it commons sense stuff which I forget many many people have none of.  We even talked about launch ramps, drunks & why hanging out drinking a six pack at the ramp is damn entertaining with some MMA thrown in. 

I didn't mean to come off so negative if I did.  Boating in CO just got to the point where my blood was boiling every time we went out.  But I have tons of good memories, we managed to have fun no matter how bad it was.  I do forget that terrible days on the water are still better than nice days anywhere else!

Thank you all for the great feedback. I've been learning a ton with these posts and "on the job training" on Carter on Friday and Sunday. I agree with the boater safety courses which have been helpful. I have witnessed some interesting boat ramp techniques and how "not" to do's. I have owned a travel trailer and can back up like a champ! I definitely have a lot to learn still with the boat drift, unloading  as well as docking. Perplexing but I'm making progress. We tried to surf this weekend and found that learning to drive the boat for a surfer is probably as hard as getting on the board for the first time. Lots more to learn on that front. I might ask one of my TMC friends to do a sit with someday if I spot one of you on the lake. 

On 6/9/2018 at 6:10 AM, braindamage said:

My advice is to make everything fun and everyone will enjoy the boat.

Have you, wife, and whatever kids are boat driving age practice these things in non-stressful situations. It’ll take a season to get used to it, so be patient, don’t yell. explain once then after that only compliments when they do it right, and ignore or just deal with it when it’s done wrong.

lastly, be courteous and thoughtful to your fellow boaters. Everyone is out there for a good time.

Not to leave anyone out but Braindamage had some great advice that I wish I had before the last weekend. Its stressful on the dock and lets not forget to make it fun for all on the boat. Don't yell at he kids! LOL. I get it!! ;-) Great advice. Thanks. My kids thank you.

• Like 1
On 6/6/2018 at 10:55 PM, JeffC said:

Our plan right now is to be at Horsetooth Friday afternoon/evening, and pretty much all day Sunday.   We should be on the lake in the morning, and then we typically hang out in Dixon Cove later in the day.   This is us...

yYQW9dEh.jpg?1

I'm planning a trip out to Horsetooth this Saturday or MAYBE Sunday. I'll try to repost prior. Keep an eye out for me. :-)