Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tandem v. Triple Axle Trailers

Chappy

10 hours ago, Dfowkes said:

The extra tires allow the trailer to handle more weight and to be more stable at higher speeds and highway conditions. Higher payload capacity means more room for whatever you are hauling. Think about the dry weight which does not include all your gear, I’ve chests, lead and maybe 600 lbs of fuel. The triple maybe a little more difficult to back up and fit into a tight space but it tied like a dream. 

D913F544-3DCB-425D-A9B8-BC7B276B7955.jpeg

What is your tow vehicle?

1 hour ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

No we went from comparing tandem axle boat trailer vs triple axel boat trailers vs tandem axel boat trailer vs 80-100k tandem axel semi trailers. I made the vtx vs aircraft carrier comparison to show how ridiculous comparing a boat trailer to semi trailer is...

Thread officially derailed:lol:

1 hour ago, Jmann said:

I dont know if the 3rd axle on the boat has brakes but if they do, an extra set of brakes can be a worthwhile addition.

I own a fleet of heavy trucks, that all have at least one set and some have two sets of 20000 lb lift axles under them.  The trucks dont need the axles to help carry the load and in fact the axles are raised when off highway, but the one or two sets of extra brakes really help with todays moronic text and drive hazards.

Yes, they do.

Well, I just ordered a 24 MXZ with a triple axle and will be towing it with a Lincoln Navigator.  Will let you all know how it goes.  If I need a new rig the wife is going to kill me:whistle:

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Falko said:

I think you'll be fine.

Better be or my wife may be on here trying to sell a 2019 24 MXZ with 0 hours:biggrin:

On 6/1/2018 at 11:23 AM, Chappy said:

Well, I just ordered a 24 MXZ with a triple axle and will be towing it with a Lincoln Navigator.  Will let you all know how it goes.  If I need a new rig the wife is going to kill me:whistle:

What engine does your Navi have and is it short or long wheelbase?

Check your trailer toungue height closely when it arrives. If it’s like my 3 axel and several others I have talked to. They are really tall. On a ram 2500 4wd with 35” tires I’m running 4.5” rise hitch to get it right. Only trailer I have ever pulled with this truck that I don’t use at least 3” of drop. 

• Like 2

Thisss ^^^^^^

With my 2014 23 lsv tandem trailer. I went from a 2inch drop on my Leveled F350 on 35’s 

to 

2 inch rise hitch with the 25 on triple

Edited by Stevo
  • Like 2
11 hours ago, IXFE said:

What engine does your Navi have and is it short or long wheelbase?

It has the Ecoboost V6, which surprisingly has plenty of torque and power. It has more HP and torque than the previous gen V8.  With that said when the turbo is spooled up I get about 8 miles to the gallon!  I am not too concerned about the power. It is the standard.

8 minutes ago, Chappy said:

It has the Ecoboost V6, which surprisingly has plenty of torque and power. It has more HP and torque than the previous gen V8.  With that said when the turbo is spooled up I get about 8 miles to the gallon!  I am not too concerned about the power. It is the standard.

Power won’t be your issue... wheelbase will be (unless you got the long one).

I'm speaking from experience. The reason I own an F250 today is cuz I spent an entire season towing a triple axle 25 LSV with a short wheelbase 1/2 ton SUV that had “plenty of torque.”  

22FD552D-B093-4D09-9D03-C25E23995905.jpeg

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, IXFE said:

I'm speaking from experience. The reason I own an F250 today is cuz I spent an entire season towing a triple axle 25 LSV with a short wheelbase 1/2 ton SUV that had “plenty of torque.”  

I am sure it will not be ideal but fortunately most of my towing is less than 10 miles to the local lake.

6 minutes ago, IXFE said:

Bet that did pull bad especially with that much tongue weight. Couldn’t imagine pulling our M with our Yukon. Prolly would have 6 or 8” rise hitch to get height right. Did your air shocks ever catch up with it like that? 

6 hours ago, spikew919 said:

Bet that did pull bad especially with that much tongue weight. Couldn’t imagine pulling our M with our Yukon. Prolly would have 6 or 8” rise hitch to get height right. Did your air shocks ever catch up with it like that? 

Air shocks handled the weight fine. Look at the ride height of the Yukon, perfectly level 

The issue with this setup is the short wheelbase. It’s the tail wagging the dog. Even with the triple axle trailer, the boat pushes the truck around way too much. I suspect a Chappy will have the same experience with his short wheelbase Expedition. 

Edited by IXFE
2 hours ago, IXFE said:

Air shocks handled the weight fine. Look at the ride height of the Yukon, perfectly level 

The issue with this setup is the short wheelbase. It’s the tail wagging the dog. Even with the triple axle trailer, the boat pushes the truck around way too much. I suspect a Chappy will have the same experience with his short wheelbase Expedition. 

The air bags did good it’s look like. Definitely kept it level. But look at the trailer. Most of the weight is on front axel. For sure a long wheelbase will pull better. But if the 3 axles had equal weight on them the thing wouldn’t wag nearly as bad. If at all. My dealer delivered mine with all weight on front axle also and I hitched it up that way, and didn’t like how it pulled at all even behind the 2500. Brakes didn’t stop nearly as good that way either. 

Not trying to argue. Just trying to let people know the 3 axle trailers are a good bit taller than the 2 axle ones. Just try it once and and you will see what I’m taking about. Or measure front and rear of trailer frame on level ground or look at equalizers between leafs of axles and get them close to level.  You will like the way it pulls a lot better. 

Have to agree about tongue weight being the issue and not the wheelbase of the tow vehicle.  Semi trucks don't have sway problems, yet the tractor is a fraction of the length of the trailer.

• Like 2
48 minutes ago, spikew919 said:

The air bags did good it’s look like. Definitely kept it level. But look at the trailer. Most of the weight is on front axel. For sure a long wheelbase will pull better. But if the 3 axles had equal weight on them the thing wouldn’t wag nearly as bad. If at all. My dealer delivered mine with all weight on front axle also and I hitched it up that way, and didn’t like how it pulled at all even behind the 2500. Brakes didn’t stop nearly as good that way either. 

Not trying to argue. Just trying to let people know the 3 axle trailers are a good bit taller than the 2 axle ones. Just try it once and and you will see what I’m taking about. Or measure front and rear of trailer frame on level ground or look at equalizers between leafs of axles and get them close to level.  You will like the way it pulls a lot better. 

Too late, he now has a dual axle and an f250...

• Like 2
55 minutes ago, nlouthan said:

Have to agree about tongue weight being the issue and not the wheelbase of the tow vehicle.  Semi trucks don't have sway problems, yet the tractor is a fraction of the length of the trailer.

You guys are right. Wheelbase means nothing when towing. 

An advantage semi's have towing is that they use a 5th-wheel, the attachment point is not cantilevered out behind the axle.  It's easier for bumper pull trailer to man handle the tow vehicle, pushing it side to side when swaying. A longer wheelbase tow vehicle mitigates this. 

Also, I've found that a shorter wheelbase trailer is more prone to swaying and oscillations than a longer one.  

The navigator will handle it with no tail wag at the diastance to your ramp and back for sure as long as you evenly distribute weight over the 3 axles, done by getting correct hitch height. Also may want dealer to add electric over hydraulic actuator so you will have brakes backing down ramp. 

I would think a triple axle would have a negative effect on a short wheel base truck. Those tri-axles want to go straight in a bad way, I think that would push the tail of the truck on turns and any change in vectors. 

But OP, take it easy and you'll be fine.

• Like 2
20 hours ago, IXFE said:

I wish gas was $2.19.  In CA near me 91 is running close to $4.00 per gallon 😬

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Dfowkes said:

I wish gas was $2.19.  In CA near me 91 is running close to $4.00 per gallon 😬

I want to say that was somewhere in West Tennessee. We had to stop every 100 miles to fill up so $2.19 was a welcomed expense.

Back to Bay Area reality , I Topped off the 25 with 32 gallons yesterday to the tune of $118,