Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tandem v. Triple Axle Trailers

Chappy

Tandem is cheaper and easier to maneuver but doesn’t handle as well. In my opinion and the opinion of many other dealers I talked to but the triple is only needed on the really big boats when towing with a 1/2 truck. The triple tracks a lot nicer on the highway and takes some weight off the truck. 

What boat are you looking at? The 25lsv, m235 and 24mxz would be the only ones that would be reasonable. 

Ive got the tandem rated for 8400 with no complaints. 

They could twin 4750# and still have plenty of breathing room. There is absolutely ZERO need for a triple axle trailer for a wakeboarding boat.

Tongue weight should ALWAYS be around 10-15% of the total trailer weight. So if you're relying on adding axles to reduce your tongue weight, then you need to learn a thing or two about proper towing.

Edited by boardjnky4
6 minutes ago, boardjnky4 said:

They could twin 4750# and still have plenty of breathing room. There is absolutely ZERO need for a triple axle trailer for a wakeboarding boat.

Tongue weight should ALWAYS be around 10-15% of the total trailer weight. So if you're relying on adding axles to reduce your tongue weight, then you need to learn a thing or two about proper towing.

That is the key...

but they look cool!

Edited by hunter77ah

In a perfect world, there is zero need.  But when the manufactures keep putting twin 3500 pound axles under boats, and people prefer to drive a 1500 and towing is a secondary concern, triple axle trailers are not a bad idea, especially for those of us that tow long distances.

I sometimes tow my 23LSV with a 2011 Yukon XL, and I am not in love with the towing manners.`  If/when I upgrade to a 25, it will be on a triple.  If I were buying a new 23 and they are still using those puny 3500 pound axles, I would also consider one.

Boatmate has 4750# axles that they use. Does Malibu not use those larger axles at all? 

I've towed a 25LSV on a dual-axle trailer with my Silverado 1500. 7 hours, including through the NC->TN mountains. Towed like a dream. I'm really struggling to understand the need here, still.

1 hour ago, boardjnky4 said:

I'm really struggling to understand the need here, still.

It's the bling man. If I am paying 200k for a boat that is going to depreciate greatly, I want to look the fliest going down the road and in the parking lot.
Same reason Boatmate made an entire video bragging about their quad axle trailer.
Reminds me of the meme making fun of a G-wagon pulling a Pavati. Got to show off how far in debt they are. 

I tried my 247 on our older Yukon Denali with a tandem trailer, the air system couldn't level out vehicle (yes I know how to set hitch height properly). It was also too much combined hitch weight/vehicle weight for the tire load rating. I would be willing to bet most people with 1/2 ton vehicles don't know for sure what the tire load rating is on their vehicle. Example- Goodyear Wrangler AT/S 275/65-18 (F-150) has a 113 load rating (2535) per tire. When you consider vehicle weight, bed load/cargo, and hitch weight you can easily go over that limit with a big boat and all the lake/camping gear. 

17 hours ago, Cole2001 said:

Tandem is cheaper and easier to maneuver but doesn’t handle as well. In my opinion and the opinion of many other dealers I talked to but the triple is only needed on the really big boats when towing with a 1/2 truck. The triple tracks a lot nicer on the highway and takes some weight off the truck. 

What boat are you looking at? The 25lsv, m235 and 24mxz would be the only ones that would be reasonable. 

Ive got the tandem rated for 8400 with no complaints. 

24 MXZ being towed with a Lincoln Navigator

2 hours ago, MLBurns said:

I tried my 247 on our older Yukon Denali with a tandem trailer, the air system couldn't level out vehicle (yes I know how to set hitch height properly). It was also too much combined hitch weight/vehicle weight for the tire load rating. I would be willing to bet most people with 1/2 ton vehicles don't know for sure what the tire load rating is on their vehicle. Example- Goodyear Wrangler AT/S 275/65-18 (F-150) has a 113 load rating (2535) per tire. When you consider vehicle weight, bed load/cargo, and hitch weight you can easily go over that limit with a big boat and all the lake/camping gear. 

So you are recommending a triple then?

6 hours ago, oldjeep said:

I think he is recommending getting a tow vehicle that's appropriate for the load. 

That is not an option at this time.

13 hours ago, RyanB said:

In a perfect world, there is zero need.  But when the manufactures keep putting twin 3500 pound axles under boats, and people prefer to drive a 1500 and towing is a secondary concern, triple axle trailers are not a bad idea, especially for those of us that tow long distances.

I sometimes tow my 23LSV with a 2011 Yukon XL, and I am not in love with the towing manners.`  If/when I upgrade to a 25, it will be on a triple.  If I were buying a new 23 and they are still using those puny 3500 pound axles, I would also consider one.

FWIW the 25 on a triple towed by a Yukon Denali was an experience, (not the XL) but the trailer would sway the Yukon from side to side and was a little hair ball from time to time. The short wheel base is no bueno with the longer heavier boats

towing it with the 1ton SD it tows like a dream

The extra tires allow the trailer to handle more weight and to be more stable at higher speeds and highway conditions. Higher payload capacity means more room for whatever you are hauling. Think about the dry weight which does not include all your gear, I’ve chests, lead and maybe 600 lbs of fuel. The triple maybe a little more difficult to back up and fit into a tight space but it tied like a dream. 

D913F544-3DCB-425D-A9B8-BC7B276B7955.jpeg

• Like 2
2 hours ago, MadMan said:

US semi trailers get by using 2 axles.  European semi trailers have 3 axles, but one is lifted when not on the highway to reduce tire scrubbing.

Yep, they use 2 axles.  With either duals or super singles.  I've never seen a boat trailer come with either.

ahopkins22LSV
2 minutes ago, RyanB said:

Yep, they use 2 axles.  With either duals or super singles.  I've never seen a boat trailer come with either.

We are talking slightly different payloads too.... I don’t even know why madman made that comparison. My vtx will hold 40 gallons of fuel and an aircraft carrier holds a couple million. Cool! But irrelevant :lol: 

8 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

We are talking slightly different payloads too.... I don’t even know why madman made that comparison. My vtx will hold 40 gallons of fuel and an aircraft carrier holds a couple million. Cool! But irrelevant :lol: 

Come on @ahopkinsTXi we all know that aircraft carriers carry nuclear rods not gallons of fuel.  :lol:

15 minutes ago, RyanB said:

I agree with you.  Main difference is the payload difference for semis and personal boats.  US semi can carry up to 80,000# before oversize load restrictions come into effect.  Many of the new semi trailers here in the states are being equipped with lift axles as well to help with fuel economy.  When empty you can lift one axle to save the rolling resistance and the wear and tear on the tires, hubs, suspension and so on.  By having the third axle on the European semi trailers they distribute  the weigh transferred on to the road.  If the US ever bumps the max payload up top 100,000# you will see the companies that start hauling those weights add a third axle to their trailers to comply for hauling the additional weight.

ahopkins22LSV
11 minutes ago, blk93jeepzj said:

Come on @ahopkinsTXi we all know that aircraft carriers carry nuclear rods not gallons of fuel.  :lol:

I agree with you.  Main difference is the payload difference for semis and personal boats.  US semi can carry up to 80,000# before oversize load restrictions come into effect.  Many of the new semi trailers here in the states are being equipped with lift axles as well to help with fuel economy.  When empty you can lift one axle to save the rolling resistance and the wear and tear on the tires, hubs, suspension and so on.  By having the third axle on the European semi trailers they distribute  the weigh transferred on to the road.  If the US ever bumps the max payload up top 100,000# you will see the companies that start hauling those weights add a third axle to their trailers to comply for hauling the additional weight.

Well they carry a ton of aircraft fuel lol. Michigan is already at 100k btw. 

• Like 2

Sweet, we went from comparing apples (VTX fuel) to oranges (aircraft carriers fuel) but now we throw in some bananas (aircraft on the aircraft carrier and their fuel needs).  @IXFE Yes the F-18's need jet fuel. 

ahopkins22LSV
12 minutes ago, blk93jeepzj said:

Sweet, we went from comparing apples (VTX fuel) to oranges (aircraft carriers fuel) but now we throw in some bananas (aircraft on the aircraft carrier and their fuel needs).  @IXFE Yes the F-18's need jet fuel. 

No we went from comparing tandem axle boat trailer vs triple axel boat trailers vs tandem axel boat trailer vs 80-100k tandem axel semi trailers. I made the vtx vs aircraft carrier comparison to show how ridiculous comparing a boat trailer to semi trailer is...

I dont know if the 3rd axle on the boat has brakes but if they do, an extra set of brakes can be a worthwhile addition.

I own a fleet of heavy trucks, that all have at least one set and some have two sets of 20000 lb lift axles under them.  The trucks dont need the axles to help carry the load and in fact the axles are raised when off highway, but the one or two sets of extra brakes really help with todays moronic text and drive hazards.