Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2010 23 LSV Regular Side Surfing Problems

Flyboy73

I've just spent the last couple of hours reading everyone's ballast setup.  However, I just can't find a topic similar to my situation.  If this has been addressed, I apologize in advance.

I have a 2010 23 LSV and have been surfing it for a couple of years now.  My kids and I surf goofy.  Bought a Delta Mission last year and it worked great for us.  However, my wife has started surfing this year and surfs regular (left side).  To my surprise, the left side is not surfing as well as the right side.  I just can't seem to get the same push as I do on the right side.  The shape of the wave is great, but my wife struggles with it.  My current setup is:

All factory tanks full; 750lbs sacks in the back compartments (both filled).  Delta Mission surfgate attached.  Run around 10.8 mph.  I currently don't use the wedge (never really needed it on the goofy side).  Also, I've had a ton of people in the boat at times and piled a lot of them in front to "tinker" with the wave.  However, it just didn't seem to make a difference.

I'm going to try adding the wedge this weekend to see if it makes a difference.  Hopefully it will.  However, if it doesn't, I am ready to pull my hair out. 

Any suggestions?  New prop?  Different setup?  HELP!!!!!!!

Could you have her try surfing on the right side regular footed? I know its not ideal, but the wave would be better. What about adding some more bow weight?

The regular side never surfs as well because the prop rotation favors the goofy side. I sold my 2008 this spring so I'm used to that same hull and surfing regular side.

I always surfed my boat listed and personally hated the regular wave when I tried it a few times with a Delta Mission gate. My setup was fill all stock except the starboard side, 800lb sac on the regular side and 500-600# in the walkway or bow bag, floating wedge down and speed 10.8-11.0.

If I were running a gate to surf regular side, I'd fill all stock tanks and then only fill the starboard sac partway so the boat is semi-listed. Then I'd play with the wedge since that tends to help shape too but it will increase your need for bow weight since you're going to be very bow high. 

It's funny to hear you say that because prior to the Mission Delta, my regular side wave was much better than my goofy side wave when I had the boat listed.  I guess I will just see how the wedge affects the wave before I revert back to listing the boat.  Just hate to have to go back to that method due to fill and drain times.

When I had my 2013 (surfgate boat) LSV, I ran all stock ballast full, and 750's in the year, and a 1000 lb bag in the bow.  And as you stated the goofy side was much better.  When I put 350lbs under the port side passenger seats (coffin) it improved the regular wave quite a bit.  I have never used the delta mission, so I don't know how comparable that is to surfgate.  That was just my experience in working with my wave.

On 5/30/2018 at 3:31 PM, Flyboy73 said:

I've just spent the last couple of hours reading everyone's ballast setup.  However, I just can't find a topic similar to my situation.  If this has been addressed, I apologize in advance.

I have a 2010 23 LSV and have been surfing it for a couple of years now.  My kids and I surf goofy.  Bought a Delta Mission last year and it worked great for us.  However, my wife has started surfing this year and surfs regular (left side).  To my surprise, the left side is not surfing as well as the right side.  I just can't seem to get the same push as I do on the right side.  The shape of the wave is great, but my wife struggles with it.  My current setup is:

All factory tanks full; 750lbs sacks in the back compartments (both filled).  Delta Mission surfgate attached.  Run around 10.8 mph.  I currently don't use the wedge (never really needed it on the goofy side).  Also, I've had a ton of people in the boat at times and piled a lot of them in front to "tinker" with the wave.  However, it just didn't seem to make a difference.

I'm going to try adding the wedge this weekend to see if it makes a difference.  Hopefully it will.  However, if it doesn't, I am ready to pull my hair out. 

Any suggestions?  New prop?  Different setup?  HELP!!!!!!!

As @NWBU stated... Regular side suffers from prop rotation... I usually have to add 1 - 2 clicks up on wedge more than goofy side... Since you don't run the wedge, try it all the way down on regular side and click up until she is happy... 

I run more weight than you and also more speed:

All factory full (minus bow)

1100 rear lockers

400 under coffin seats

1000 bow

I have GSA (go surf assist) 

Speed and wedge position varies with rider... lower speed with wedge in 2 - 3 clicks up for more push with less length.. I ride goofy with wedge all the way down (0 clicks up on ramp) at 12.2 to 12.6... Intermediate riders I put at 11.2 - 11.6 and beginners I add my wedge

Welcome to the anything before 2015/2016 facts of Malibu/Axis life .  Extreme improvement in how that regular wave looks and performs , dramatic improvements from I think Surfgate  angle, size and height in reference to swim platform for newer models and hull designs 

older LSV, different platform snd hull

slam it and do GSA or accept your prop rotation problem 

Edited by granddaddy55