Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

PNP recommendations

shields632

I just ordered a 21vlx and looking for the best way to add the stock system.  Are their certain brands for PNP that would be bettter or should I go with what the dealer has on hand?  Think they are 500 Fly High

The 550s PnP bags from Wakemakers do great for the 21VLX.  I have a 2018 21 VLX as well and run these along with the Wakemaker Autovent.  Works great.... creates an awesome wave when filled properly.  Hit me up and I will tell you what my surf setup is if you are interested.

oh and I am 100% sure the Wakemakers option will be a huge money savings from the dealer upgrade....

Edited by Blenderhead
added more

@Blenderhead we just took possession of a 2018 21 VLX as well; I would be interested in hearing your surf setup too. Stupid question: with the plug n play connected do you just have to fill the rear to 100% and they will auto-fill?

Cheers.

@WhiteWaterWeb - so being a new 21VLX owner as well...  I found to get everything filled the way I need it, I have to fill all to 100%.  This does not include the PnP... or at least I haven't figured out how to include the PnP with the 100% fill on the touch screen.  Once that is complete I have to go in and touch / activate the two rear ballast tanks on the touch screen and hit fill until I see water coming out the over fill.  

For my best wave yet, I have full OEM ballast, 100% PnP on the surf side and 50% on the non surf side.  When its just me and a driver I will add 200-300lbs of Leadwake bags on the forward floor.  If I add passengers I will either keep the bags or remove them based on current fuel level.  I will use the surf left setting that has the wedge at 2 and speed at 10.6mph.  This I have found creates a nice large and long wave with a ton of push.   This is my go to for now until someone recommends something else to try.

Awesome, thanks. I am going to try that this weekend. I am trying to avoid using any additional weight (lead, bags, etc.) on the floor or seats - just people. 

Cheers.

Just now, WhiteWaterWeb said:

Awesome, thanks. I am going to try that this weekend. I am trying to avoid using any additional weight (lead, bags, etc.) on the floor or seats - just people. 

Cheers.

People are always the better option.  I just have a limited crew sometimes.

Like the color setup Blenderhead. Thanks for the info. Interested to find out if you can somehow get the reading on the bag fill level as well, will keep looking into it. 

• Like 1

As far as i know you cant see the bag reading it will always say 100% off of the stock ballasts.  Now the new boats i think that is different.

still the same...I have a 2018 21 VLX and my buddy has a 22 VLX....both have the same issue.  Only way to tell when full is when it goes into overflow

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Blenderhead said:

still the same...I have a 2018 21 VLX and my buddy has a 22 VLX....both have the same issue.  Only way to tell when full is when it goes into overflow

It’s only the boats with the L shaped rear tanks that fill the bags and tanks at the same time. So mxz line, 2018+ 23 lsv, maybe some other models as well by those are the ones I know of. 

• Like 3

Blenderhead,

Is the Wakemaker autovent needed or not?  I want to just order the bags, attach them, and start riding.    Is the autovent easy to install or do I need additional fittings, etc?

38 minutes ago, mxskier7 said:

Blenderhead,

Is the Wakemaker autovent needed or not?  I want to just order the bags, attach them, and start riding.    Is the autovent easy to install or do I need additional fittings, etc?

It isn't if you elect to go with a kinetic valve like this.  They work great too keeping the bags from blowing up with air and exploding.  https://www.dripdepot.com/item/kinetic-air-vent-and-vacuum-relief-valve-protected-outlet-by-irritec-size-1-inch-mpt-w-pressure-check-no. No additional fittings are needed for this.  just get the 1" thread.

These are only about $10 for the pair compared to the the $100 for the Wakemakers auto vent.   Regarding just getting the bags and plugging them in....  You can absolutely do that since the boat should already be set up with the plumbing.  All you have to do is just snap the connectors onto the bag and youre done.   On the top vent fittings you can either put the kinetic valve on or the autovent hose setup.  Additional fittings are needed for this but they will show as an associated part on the auto vent page.

Really the bottom line is neither are required, however if you want to not have to open your hatches and visually monitor your bags every time you fill then they are good to have.

1 hour ago, mxskier7 said:

Blenderhead,

Did your PNP come with the autovent from the factory? Some do. 

Although wakemakers makes a kit, you can buy the fittings, some hose, clamps and other parts separately for a lot cheaper. Like $30 if you don’t included the check valve. 

Edited by teamerickson

I put the autovent on a couple of days ago.  Took about 30 minutes max.  You basically take the vent hose off the thru hull hole and take that and attached it to the autovent hose and then take the autovent house and connect to thru hull hole.

6 minutes ago, teamerickson said:

Did your PNP come with the autovent from the factory? Some do. 

Although wakemakers makes a kit, you can by the fittings, some hose, clamps and other parts separately for a lot cheaper. Like $30 if you don’t included the check valve. 

I think the main point is to have the check valve?  You spend 80-100 grand on a boat $100 autovent kit to me is worth it.

What recommendations would you have besides adding the sacks in the back? Is it worth it to add the extra weight to the front or can you add any bags anywhere else in the boat without losing seating. 

I picked up 500lbs of Lead Wake bags.   Benefits - very small in comparison, easily moved around the boat without hindering seating area.   Negatives - Cannot dump weight in the middle of the lake like water ballast...  (you can but you will have a hell of a time trying to recover the lead wake)

The benefit for me is that the small lead bags (50lbs ea) allow me to put them on the forward floor right next to the helm... or even a couple bags in the bow elongating my surf wave.

https://www.leadwake.com/

On 5/30/2018 at 2:32 PM, Blenderhead said:

@WhiteWaterWeb - so being a new 21VLX owner as well...  I found to get everything filled the way I need it, I have to fill all to 100%.  This does not include the PnP... or at least I haven't figured out how to include the PnP with the 100% fill on the touch screen.  Once that is complete I have to go in and touch / activate the two rear ballast tanks on the touch screen and hit fill until I see water coming out the over fill.  

For my best wave yet, I have full OEM ballast, 100% PnP on the surf side and 50% on the non surf side.  When its just me and a driver I will add 200-300lbs of Leadwake bags on the forward floor.  If I add passengers I will either keep the bags or remove them based on current fuel level.  I will use the surf left setting that has the wedge at 2 and speed at 10.6mph.  This I have found creates a nice large and long wave with a ton of push.   This is my go to for now until someone recommends something else to try.

Yep and with just driver we run 250 lead under regular side seat in cabin , 250 in bow listed side on cushions , i run 850 pnp surf side full, 1/2 full opposite rear(goofy surfing  it way less fill in opposite )

950 mushroom front pnp plus 800 stock 

full wefge cause floating autoset wedge

and full fuel everyday so never less than 28-30 gallons on board even at end of day

20 foot boat 

ugly wave but long and pushy in the base for same corner recoveries from way back 

Edited by granddaddy55
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2018 at 4:55 PM, klingsdesigns said:

I think the main point is to have the check valve?  You spend 80-100 grand on a boat $100 autovent kit to me is worth it.

Did you get your leak fixed? I just ordered the autovent kit and I’m wondering if that was your issue?

20 hours ago, Weaklink said:

Did you get your leak fixed? I just ordered the autovent kit and I’m wondering if that was your issue?

its not the pnp. I disconnected all that and my auto siphon valves still leak. Dealer called malibu on friday and havent heard back yet.  Either getting new rubber duckbills in the autovents or all new autovents.  If that doesnt work i am going to request them to send me check valves and i will just put them in the auto siphon spots.