Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Shaft Packing

I am going to attempt to tighten/possibly replace wax cord in my shaft packing on a 2007 VLX. Any tips/recommendations when tackling this since its in like an awful spot? 

I have a 2005 with 325 hours.  About 1/8 turn with the fancy short wrench and a small pipe wrench to hold the tube, and I was all set.  Now have a drip every 6 to 8 seconds which I think is about right.  Replacing the packing looks like a pain!

Just take lots of pictures and use a sharpie to draw a line on the nuts so you are sure about starting position, etc.

formulaben
2 hours ago, BlindSquirrel said:

Go get these picks if you go the replace route...

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-pick-and-hook-set-66836.html

For sure, that same pick set worked great. 

I removed the ballast pumps to give me more room.  Having the proper wrenches helped for sure. Also, I bought a short piece of 1-1/8" OD steel tubing to use as a guide when cutting the shaft packing and a piece of 1-1/8" ID hose to seat the packing into the nut.  And lastly some Magic Lube for the shaft packing.  :whistle:

Here is a helpful guide: http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/stuffing_box&page=1

11ui9ll.jpg

2lw3bwl.jpg

Edited by formulaben
16 hours ago, minnmarker said:

I have a 2005 with 325 hours.  About 1/8 turn with the fancy short wrench and a small pipe wrench to hold the tube, and I was all set.  Now have a drip every 6 to 8 seconds which I think is about right.  Replacing the packing looks like a pain!

Just take lots of pictures and use a sharpie to draw a line on the nuts so you are sure about starting position, etc.

Yep. From memory it is a 6-10 drops in a min.