TC_2006_VLX

Shaft Packing

TC_2006_VLX

I am going to attempt to tighten/possibly replace wax cord in my shaft packing on a 2007 VLX. Any tips/recommendations when tackling this since its in like an awful spot? 

minnmarker

I have a 2005 with 325 hours.  About 1/8 turn with the fancy short wrench and a small pipe wrench to hold the tube, and I was all set.  Now have a drip every 6 to 8 seconds which I think is about right.  Replacing the packing looks like a pain!

Just take lots of pictures and use a sharpie to draw a line on the nuts so you are sure about starting position, etc.

formulaben
2 hours ago, BlindSquirrel said:

Go get these picks if you go the replace route...

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-pick-and-hook-set-66836.html

For sure, that same pick set worked great. 

I removed the ballast pumps to give me more room.  Having the proper wrenches helped for sure. Also, I bought a short piece of 1-1/8" OD steel tubing to use as a guide when cutting the shaft packing and a piece of 1-1/8" ID hose to seat the packing into the nut.  And lastly some Magic Lube for the shaft packing.  :whistle:

Here is a helpful guide: http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/stuffing_box&page=1

11ui9ll.jpg

2lw3bwl.jpg

Edited by formulaben

23LSVOwner
16 hours ago, minnmarker said:

I have a 2005 with 325 hours.  About 1/8 turn with the fancy short wrench and a small pipe wrench to hold the tube, and I was all set.  Now have a drip every 6 to 8 seconds which I think is about right.  Replacing the packing looks like a pain!

Just take lots of pictures and use a sharpie to draw a line on the nuts so you are sure about starting position, etc.

Yep. From memory it is a 6-10 drops in a min.