Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Considering going from 22VLX to 22MXZ? Need input.

geogilbert

In my estimation there 2 ways to own one of these wake whips. 

1) Buy it and keep it till it is all used up

2) Trade in before the warranty is up

I currently have a 2015 22VLX and frankly, I am pretty happy with it. Sure my buddies 17 and other buddies 18s have some nice incremental upgrades but all in all not enough to get me to pull the trigger. Although a 22 MXZ would be pretty cool I think...

Does anyone have any good experience to compare and contrast current version 22 VLX and 22 MXZ?  

Usage is primarily wakeboarding and we load out the VLX to its reasonable max. 

What year MXZ?  I have a 14 and I absolutely love it.  No, I don't have the G3.2, the new dash or pw2, but frankly it doesn't matter.  MXZ with stock ballast is great and gets bigger/better with more weight.  If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer.

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, geogilbert said:

Still considering and wanting to see if anyone can else can chime in? 

I know you said you primarily wakeboard, but I demo’d the new 22 MXZ and loved it for surfing. 

@UpperleftWake was with me that day (pictures below). @Wakesetter67 was there too and he used to own a 22 VLX so maybe he can chime in.

Such a great wave. In that regard it’s a BIG upgrade over the 22 VLX

B4F5F780-FC87-4DAD-B2F1-A15042468EEE.jpeg

6CFC0C42-F15C-45AF-880D-33A7DBA88D64.png

• Like 2
On 7/6/2018 at 6:19 PM, IXFE said:

I know you said you primarily wakeboard, but I demo’d the new 22 MXZ and loved it for surfing. 

@UpperleftWake was with me that day (pictures below). @Wakesetter67 was there too and he used to own a 22 VLX so maybe he can chime in.

Such a great wave. In that regard it’s a BIG upgrade over the 22 VLX

B4F5F780-FC87-4DAD-B2F1-A15042468EEE.jpeg

6CFC0C42-F15C-45AF-880D-33A7DBA88D64.png

I would have to agree I thought at the time the 22 MXZ was better then my old 22 VLX and better then the 24 MXZ!

I had looked at MXZ's before going with the VLX.  The helm on the MXZ is further back, reducing cabin space in the main area for more in the bow.  Just beware that you'll be losing space if you go to a same size MXZ.

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV
2 hours ago, 67King said:

I had looked at MXZ's before going with the VLX.  The helm on the MXZ is further back, reducing cabin space in the main area for more in the bow.  Just beware that you'll be losing space if you go to a same size MXZ.

To the OP definitely demo a 22 mxz because of this. The wake and wave is amazing but I prefer the layout and overall styling of the vlx. It’s also quite easy to dip the bow on the mxz’s. 

You might want to check out the new 22 LSV once it gets released too! 

33 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

To the OP definitely demo a 22 mxz because of this. The wake and wave is amazing but I prefer the layout and overall styling of the vlx. It’s also quite easy to dip the bow on the mxz’s. 

You might want to check out the new 22 LSV once it gets released too! 

Isnt the current 22 vlx just being renamed the “new” 22 lsv?

21 minutes ago, onewake09 said:

I think its getting the updates that the 23LSV got (new hull/options), so it is "new".  

I really don't understand the 1 foot increments.  Seems like it should be at least 2' to differentiate models (IMO).  That said, I have a friend on a private lake that has a 22 foot restriction so he's ok with it  :)

ahopkins22LSV
38 minutes ago, onewake09 said:

15 minutes ago, pauley71 said:

I think its getting the updates that the 23LSV got (new hull/options), so it is "new".  

I really don't understand the 1 foot increments.  Seems like it should be at least 2' to differentiate models (IMO).  That said, I have a friend on a private lake that has a 22 foot restriction so he's ok with it  :)

Right. It looks to be renamned and updated to match the 23 LSV. So I’d assume slightly deeper. The 23 wave got better with the update so I’d guess the 22 will as well. 

16 minutes ago, pauley71 said:

Seems like it should be at least 2' to differentiate models (IMO).  That said, I have a friend on a private lake that has a 22 foot restriction so he's ok with it  :)

Might be seeing the bigger picture there.

1 minute ago, 23LSVOwner said:

Might be seeing the bigger picture there.

I get it but is that a common restriction on a lot of lakes?  This lake is less than 700 acres so I'm surprised they are allowed to surf at all honestly.

1 minute ago, pauley71 said:

I get it but is that a common restriction on a lot of lakes?  This lake is less than 700 acres so I'm surprised they are allowed to surf at all honestly.

It's pretty common.

Some even have a cutoff of 21'.

On 7/6/2018 at 8:19 PM, IXFE said:

^This^ - Make sure you demo it.  Im not a huge fan of the MXZs or the A series Axis wakeboard wakes.  I dont ride super heavy though, so I might not be the right judge.  Dudes I ride with, who ride heavy, like it, but it doesnt seem to really firm up until youve got about 3000 lbs in it.   You generally need a lot more bow weight too, but thats fairly typical with how people are sacking them out for surfing.

Edited by 05hammerhead
5 minutes ago, 05hammerhead said:

^This^ - Make sure you demo it.  Im not a huge fan of the MXZs or the A series Axis wakeboard wakes.  I dont ride super heavy though, so I might not be the right judge.  Dudes I ride with, who ride heavy, like it, but it doesnt seem to really firm up until youve got about 3000 lbs in it.   You generally need a lot more bow weight too, but thats fairly typical with how people are sacking them out for surfing.

It depends on the year.  The older hull needs bow weight, the newer one- not so much.  We have the older hull and it puts out a solid (read firm) wake across the weight spectrum.  I found that speed is the key for firmness. 

I will say that the MXZ wake is wider than some boats that I have ridden.  My wife rides minimal bow weight with wedge and it is hard for her to go wake to wake at 65'.  

Thanks, All. 

I definitely plan to demo, got to try before I buy. and it will have to be fully loaded out with PnP and all. 
I am a little concerned about the smaller cockpit area but, typically the crew is not to bit till the boards get put away and the coolers come out.  At which point any bow weight would go away anyhow.
We are on a 22 foot max lake so I am really looking between a new 22 VLX / MXZ or a G21 (that hurts to say).