Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tips for buying a TXi

rakr

I am currently in the market for a 2013-2016 Response TXi. I am hoping to keep the boat for quite some time, so I want to make the decision the first time around and am looking for some tips.

This will definitely be a multi-purpose boat, but I do want to spend a good bit of time in the course, so I am going with the TXi with at least the wedge bracket, and will add the wedge (if needed from Bakes), tower, bimini, and some ballast down the road. I have been told that with the wedge down, 1K of ballast, a wake shaper, and a few folks at the back, the TXi would put out a nice surf wake. Anyone have experience with a set up like this?

If anyone has any tips, thoughts or general comments that you think would be helpful?

The one question I am looking for a definitive answer on, does anyone have any idea on how many hours we should expect to get out of a DD that is maintained well? I would guess we would put 75 hours or so on it a year and am wondering if I should steer away from boats that have 600+ hours on them. I have skied most of my life (with the exception of the last 10 or so, life has gotten in the way...), but it has always been on someone else's boat, so I don't have great experience with some of the items mentioned, and am looking for the power of the "crowd".

Thanks in advance!!!

-Rob

A well maintained ski boat can pass the 2000 hour mark before any major maintenance is needed.  The big items the happen are due to lack of or poor maintenance and improper winterization leading to failure.  Main culprits are raw water freezing in winter, raw water pumps not serviced regularly so engine gets starved for water, poor winter storage habits and abuse.  A properly maintained and operating boat can run great for a long time.

You can surf an RTXi w/ the obvious expectation that it won't be a great wake.  I've used two fat sacs and then tape off the vent on the back.

My local dealer here in WI still has my old 2012.  I'm pretty anal so the boat is VERY clean and I did some updates to it - steering wheel, graphics, etc... so it looks like a slightly newer one.  If you're interested let me know and I can fill you in on the details, etc...  Best thing - 6L engine.

Mike

I had an 01 response Ls1 that had 2500 hours and it still ran sting and looked new. Religious oil changes and maintenance made sure the boat was much better than some friends with only 2-300 hours.

13 hours ago, reggie said:

Make sure the floor is in good shape; many are often soft!!

that sounds a bit ominous...  I do want to put in a relatively safe amount of ballast, maybe 1 or 1.5K in addition to the wedge. I watched a video of a guy and I think he said he had almost 3K of weight in a 2000-ish Sunsetter. The boat seemed to ride ok, but that seems like a bit much to me.

What would lead a 5 year old boat to have "soft" floors?

I would personally take a boat with a good amount of hours, someone who puts the hours on is also someone who is going to do the proper maintenance and if they don’t it will show. 

ahopkins22LSV

There have been cases that the flooring on the sides of the engine have sagged. Mine did. It’s not going to collapse but it’s noticeable walking on it. Also the rear panel behind the engine box has failed. That’s a much cheaper replacement. Neither would throw a red flag for me though as it is not a sign of negligence by the owner. 

I’d suggest adding 2012 to your list too. It will be harder to find but they offered the original power wedge as an option in 2012 and only 2012. 

Hi Rob, welcome to the crew.  I'm about 45 minutes from G.R., over in Muskegon.

I can't comment much on the Txi, but I can say that you can definitely surf a DD, we do it with our Echelon.  That said, we do NOT do it on Muskegon Lake, too big, too many potential waves to go over the bow.  But, we do it on Bear Lake, which feeds into Muskegon Lake.  Much smaller and better controlled environment (450 acres instead of 4,500 acres).  So if you are going to be on a larger, busier lake, don't plan on surfing. 

Also - if you have any interest in joining a show ski team, the Grand City Show Skiers is always looking for new guys.  We practice weekly in Coopersville if you ever want to check it out.  Big ski jump, building pyramids on the water, footing, etc.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Michigan boarder said:

Hi Rob, welcome to the crew.  I'm about 45 minutes from G.R., over in Muskegon.

I can't comment much on the Txi, but I can say that you can definitely surf a DD, we do it with our Echelon.  That said, we do NOT do it on Muskegon Lake, too big, too many potential waves to go over the bow.  But, we do it on Bear Lake, which feeds into Muskegon Lake.  Much smaller and better controlled environment (450 acres instead of 4,500 acres).  So if you are going to be on a larger, busier lake, don't plan on surfing. 

Also - if you have any interest in joining a show ski team, the Grand City Show Skiers is always looking for new guys.  We practice weekly in Coopersville if you ever want to check it out.  Big ski jump, building pyramids on the water, footing, etc.

I did look at that club a while back. I am thinking about joining the group that skis in Conklin, but I had a pretty bad ankle sprain that I am already 2 months into and am cringing with the thought of coming out of my slalom binding or going out the back a bit on a jump. I boarded on BL once a number of years ago. My former employer has/had a house on that lake, there was a fire at his place late last year...

• Like 1

Through a couple of conversations (PMs), thanks a ton ahopkinsTXi, and some additional research, I am solidly on the "VTX bandwagon". 

Thanks!

• Like 1