Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

96 Malibu Echelon, bad connection

Out on the lake a couple of weekends ago, cruised from one end of the lake to the other, skied for a while, no problems.  We stop at the marina to get a Koozie, get back in, turn key, blower comes on, gauges and everything come on, turn the key to start and...NOTHING.    Unfortunately I'm not a huge engine guy but figured it was likely a connection.  I jiggle a few wire connections that are obvious to me but still nothing.  Got a mechanic down to check it out and he knew of more connections than I did, wiggled them and the boat started and has started since.  Is there anything I need to do now?  Dielectric grease?  I don't know but would obviously prefer this not happen again.  Thanks

1. the safety switch at the end of the lanyard is known for this kind of issue.  sometimes the plastic deforms allowing the plunger to release a tiny bit.  a dime inserted can save the day.  sometimes it's just a bad switch.  i'd pull that switch and arrange a jumper that i could use to easily bypass the switch the next time the problem occurs.
  2. second item on my list would be the canon connector.  it connects the engine harness to the boat harness.  cylindrical connector located on the top / aft / starboard usually a hose clamp secures the two connector pieces.  pull it apart, inspect, VERY SLIGHTLY pry the male pins to add tension, add dialectic grease and reassemble
  3. spending a few hours combing the harness and connectors may be worth the effort, too.