Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Thoughts on the new tow rig

oldjeep

I had wheel to wheel steps on my last truck and it was definitely nice for getting things in the front of the box.  The truck I have now I just installed cab length because I found a good deal on CL for some and I figured getting things from the front of the box is a good job for my kids.

• 2 weeks later...

A trip to a different freight terminal after work today, and then the kids helped me get the tonneau installed.  Seems well built, and has a good locking mechanism.  Will need to go around and tighten it up in a couple of days, but seems like it'll work out well.

IMAG0266.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Back from a few days at the folks place, a couple hundred miles of towing.  New truck tows better than the old, I'm assuming due to the 3.92 gears since the engine is basically the same as last truck.  Diamond back is rattle and leak free, pretty happy with that choice.  Didnt look at mileage,  will have to check that out in a couple weeks when we take the long trip. 

The tires suck on wet ramps, those will be getting replaced soon. 

IMAG0295s.jpg

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 2
  • 1 month later...

First real test of hauling capacity. 1900lbs of pavers moved about 80 miles from my folks place to my sons house.  That is about what it takes to level the truck., still plenty of travel left.  Tires on the other hand were squished, definitely need to swith the tires to an LT e rated rather than the P d rated that are on there now. 

IMAG0397.jpg

@oldjeep, not judging, just an observation.  Those bricks have to be at or over the payload capacity , correct? (I am of the opinion that FCA under rates the 1500 to get more people into a 2500). 

6 minutes ago, RyanB said:

@oldjeep, not judging, just an observation.  Those bricks have to be at or over the payload capacity , correct? (I am of the opinion that FCA under rates the 1500 to get more people into a 2500). 

Rated payload is 1600? load was about 1900. Limiting factor definitely seemed to be the tires.  

• 2 weeks later...

on your previous truck did you have the exhaust manifold bolts break? on my FIL 2015 at aroung 70k miles we started to hear an exhaust leak turns out it was one of the  manifold bolts that aslo holds the heatshield.

On 8/18/2018 at 11:29 AM, 1HELLUVALIFE said:

on your previous truck did you have the exhaust manifold bolts break? on my FIL 2015 at aroung 70k miles we started to hear an exhaust leak turns out it was one of the  manifold bolts that aslo holds the heatshield.

My 2009 had various manifold bolts break 4  or 5 times over the years.  

• 3 months later...

Chucks tip of the day, make sure the slip hinges are not iced up when putting them back together.  Also make sure it is fully seated before closing.   I had the back cover off this week because I picked up an old radial arm saw.  Getting ready to take off for my kids graduation this morning, put lid back on and forced it down snapping the hinge.  Luckily diamondback had recalled the hinges and hardware last month because of a bad batch of powdercoat so I have a complete set that i hadn't gotten around to installing yet.  Definitely going to keep a spare hinge set in stock. 

IMAG0748.jpg

On 8/5/2018 at 3:13 PM, oldjeep said:

First real test of hauling capacity. 1900lbs of pavers moved about 80 miles from my folks place to my sons house.  That is about what it takes to level the truck., still plenty of travel left.  Tires on the other hand were squished, definitely need to swith the tires to an LT e rated rather than the P d rated that are on there now. 

IMAG0397.jpg

I wish when ordering a vehicle the offered better rated tires. Not just size! Its one thing when ordering a vehicle I would be willing to pay for a brand and rating tire. Not saying all brands but whatever brand the manufacture deals with.

20 hours ago, Sixball said:

I wish when ordering a vehicle the offered better rated tires. Not just size! Its one thing when ordering a vehicle I would be willing to pay for a brand and rating tire. Not saying all brands but whatever brand the manufacture deals with.

This.  My next vehicle I'm looking at the brand and model of the tire, and if it's not what I want I'm not taking delivery until they swap.  My F150 came with Hankook which were not rated for severe snow . . . I live in Wisconsin :crazy:.  Truck has been completely different vehicle in the snow with the Continental TerrainContact A/T.

My last new vehicle came with Hankook and they are not as good as any of my last three vehicles all with Michelin.  When I get my new vehicles one of the first thing I have done is look at what tires I got in the lottery!  This last new vehicle I got I did make the dealer change tires and wheels but that is not as simple as one would think. It had 22" tires and I did not want them. I also liked the factory wheels on the 20's much better. So with resetting all the Odo all the badging on the vehicle is wrong. Tire pressure is different so I called and asked if they could get at least the main label changed.  Not so easy that is assigned to the vehicle and its not just a labile.  I told the dealer if that is not something he can get they need to be sure the vehicle they changed the tires and wheels has notification to the buyer. Wrong tire size and wheel and recommended tire pressure.  I can see that becoming a beagle issue down the road.  The Odo was calibrated but that's it.        

I just looked up the tow rating of a 2007 Tahoe. (We have one). We also have a 2018 Jeep GC Limited. I will tow with the Tahoe first and only in town. I guess I am really spoiled with my 3500. Once you tow with something like the 3500. You realize how dangerous it is with something smaller. 

Edited by Sparky450

Great looking truck.  Incredible that the newer half tons can carry almost a full ton of payload.  

Interesting stuff out there about how the oem provided tires on new trucks are significantly lower quality rubber than the same model off the rack later.  Not all brands, but interestingly enough Toyota has been accused of putting the Goodyear kevlar ats on the newer trucks and them only lasting 25k.  Same tires from a shop will easily go 50-60k.  

I've been very impressed with my Cooper's.  First set of tires from them.  Traction, wear, road noise, and towing capability has been awesome and I can't argue with the price.  Would look great on a Ram.  

Edited by Pra4sno