Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How do you use your Perko switch

Just wondering what is the best way to use to maximize battery life. Been leaving mine on 1&2 set for the past 4 years, haven't had any major issues but I think my batteries could use a charge, starting the engine is much weaker and noticed this weekend my stereo would completely shut off occasionally when starting so batteries are weak.

Thank you.

This really depends on how you use the boats and what type of batteries are installed on each bank. Using the boat with the switch on 1+2 is not necessarily detrimental to the batteries. How they are maintained when the boat is not in use, is more important.  

I usually run on combined 1+2 Until we set and play stereo for extended time, then will switch to one or the other to make sure not to drain both. If still have enough juice in that one after extended stereo play and it will start the boat, I leave it there till I get home then plug in the dual bank charger. Thought process is, wear and tear equally with combined use and same when using one or other for stereo use. I typically use 1 this week then 2 next week for stereo.

ACR with no switch. No thinking, no worries, and have never run out of music or cranking power since I put it in. I think Perkos are legacies now for inland boats.  People have them because their dad had them.

I have a 3 battery set up:

1: starter

1+2: starter + stereo and backup

2: stereo

I have a pro mariner charger built in, so before a long day at the cove I usually plug them in.  But generally I switch back and forth between running solely on 1, and 1+2.  Also keep in mind if the batteries are getting older, you should have them tested.  How do you store them over winter?   

9 hours ago, minnmarker said:

ACR with no switch. No thinking, no worries, and have never run out of music or cranking power since I put it in. I think Perkos are legacies now for inland boats.  People have them because their dad had them.

I agree with this, no need for a switch if you run an ACR or isolator.

9 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Does the ACR automatically drop out a failed battery?

No, but a switch doesn't either.  I've never had to do it, but my plan has always been to simply swap the battery cables between the batteries if I have a no start situation.  Would take about 2 minutes.  I view the switch as just another point of failure, both the additional connections and the switch itself.

20 minutes ago, MadMan said:

No, but a switch doesn't either.  I've never had to do it, but my plan has always been to simply swap the battery cables between the batteries if I have a no start situation.  Would take about 2 minutes.  I view the switch as just another point of failure, both the additional connections and the switch itself.

Sure, but with a switch you just turn the switch.  Different strokes, but even in a single battery scenario I wouldn't go without a disconnect switch.

34 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Does the ACR automatically drop out a failed battery?

20 minutes ago, MadMan said:

No, but a switch doesn't either.

A battery issue can cause the automatic voltage sensing relay to automatically combine the suspect bank to the "good" bank in an attempt to charge the suspect battery. Where as a manual switch allows you to isolate that suspect bank from the other bank. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, MLA said:

A battery issue can cause the automatic voltage sensing relay to automatically combine the suspect bank to the "good" bank in an attempt to charge the suspect battery. Where as a manual switch allows you to isolate that suspect bank from the other bank. 

With Blue Seas, they connect only if the good battery stays above 13.0 volts.  As soon as it drops below that then the connection opens and the good battery stays good.

My emergency disconnect is a high amperage breaker in each circuit.

• Like 3

OK, can someone give me the idiot explanation of what an ACR does?  Ive got a Perko, run on Batt 1 till it dies, use Batt 2 to start boat, then swith back to Batt 1 to charge it back up while we surf.  Does the ACR do that automatically or something?

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, minnmarker said:

With Blue Seas, they connect only if the good battery stays above 13.0 volts.  As soon as it drops below that then the connection opens and the good battery stays good.

My emergency disconnect is a high amperage breaker in each circuit.

Not technically. If there is voltage at or above 13V (or whatever the designed threshold is) on one side, whether that voltage is from the battery, the alternator or a charger, the Blue Sea 7610 will close/combine, sending voltage into the other bank. 

So as stated, with alternator input on one side and a suspect battery on the other, the ACR can close/combine in an attempt to charge said suspect side.

14 minutes ago, 05hammerhead said:

OK, can someone give me the idiot explanation of what an ACR does?  Ive got a Perko, run on Batt 1 till it dies, use Batt 2 to start boat, then swith back to Batt 1 to charge it back up while we surf.  Does the ACR do that automatically or something?

It stands for auto combiner relay or the similar working voltage sensing relay. With the proper switch  and wiring, it allows a single alternator to charge 2 banks when the engine is running, and isolates them from each other when engine is off. 

A 1/2/BOTH from Perko or any other manufacturer, is not the best switch to pair with an ACR. 

I have run a solenoid relay (isolator) for many years now, and like it much better than my previous perko switch.  I never have to touch it.  When the key is off, the batteries are isolated.  When the key is on, it combines them to charge.  I do charge the stereo bank after a long day of use.

Edited by Brodie
8 minutes ago, MLA said:

So as stated, with alternator input on one side and a suspect battery on the other, the ACR can close/combine in an attempt to charge said suspect side.

OK, sorry.  I was trying not to be too complicated.  Sorry.  The reality is that with 12 volt lead acid batteries, if it measures 13 volts it is being charged by something else (alternator) and the ACR will share that charge with the other battery.  The "good" battery will never share current (charge) with the "bad" battery unless it is receiving charge from elsewhere (alternator).  So a good battery will never be discharged through the ACR.  The ACR will open the circuit before that happens.  Much more likely that Joe six pack or Joe having a good time with buddies or ladies will forget to put the Perko in the right position and consequently drain both batteries.

16 minutes ago, minnmarker said:

The "good" battery will never share current (charge) with the "bad" battery unless it is receiving charge from elsewhere (alternator).

If the voltage threshold is met on one side, the ACR will close/combine, period. Now, if one side is VERY low or has a very heavy load, the disconnect threshold can be reached and the ACR will disconnect.  

If both banks need to be at 13V or higher for the ACR to combine, then whats actually getting charged? What i the point of combine is both banks are fully charged? The blue seas ACR does not need to see 13V on both sides to combine. 

• Like 2

Funny thing is that I just realized that I have had my switch always on #2, so I guess my #1 should be in pretty good shape, I should give my #2 Battery a good charge and see where it's at. I unplugged the batteries during winter storage but leave them in the boat, I will start bringing them in the house. ACR appears to be a good add on, is it hard to install?

Thank you crew, always great to get advise from all.....

blue sea says 7610 has low voltage lockout of 9.5v.

Combine 30 sec13.6V @ 12 V
27.2V @ 24 V

Combine 90 sec13.0V @ 12 V
26.0V @ 24 V

Open 10 sec12.35V @ 12 V
24.7V @ 24 V

Open 30 sec12.75V @ 12 V
25.5V @ 24 V

Open High16.0V @ 12 V
30.0V @ 24 V

Over Voltage Lockout16.0V @ 12V
32.0V @ 24V

Under Voltage Lockout 9.5V @ 12 V
19V @ 24 V

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, pawter1970 said:

Your right Shawn, I will ensure I put the switch to 1 next time I run the boat and should give it a good charge for sure.......

I recommend hooking it up to a slow charger and making sure it is topped off 1st.