Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fuel Pump HELP!! 1996 Sunsetter Scorpion

Hey everyone, I'm having a very difficult time locating a part or finding a solution to my fuel pump issues. Its out of a 1996 Sunsetter with mercruiser scorpion. Apparently this part or something aftermarket is non existent. 

I've called mercruiser, sat down with Sea Wayt and shopped around to every place I could find in the country that might have an option and still nothing. Not even a suggestion.

serial # is OF820697. part 807782A3 superseded to 864851A1

Anyone with ANY input or help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!  

• 1 year later...

Guys

I also have a bad fuel pump in my 1996 Scorpion engine. Tried some of the sites mentioned  here a year ago.

Nothing.

Mercury part number 864851A 1 or 807782A3

Anyone know where I can get one.

Tom

Unbelievable that Mercury would not support this engine !!!!

16 minutes ago, Tomc said:

Guys

I also have a bad fuel pump in my 1996 Scorpion engine. Tried some of the sites mentioned  here a year ago.

Nothing.

Mercury part number 864851A 1 or 807782A3

Anyone know where I can get one.

Tom

Same as those of us with Indmars.  Something like this: https://www.jegs.com/i/Carter/180/P61171/10002/-1  as a replacmeent.  You'll have to get pressure specs etc.

19 minutes ago, Tomc said:

This made me chuckle just a little bit.  I'm guessing that they did support this engine back in the day.

If you dig around long and hard enough, you might find out who their supplier was, then ask them to dig out their 23 year old tooling and build another run of them for you.  They might agree to 1,000 units or so, and you could sell all but one of them on eBay.  Of course, they might not just fly off the shelf, and you'll have to hold the inventory for a few years....

• Like 2

It's a fuel pump -- and based on this image -- it's an inline pump (would be more complicated if this was in the tank.)  

Ia41Jam.jpg

This is the "newer" version of the pump and you can see it comes with a couple of different adapters as well as the male end of the wiring harness.  The original pump has a different pig tail on it.  A fuel pump is a pretty simple device (and this one seems exceedingly simple.)  You'll need to modify the wiring (there is only two wires) but a generic one should easily work.  You may have to visit your hardware store for an adapter or two but it's not that complicated.  Your engine even has an external fuel pressure regulator (so you need not worry about the pumps pressure as long as it's over x amount.)  My internet is failing right now but summit/jegs/amazon will all have an external pump that should work for you.  See if you can measure your current fittings to find something that doesn't require adapters.  There should be a kit available that also comes with a mounting bracket (and possibly even new electrical connectors -- although I wouldn't hesitate to hard wire this and solder the connections.)

• 2 weeks later...

Fffrank

Thanks for your comments.

My local Mercury dealer simply shrugged and said they could not get the part.   No recommendation on an aftermarket equivalent or any interest in helping find one.

I have trouble screwing in a light bulb.

Do you know of a company / dealer that can step me through the process of finding an installing the "best" fuel pump for my 1996 Scorpion engine ?

Tomc

25 minutes ago, Tomc said:

Fffrank

Thanks for your comments.

My local Mercury dealer simply shrugged and said they could not get the part.   No recommendation on an aftermarket equivalent or any interest in helping find one.

I have trouble screwing in a light bulb.

Do you know of a company / dealer that can step me through the process of finding an installing the "best" fuel pump for my 1996 Scorpion engine ?

Tomc

Paul at bakes or Vince at Skidim or Ron at skiboatparts.com

• 2 years later...