Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best Lock for New Malibu Trailers?

ahopkins22LSV

To lock what? Coupler to the truck, or something that keeps someone from stealing it out of the driveway? 

For on the truck, a master lock through the safety chain/hitch works as well as anything. 

57 minutes ago, hunter77ah said:

If you get a boot, get one that covers the lug nuts.  Otherwise, a spare tire, jack and impact will make short work of this.   

Yeah, but I could remove one of these in less than a minute with a cordless drill and a hammer  https://www.walmart.com/ip/Reese-Towpower-Universal-Coupler-Lock-Model-7278330/15125814  (Same is true of the wheel chock)

The idea is to protect it from the un motivated thieves.

29 minutes ago, Cole2001 said:

This is what I'm currently using on my 2018 Malibu trailer as well. Works well but considered grinding the part that clamps against the front part of coupler flat to match the trailer.

Edited by G Spot
8 minutes ago, Raimie said:

I just fold the tongue and put my master lock through the swing release pin hole. I've had the same lock on my boats since my sportster...I'm not changing it now!

I do the same.  

• Like 2
ahopkins22LSV
53 minutes ago, Raimie said:

I just fold the tongue and put my master lock through the swing release pin hole. I've had the same lock on my boats since my sportster...I'm not changing it now!

Ah didn’t think of that! This requires nothing new. Thanks!

4 hours ago, cWonka said:

I like this one, it looks rugged, not like it came from Amazon or Walmart.

On a trailer I had many years ago, I simply unbolted the hitch from the tongue (didn't have surge brakes).  It's hard to steal a trailer without a hitch.

ahopkins22LSV
4 hours ago, G Spot said:

This is what I'm currently using on my 2018 Malibu trailer as well. Works well but considered grinding the part that clamps against the front part of coupler flat to match the trailer.

I was wondering how that would work against the squared off coupler they are using. 

https://www.provenlocks.com/collections/2-trailer-coupler-locks/products/model-2178-u

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Yd9ar6mQKk

Expensive, but if boat/trailer is left unattended at a campsite, lake house, or other location you are unfamiliar with where a thief might be a little more determined and has time to pry/pull/cut/hammer/etc, it can provide some piece of mind.  I guess the next step would be to make sure the coupler itself couldn't be removed and swapped out if they were smart enough to bring a spare with them.  I usually just use a pin lock through the latch most of the time though.

Edited by D_Turner
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

I was wondering how that would work against the squared off coupler they are using. 

The harbor freight one above will take care of it it looks like 

I drilled a hole in my tongue pin at bottom  put it back through hole and lock at bottom after swinging it away 

i also added a 7/8 inch long galvanized  3/4” plumbing pipe where inside dimensions and s little honing slips over bottom of pin before lock make it where you have to grind the case hardened Trailer lock  cause the pipe protecting the pin above the lock through the hole will just spin. 

So their  going to need a grinder and they will be there making noise for awhile !! 

I use the SS steel pin round key lock in coupler and if the were shorter I’d trust that cause they would have to grind the lock , the length makes it where they could grind the skinny post that sticks out cause too long   

I keep it in the coupler cause they have two points to grind or cut with a torch   

Edited by granddaddy55
  • 2 weeks later...

I might overkill a little, when not hooked to truck I use one of the gorilla locks in coupler where ball goes....and also a round latch pin lock that will keep the gorilla lock into coupler cause you cannot pull the release latch. I then also swing away the tongue and use a cable lock thru hole and lock swing to side as well as put the pin into truck. Any determined thief could get it, but it would take a while and involve removing 3 different locks and having a replacement pin for the swing away

When I launch boat at ramp, for some reason I have always been anal about always taking my 7 pin adapter out of wiring harness and putting it into drivers seat (just surge brakes). When I was a kid, adapter was stolen from my parents vehicle while we were on lake and I have never forgotten that little lesson, also have the round latch pin lock that locks trailer onto truck ball and my receiver also has lock keeping it on the truck. Only downside.....4 different keys to keep track of! I keep an extra set in truck and an extra set at house since that would suck really bad losing the keys.