Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2017 20VTX Need wake setup advice

Pilz

I've tried some setups for a 275lb wakesurfer and haven't been able to figure out the best wake setup.  Basically, the only wake that keeps him going is real close to the boat and in the middle.  There is no room to work back or out without losing the "push".    I have mid and rear hard tanks,.  Just added/tried 2 rear 400lb fatsacs.  I've filled all tanks, set wedge from 1 click from Lift up to 4 clicks and surfgate on.  Varied speed from 9.5 to 10.5.  The only way to keep momentum is to surf right off the deck.  Other than buying a bigger Malibu :), any advice for the best setup with the equipment I have?

ahopkins22LSV

I’ve found 10.6mph, wedge one up from ramp and full ballast plus 550 plug n play bags and 150lbs on lead in the bow is pretty good. My buddy is about the same weight and was able to surf it just fine yesterday. This is the regular side too. Same setup for the goofy wave I just ran the wedge in ramp. I would go much slower then that for boat speed because you need speed in the boat to have speed on the wave so the surfer can generate speed.

If you don’t have a bow tank, you are going to need a bow bag or a lot of lead. With no weight up there the boat is going to be wayyyyy to stern heavy and the wave will be super short. You also will be having a very difficult time seeing over the bow for the driver. I’d guess the stock bow tank is 150ish pounds so I’d start with a 300-400 pounds for a bag to test it out of if you can borrow a bag. Or buy a 650 bow triangle bag and experiment with filling it at different levels.

So no offense meant with these questions, but how long has your friend been surfing? If he is new to it, it’s always going to seem like the wave is super short because he doesn’t really know how to use the wave yet. Also what board? A big heavy board is going to be super slow and make it feel like the wave is short. 

Absolutely no offense taken.  Good points.  Good skier and wakeboarder but newbie to surfing.  Using a CWB board.  It's clear that we're too heavy in the stern with little up front.  I added the rear bags to make up for less people in the boat from last year when he was able to ride the wave.  Obviously the weight distribution of people was more up front than those bags.  I understand now the rear weight shortened the wake.  I might try full stock ballast and use one of the fat sacs in the bow to scope out the difference.  Thanks.   

I got the 2016 just added bags. Tried filling all stock ballasts and the pnp full. That doesn’t work so well. Filled the pnp to half full and no wedge about 11.2 mph. Wasn’t too bad.  I would also like to know what the best setup is. I only tried messing with it for 30 mins. 

13 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

Well you are going to need the bags in the back. I’d just add weight to front. 

Ok.. checking into bow bags now.  Thanks again. 

• Like 1

Lead, the heck with a non plumbed sac of any kind much less even a plumbed on cushion sac 

a vdrive is meant to be a comfortable and spacious and easy to use.  With sacs you lose all three

once I got lead and my$20 auto zone cargo net under bimini for surf boards and it’s like I have a new 20 footer with more room

AND lead can be moved and put anywhere such as to create a listed surf wave or even out a wake for riding at slower or regular speeds 

only mistake I made was getting 50’s instead of 35’s for ease of moving them around 

Edited by granddaddy55
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/9/2018 at 10:59 AM, ahopkinsTXi said:

10.8mph, wedge at ramp, full mls with 550 pnp, 150 pound of lead in the bow. Pretty awesome for a 20’ boat. 

723B989E-2C50-4068-8BD5-6129270B6216.thumb.jpeg.a59bd1e0c5cfafa0c155e0622c8e6c7a.jpeg

What prop do you have?  I am guessing 410 engine?

ahopkins22LSV
9 minutes ago, klingsdesigns said:

What prop do you have?  I am guessing 410 engine?

Yes base 410 raptor and the OJ 948 prop. It topped out at 10.2-10.4 this past weekend but I had a much larger crew. I drained some rear ballast and ran at 10.4-10.5 and the wave was still extremely good. 10.8 is a struggle for regular side. Better to run a bit slower and maybe with less rear weight depending on crew size. 

• Like 1

I got the 2401 seemed to struggle with all the weight. Still waiting to get my autovents fixed and try again before i get a new prop.