Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ski pylon loose

2000 Sunsetter LXI.

My ski pylon is just barely loose. The bolt on the bottom is bottomed out and as tight as I can get it. Is there another way to tighten? What if I get a longer bolt?

Edited by braindamage
ahopkins22LSV
7 hours ago, braindamage said:

2000 Sunsetter LXI.

My ski pylon is just barely loose. The bolt on the bottom is bottomed out and as tight as I can get it. Is there another way to tighten? What if I get a longer bolt?

Longer bolt may work or can you loosen the bolts and rotate the pylon? On my dads old Moomba outback we had to do that because the puking was worn in that spot. Once we did that we didn’t have problems for the next 10 ish years up until he sold it last year. 

Hey BD, fixed my loose pylon on a sportster, not sunsetter, but it looks the same. On mine, the pylon is retained tight by a locking taper design between pole tapered od and glass socket bore. The bolt is only a secondary backup and does not tighten the pole long term. 

Malibu dealer advised to remove the bolt and nut, pull out the pole, cut a shim from a beer can, wrap it around the taper on the pole, and jam it it back down into the seat. You heard that right!

Well i didnt take that advise. Instead, cleaned out the hole and pylon taper with acetone, cut approx .25” off pole bottom, used West system epoxy glass with a glass filler powder, coated the pole taper and bore with it, and then reseated pole hard into socket. On my boat, it is now solid and i think it will never come back out. 

On yours, remove the bolt and pull up the pylon. See if the bottom 8” or so of the pole is tapered. If so, you now have some options on fixing it. Good luck!

• Like 2

The bolt goes all the way through, so I bet I have the same system as @mcgreg. It’s not loose now, but I’ll do he same as you describe. this will be a late season project some day(s) when the weather is not so great.