Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Weird 2017 Issue

ahopkins22LSV

ahopkins22LSV

So on my friends boat we are having a weird issues that main cabin and sub amp will fault out. It flashes a code that we looked up that says speaker short channel 3 or 4. We’ve checked ever connection we can get to and they are all good. Checked powers and grounds too. Yesterday we seemed to isolate when it happens. We are playing music via Bluetooth and if your turn the boat on, then turn the stereo on and connect it will be fine. If you stop playing music for any reason on your phone, to make a call or something it will short. Then you can turn the stereo off, let it sit for a few and then restart the stereo, connect to Bluetooth and be good. Not a terrible work around but we are lost at where to continue troubleshooting.

TIA!

ahopkins22LSV

Ok, so this isn’t just a Bluetooth issue. Happened on the usb cord in the glove box too. It also happened when I restarted the engine from us anchoring for a little bit. I tested restarting the engine on Bluetooth and usb and the amp shorted both times. 

My 17 Axis T23 is doing the exact same thing. My boat is going in shop to hopefully troubleshoot. WetSounds told me they think that it is a bad speaker which is causing it to trip. I do have a bit of engine noise coming through one of my rear interiors which I pointed out to my dealer in day 1 but they never resolved it. This time my boat is staying with them for a week while I’m at the beach. Hopefully it gets resolved this go around. Curious to see what others say.

ahopkins22LSV

Interesting. That would make sense with the code the amp is flashing. I guess I could sit by each speaker and see if I can hear anything as the motor is re starting or something.

Does anyone know what channels 3 and 4 are? That way I can cut my trial in half?

Besides being a 2017, am I overlooking the rest of the details? 

You checked connecting and power cables in what way? Did you ohm the speaker leads? Voltage at the amp's power cables when the issue happens? 

ahopkins22LSV
28 minutes ago, MLA said:

Besides being a 2017, am I overlooking the rest of the details? 

You checked connecting and power cables in what way? Did you ohm the speaker leads? Voltage at the amp's power cables when the issue happens? 

I made sure the connections are good. I didn’t check amps or ohms.

• 1 month later...
On 6/1/2018 at 9:12 AM, ahopkinsTXi said:

I made sure the connections are good. I didn’t check amps or ohms.

Did you ever get this issue resolved? As mentioned I was having the same issue; I finally got my amp replaced and knock on wood it has not done it since.

ahopkins22LSV
6 hours ago, Jasvols83 said:

Did you ever get this issue resolved? As mentioned I was having the same issue; I finally got my amp replaced and knock on wood it has not done it since.

No. I’ve just been turning the stereo off before I restart the engine and then turning it back on again. Boat goes to the dealer in a week or two so they can look into it then. 

Well.....I'm on my 2nd interior amp and will most likely be on my 3rd amp soon. A buddy who works on WS stuff says WS is having problems with the DSP amps. Either you get a good one or you get a bad one. It sounds that wide spread. I'm on my 2nd black box/head unit and the stereo noise is still there. It went away for a while after the amp was replaced and has come back. So my bet is, you need a new amp. 

Mine is on an Axis and does not have the DSP amps. My interior was an WS HTX6 but doing exactly what OP stated.  My interior is however still buzzing (static) quite a bit and I have heard from other post that is probably my black box. At this point I’m going to try to take care of that in the off season bc it is not over bearing.