Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Options for 600+ watts on the tower?

macdonjo

I don't want to use more than 4 channels on the tower, but want to hit 600+ watts. That should narrow down my options. I know a pair of REV10 would do it, right? 2 channels, 300 watts each, 4 ohms.

Kicker has some 11" coming out this summer which will also push 300 watts per channel, but I'm not into waiting until August as the season will be basically over by the time I get them ordered and installed.

Exile XM9 are 250 watts per channel, so 500 watts, which is a close option. I could do 2 pair but that's way more than a pair of REV10s.

Anything else I'm missing? I can't wait until Kicker catches up and joins the high-end projection game this summer.

Edited by macdonjo
20 minutes ago, macdonjo said:

I don't want to use more than 4 channels on the tower, but want to hit 600+ watts. That should narrow down my options. I know a pair of REV10 would do it, right? 2 channels, 300 watts each, 4 ohms. 

Kicker has some 11" coming out this summer which will also push 300 watts per channel, but I'm not into waiting until August as the season will be basically over by the time I get them ordered and installed.

Exile XM9 are 250 watts per channel, so 500 watts, which is a close option. I could do 2 pair but that's way more than a pair of REV10s.

Anything else I'm missing? I can't wait until Kicker catches up and joins the high-end projection game this summer.

I’m running 300w to each of 4 Exile Surf9’s.  It takes TWO Exile XM30.2 amps (one for each pair). They produce 300w x 2 @ 4 ohms. You could do the same with the XM9’s if you prefer HLCD’s. In total I have 1,200 watts on the tower through 4 channels

If you only want 600 watts you could just cut my setup in half (two channels + one xm30.2), but that’s no fun!  

The other option is four tower speakers with just one xm30.2 amp. Then you will get 210 watts to each of four channels @ 2 ohms, or 840 watts total. 

26 minutes ago, IXFE said:

I’m running 300w to each of 4 Exile Surf9’s.  It takes TWO Exile XM30.2 amps (one for each pair). They produce 300w x 2 @ 4 ohms. You could do the same with the XM9’s if you prefer HLCD’s. In total I have 1,200 watts on the tower through 4 channels

If you only want 600 watts you could just cut my setup in half (two channels + one xm30.2), but that’s no fun!  

The other option is four tower speakers with just one xm30.2 amp. Then you will get 210 watts to each of four channels @ 2 ohms, or 840 watts total. 

Four of those at 300 watts each? Wow $$$. I was hoping to get the tower taken care of for around $2k and then sub for $1k, for this iteration. If those are anywhere near the XM9 price, you gotta be in the $3500 range for 4 Exiles w/ 2 amps alone?

How is the low frequency with the exiles? They don't list it on the site? Do you still have a woofer? If it's low, say 20 Hz like the Wetsounds, then I may be able to skip a woofer and spend more on a setup like what you have.

I'm considering doing 2 channels before this summer and 2 channels next summer. I just got the boat, so I don't want to pour tons of money into it unless I know I'm keeping it for a while.

Edited by macdonjo

4 surf 9's 1-xm30

1-sub - 1- 15.1 amp.

total $3k......

call up exile on Tuesday and tell them what you are looking for, and your budget, and  I'm pretty sure you'll be happy with the outcome. 

IMG_0777.PNG

• Like 2
8 hours ago, macdonjo said:

Where are you getting the 600W figure from? Speakers do not produce wattage, they consumer, converting to output. The wattage comes from the amp, so it you are wanting a 600W tower system, you need to be looking at amps. Even then, you are putting the cart before the horse.

Reading through, it seems you are looking for wake range projection from an HLCD, but also looking for the most mid-bass and best near-field sound quality. The largest tower speaker you can get, will yield the best of both worlds. 

A tower speaker of any size or quantity, will never replace a sub woofer. Tower speakers are mid-bass drivers, so ignore those frequency specs, they are not going to play bass notes, nor do we want to force them to. Pod volume is the biggest limiting factor here, but even then, and large driver, like a 10" or 11" will deliver more and deeper mid-bass then an 8" driver. A a single pair of larger speakers will also come in less expensive then 2 pair of smaller speakers. 

5 hours ago, Ronnie said:

1 Pair Wetsounds Rev10’s

1 Wetsounds Syn-DX2.3HP 

All you’ll ever need.

Minor adjustment

Or a single Syn-DX6 6 chnl amp could deliver 400W rms to each 10" tower speaker and then 600W for a 12" woofer. This option would come in under $3K, even with installation and woofer enclosure materials. One amp for one pair of tower speakers, rather then 2 amps for 4 smaller speakers + another amp for woofer. 

Ratings and specs can be tricky. Speaker power ratings are the amount of power they can safely accept/dissipate. That rating has nothing to do with the acoustic output they can generate. Also, comparing these specs from manufacturer to manufacturer is fruitless because there's no consistent measurement standard.  

But it sounds like you want a lot of speaker output power on the tower. The Wetsounds Rev10 provides the greatest cone size and the greatest pod size. And so the Rev10 offers the greater acoustic power and the deeper midbass.

As mentioned above, no tower speaker will produce deep bass. Not now. Not ever. Deep bass will have to come from the boat. However, the better the tower speaker midbass, the better they seem to mesh with the in-boat subwoofer and provide the illusion of deep bass. The purpose of tower speakers is to project over a distance, however, as that distance away from the boat increases, especially when in motion, the deep bass from the subwoofer will fall off more rapidly. So don't expect any deep bass at the end of a rope.

Edited by David
2 hours ago, MLA said:

Where are you getting the 600W figure from? Speakers do not produce wattage, they consumer, converting to output. The wattage comes from the amp, so it you are wanting a 600W tower system, you need to be looking at amps. Even then, you are putting the cart before the horse.

Reading through, it seems you are looking for wake range projection from an HLCD, but also looking for the most mid-bass and best near-field sound quality. The largest tower speaker you can get, will yield the best of both worlds. 

A tower speaker of any size or quantity, will never replace a sub woofer. Tower speakers are mid-bass drivers, so ignore those frequency specs, they are not going to play bass notes, nor do we want to force them to. Pod volume is the biggest limiting factor here, but even then, and large driver, like a 10" or 11" will deliver more and deeper mid-bass then an 8" driver. A a single pair of larger speakers will also come in less expensive then 2 pair of smaller speakers. 

Minor adjustment

Or a single Syn-DX6 6 chnl amp could deliver 400W rms to each 10" tower speaker and then 600W for a 12" woofer. This option would come in under $3K, even with installation and woofer enclosure materials. One amp for one pair of tower speakers, rather then 2 amps for 4 smaller speakers + another amp for woofer. 

The 600W comes from RMS stats on the speakers. I don't know how much I'd want to exceed RMS, but I'm also new at all this so what do I know.

Good point on the single pair of large speakers > 2 pair of smalls. Also makes tagging on an extra pair next year easy.

So you're saying 800 watts on the tower and 600 watts to the woofer from 1 amp? At how many ohms?

Very helpful information. I'm taking notes!

Edited by macdonjo

Quote, "So you're saying 800 watts on the tower and 600 watts to the woofer from 1 amp? At how many ohms?"

With the amplifier bridged into three channels, and all three channels having a 4-ohm load. A very good scheme, cost-efficient, perfect for the application, premium product.

On 5/27/2018 at 12:16 AM, Stevo said:

4 surf 9's 1-xm30

1-sub - 1- 15.1 amp.

total $3k......

call up exile on Tuesday and tell them what you are looking for, and your budget, and  I'm pretty sure you'll be happy with the outcome. 

IMG_0777.PNG

^^^ This x1000.

I just did a sub upgrade on my T22 and wanted to use the exile sub with my existing wetsounds amp for now to stay in a budget, knowing down the road I would upgrade to a Javelin  

I called and talked with Donovan, I ended up ordering a XI 12 and a Javelin right away, price was right and the customer service was excellent. Not to mention the product operates and sounds amazing. 

As @Stevo mentioned, just give Brian or Donovan a call. You will be happy you did.