Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

MTC touchscreen 7" stopped responding to touch

Put fully charged batteries back in my 2016 Malibu 22 MXZ with for the first trip to the lake this season. Everything worked great except the MTC touchscreen 7" will not respond to touch. It comes on and looks fine but it's useless without the touch screen functioning. I've turned the batteries off and back on but I still get the same result. Any recommendations or does this point to needing a new unit? It is under warranty but I will not be able to get it to the dealer before we leave for the lake today. The boat only has 36 hours of use so far.  Thanks in advance

Edited by jaegerboys

My 7" screen went out on the day I was going to buy my 2015 22 VLX.  My wife and I went to inspect boat and negotiate the sell.  When we met with previous owner, he tried to show us the features.  We were unable to get beyond typing in the pass code when the 7" screen would flash over and over.  We tried everything, from unplugging the screen and disconnecting the batteries.  Nothing helped to solve the problem. 

Needless to say, we did not buy the boat that day.  Since the boat was still under warranty, the previous owner was able to get the boat to the dealer wherein the 7" screen was replaced.  Ultimately, we did buy the boat last May (2017) with 73-hours.  Since then, everything has worked fine.  I would recommend that you take it to your dealer and get the screen replaced while your boat is still under warranty.  Hopefully, this will fix your problem.  Bummer about the timing of your problem before holiday weekend.

• Like 2

Thanks P6Expert for your response! My Malibu Dealer (NoWake Marina in Cincinnati) replaced the MTC touchscreen very quickly and we were on the water an hour later. I was very impressed with their response.  

Under the dash, behind the screen there is a harness that plugs into the screen.  Remove the plug, clean connections, and re plug in.  Try that first as it may save you a trip and has worked for other people

There was a bad batch of those screens in late MY2015 and early 2016. It may have extended beyond, but I know those models were affected. My dealer who is about an hour away let me take a picture of the serial number, verified it was affected, and sent me a replacement unit and I did the install which is very easy and straightforward.

• 4 years later...
On 5/25/2018 at 5:03 AM, jaegerboys said:

Put fully charged batteries back in my 2016 Malibu 22 MXZ with for the first trip to the lake this season. Everything worked great except the MTC touchscreen 7" will not respond to touch. It comes on and looks fine but it's useless without the touch screen functioning. I've turned the batteries off and back on but I still get the same result. Any recommendations or does this point to needing a new unit? It is under warranty but I will not be able to get it to the dealer before we leave for the lake today. The boat only has 36 hours of use so far.  Thanks in advance

I’m having same problem. Did you figure out what was wrong?