Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2000 response general info/ fiberglass floor question

bbarber126

Hey guys,

I’m on the search for my first inboard, and had to pass on a ‘94 echelon that I posted here about a few weeks ago. Recently found and viewed a 2000 Response LX. The boat seemed very clean overall(carpet could use a cleaning/ hull is a little faded), rub rail is immaculate, seats are all newly reupholstered. Boat fired right up after having sat for a week (surprised the guy and showed up out of the blue). All accessories/pumps/etc worked. Little bit of oil by the fill, but none anywhere else or in the bildge. The back box that the shaft runs through has been glasses over, messily, but that sounds like a common fix to a common issue based on these forums. The only thing I’m curious about is that I was under the impression that malibu’s were all glass after ‘94. In this one the stringers are glass and the floors feel solid, but on the edge of floor compartments, the floor felt like more of a plywood than anything, could this just be around compartments or is it a floor wide thing? At $7300 it seems like quite the steal.

Definitely no wood.  My 03 feels a bit "flexy" on the aluminum honeycomb (or whatever it is) cover behind the engine cover.  My friends '05 is the same.  Is that the area you are referring to, or is it in other spots?

That is a very low price.

@bbarber126:   Malibu boats post ~1992 or starting in 1993 with the Echelon did not have any wood as part of the construction (Euro F3 was the last of them IIRC), you can get some good information on each model year by going to the resource section on this site and looking through the owners manuals.  If there is wood, it was a repair to the boat, I believe that year has an aluminum honeycomb construction process for the floor or compartment covers.  There are threads on this site that address issues with them.

@powbmps yes that’d be the area, though I think the actual cover may have been replaced with plywood and recarpeted, as the underside of that cover definitely looks  like wood. There’s also a small compartment in front of the engine cover where it felt like the edge of the floor was wood, could just be what you’re talking about or maybe a trim piece. Rest of the boat is solid. Owner has already sold his house and will be moving to Colorado shortly, hence the low price. The pictures on the ad are so poor and lack effort that nobody else has rushed down to see it (I think) so I’m getting it for cheap.