Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Water in bilge...looks to be small leak from tracking fins?

Water in bilge...looks to be small leak from tracking fins?

My boat is a 1997 Response 250hrs

Anyone else have this happen. I took all of the screws out and coated them with RTV, leaks less but still leaks a bit. I am talking about 2 cups in an afternoon. I want it bone dry!

Thanks

Andy

I am talking about 2 cups in an afternoon. I want it bone dry!

And I thought I was anal.

If that's how you want it, I'd recommend skipping the Malibu and getting a Martini. Biggrin.gif

Seriously, It sure sounds like normal dripping from your shaft packing.

Welcome.gif

Every Malibu owner I have talked to says the same thing, water is going to be in the bilge. Always. Shaft packing is usually the spot if you are getting 2 cups in an afternoon, then if you replaced the seal you probably would get more than that afterwards. Don't get crazy, your going to take on water.

I am talking about 2 cups in an afternoon. I want it bone dry!

I'd suggest you look up a TMC member named edwin. With his help and the proper installation of his "wetbuckets" you might be able to keep the inside a bit dryer. ROFL.gif

Yep, I am a water nut, just not in my blige. Hay Bryan, I live in Virginia. I have been to Flower Mound, love the Bass Proshop. I have an old buddy that used to live there, Gary Wait, know him?

Guys thanks for the imput, guess I will chill and have a martini or two....

Andy

My 2 year old daughter spills more than two cups of Juicy Juice in an afternoon. It's a real treat when that gets mixed with Goldfish Crackers. I swear there is no epoxy on the market that compares to the adhesive power of that combo!

My 2 year old daughter spills more than two cups of Juicy Juice in an afternoon. It's a real treat when that gets mixed with Goldfish Crackers. I swear there is no epoxy on the market that compares to the adhesive power of that combo!
Every Malibu owner I have talked to says the same thing, water is going to be in the bilge. Always. Shaft packing is usually the spot if you are getting 2 cups in an afternoon, then if you replaced the seal you probably would get more than that afterwards. Don't get crazy, your going to take on water.

inboard owner

I swear there is no epoxy on the market that compares to the adhesive power of that combo!

I'd suggest you try mixing in a bit of dog hair. It acts like fiber strands and gives the stuff some real strength! :lol: