Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Opinions on new boat issue

Cboom12

I recently took delivery of my 2018 a24, we love the boat but there is a semi serious issue with the trailer and it was due to a mistake by the dealer. The PO I signed has the optional transom steps for the trailer, unfortunately the order that Malibu got did not have the steps so my trailer showed up without them. I noticed right away at delivery and my dealer assured me that they were working on a solution. We have had the boat about 3 weeks now, not having the steps is a huge pain, there is no easy way to get in the boat when trailered. I was told today that swapping trailers has been ruled out. What in your opinions is an acceptable solution to this issue? 

Need to know who screwed up. Did the order from the dealer go in correct? Or did the factory make the mistake?     Or even better buy a lake front home so the only time you need the trailer is to launch for the year or pick it up at the end of the year. ;)    Might want something on paper ASAP.

Let me get this straight, you paid the money for the trailer step option and now they are saying tough Schmidt? Like Sixball said, get your paperwork in order. Hard to disagree with documented proof. Who is they, the dealership? Why was it not an option to swap? Probably a rhetorical question, peak boat building season. Did they offer to reimburse the cost of the step option and make their screw up a little more palatable by offering you some discounted watersports gear or other incentives? For the dealer near me you buy any boat new or used you get you 25% off that kind of stuff as a general practice. I would think any good dealership would be wanting to jump on this right up front to fix their mistake and keep a customer. Something like this not getting fixed in a reasonable manner would burn any bridges with me. The worst part is, that if you have to use them exclusively for anything after the sale and you get their panties in a bunch you stand to loose a lot more later on, like front of the line privileges and piece of mind knowing they took care of you problem correctly. At a minimum I would want the cost of the option reimbursed no matter what. 

• Like 1

As far as I can tell the dealer screwed up, the order placed to Malibu didn’t have the steps but it is on the purchase order I signed. And honestly refunding the cost of the step is not an acceptable outcome, like I said u can’t hardly get in the boat. And it would be drastically more expensive to add steps to the trailer now. At this point I haven’t been offered any solution yet, when I spoke to the dealer today they told me we can’t swap trailers. 

As for moving to the lake, I like that idea, but I live in California lake front property is a touch out of my price range. Lol. 

I still can't believe they charge extra for the steps.  I just bought the base boatmate trailer for my cobalt and it came with the steps standard...  

as to your issue, just work with the dealer.  If you have paperwork saying you paid for them, then it should be pretty easy to resolve.  who cares if it was malibu or the dealer.... take care of the customer.

Edited by bamabonners
55 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

I'd raise it up to malibu corp if you have a purchase order with the steps documented on it.  Although it seems easy enough to bolt some steps to the trailer. 

The factory ones are welded on and they have the taillights mounted in them, so not as easy as it may seem.

25 minutes ago, bamabonners said:

I still can't believe they charge extra for the steps.  I just bought the base boatmate trailer for my cobalt and it came with the steps standard...  

as to your issue, just work with the dealer.  If you have paperwork saying you paid for them, then it should be pretty easy to resolve.  who cares if it was malibu or the dealer.... take care of the customer.

Ya i totally agree, like i said you can’t hardly get in the boat. 

Im trying to be patient and let them work it out but it doesn’t seem that they r being very proactive. But ya when you spend this kind of money I think it is reasonable to expect your dealer to take care of your issues. 

5 minutes ago, Cboom12 said:

The factory ones are welded on and they have the taillights mounted in them, so not as easy as it may seem.

Pretty easy if all you need is a step.  You already have tail lights

Pretty simple - you have a signed purchase order with them and you paid for it.

If that means them eating the cost of the trailer, purchasing another and doing the swap, it is a them problem.  Would be an easy win in court, but if you need that dealer for anything going forward that's not a good option...

Just now, Nitrousbird said:

Pretty simple - you have a signed purchase order with them and you paid for it.

If that means them eating the cost of the trailer, purchasing another and doing the swap, it is a them problem.  Would be an easy win in court, but if you need that dealer for anything going forward that's not a good option...

Problem is that he accepted delivery and signed the papers.  So legally it isn't that cut and dried.  The dealer should make it right, and if they don't then malibu should.  Although legally they would really only have to give back the option price. 

4 minutes ago, Pnwrider said:

They don’t order any floor models or have any other customers buying a24s? Seems crazy they can’t just check that option and swap trailers for you... 

Exactly what it thought, I’m pretty sure they order every boat with it because it’s such a pain to get in the boat without them. 

Try asking to add the front steps on the tongue, they’re just a simple bolt on.  

Edit. That is for boatmate, forgot about bu trailers, probably the same way....

Edited by Cole2001
8 hours ago, Cboom12 said:

Dealer can order the steps and get them welded on locally and then sprayed.

Not hard at all.

14 minutes ago, 23LSVOwner said:

Dealer can order the steps and get them welded on locally and then sprayed.

take a moment to remind your dealer that there may be wiring hidden in the adjacent area.

my dealership missed that and i had to make those repairs.

23 minutes ago, tvano said:

take a moment to remind your dealer that there may be wiring hidden in the adjacent area.

my dealership missed that and i had to make those repairs.

Yep.

That area is easy though. Attach pull wire to the harness, pull it fwd away from the welding area and then pull it back when done.

If the dealer made the mistake the dealer needs to fix it!  They said they will work with you, fine but that means getting it to what you ordered or something that you are happy with. Not a cash back for not getting the option!  You could drop the boat and trailer and tell them you are contacting the bank and lawyers to get out of the deal.  The dealers reputation should be wort much more then the fix could cost even if it is getting a new trailer! JMHO.   

13 hours ago, Cboom12 said:

I recently took delivery of my 2018 a24, we love the boat but there is a semi serious issue with the trailer and it was due to a mistake by the dealer. The PO I signed has the optional transom steps for the trailer, unfortunately the order that Malibu got did not have the steps so my trailer showed up without them. I noticed right away at delivery and my dealer assured me that they were working on a solution. We have had the boat about 3 weeks now, not having the steps is a huge pain, there is no easy way to get in the boat when trailered. I was told today that swapping trailers has been ruled out. What in your opinions is an acceptable solution to this issue? 

IMO the acceptable solution is to let them add the steps. It isn't a hard thing to do.

From your wording it sounds like you told them you wanted a new trailer.

34 minutes ago, Sixball said:

If the dealer made the mistake the dealer needs to fix it!  They said they will work with you, fine but that means getting it to what you ordered or something that you are happy with. Not a cash back for not getting the option!  You could drop the boat and trailer and tell them you are contacting the bank and lawyers to get out of the deal.  The dealers reputation should be wort much more then the fix could cost even if it is getting a new trailer! JMHO.   

Going straight to the hard a$$ position isn't usually the quickest or best way to get something resolved. It would also strain the relationship with the dealer and possibly affect future interactions, etc.

• Like 2
ahopkins22LSV

I know this sounds as simple as them ordering a trailer for a stock both with the steps and making the swap. Although, do they actually have any sock boats on order or all they all customer orders? Are they already locked in and can't change them? I'd still ask them to do this. 

And in regards to cost, its probably the most reasonable option on the entire option sheet. It is a couple hundred dollars, very fair. And people think that boatmate isn't charging for these, :lol:, they are. It is extra material and labor. It is just built into the "standard" price. I actually prefer that Malibu give the option. They are not needed for some that use their trailer twice and year and they get to save a few hundred.

• Like 3

@Cboom12 try and be patient, I have been affiliated with this dealer for 8 years now and they wont leave you hanging.  My 2013 vlx I owned had trailer bunks that were mis aligned from boatmate.  Every time I loaded the boat it was crooked and misaligned.  They ended up lifting my boat off the trailer and re aligning the bunks for me.  Regardless who was at fault for the mistake they will find a solution for you.

It is a very busy time for them right now.  In the meantime enjoy the boat and try and keep in good positive communications with them.

• Like 3

I did not request a new trailer for the record, it was tossed out as a possible option while discussing the issue. I didn’t figure it was very likely. I’d be totally happy if they welded the steps on and made it look like it came from the factory. 

In addition as I said I’m trying to be patient, but all contact since delivery of the boat has been initiated by me. That alone doesn’t make it feel like they are being proactive in solving the issue. I get it is prime season  

The the option is very reasonably priced, but having it done after market would not be and that is part of the problem. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Fman said:

@Cboom12 try and be patient, I have been affiliated with this dealer for 8 years now and they wont leave you hanging.  My 2013 vlx I owned had trailer bunks that were mis aligned from boatmate.  Every time I loaded the boat it was crooked and misaligned.  They ended up lifting my boat off the trailer and re aligning the bunks for me.  Regardless who was at fault for the mistake they will find a solution for you.

It is a very busy time for them right now.  In the meantime enjoy the boat and try and keep in good positive communications with them.

This is good to hear. 

25 minutes ago, Cboom12 said:

I did not request a new trailer for the record, it was tossed out as a possible option while discussing the issue. I didn’t figure it was very likely. I’d be totally happy if they welded the steps on and made it look like it came from the factory. 

In addition as I said I’m trying to be patient, but all contact since delivery of the boat has been initiated by me. That alone doesn’t make it feel like they are being proactive in solving the issue. I get it is prime season  

The the option is very reasonably priced, but having it done after market would not be and that is part of the problem. 

I'm with @23LSVOwner on this one. Adding the steps would be ridiculously easy. Remove taillights, tuck wires up into frame away from work area. Grind/prep the area, and weld on the precut/formed steps from Malibu, prep, paint, blend, pull wires back and install taillights... done deal.

I could do that whole job in a few hours. Any body shop, or person experienced with welding and painting could..... 

Edited by TenTwentyOne