Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Coolant Temp Alarm - MXZ 2017 - 90 hours

Mortensen0034

On the water for the first time since winterization and getting a service warning / coolant temp alarm.  This is my first Malibu and is much more complicated then my previous boats.  I had it winterized by my non-Malibu dealership that has done my other boats for years with no problems. 

Picked up the boat and tech told me just to charge the batteries and I should be good to go.  After alarm went off I checked the coolant tank and it's totally dry.  I'm going to refill but I can't find any plugs left out. Any ideas as to why this would have happened?   This boat is basically new, very limited hours last year and was working perfectly prior to winterizing. 

ahopkins22LSV

Did the dealer that did the winterization not realize that the raptor is a closed cooling engine and you don’t need to drain the block and heater (if you have a heater)?

If you do have a heater it’s going to take more coolant to fill the whole system. 

I do have a heater and I think I have an inexperienced tech.  Can I just fill the coolant to solve the problem?  When I was out the engine temp spiked (never red-lined though) and came back down once I put it in idle and got back to the dock.  

ahopkins22LSV
33 minutes ago, Mortensen0034 said:

I do have a heater and I think I have an inexperienced tech.  Can I just fill the coolant to solve the problem?  When I was out the engine temp spiked (never red-lined though) and came back down once I put it in idle and got back to the dock.  

I would definitely start with refilling. You may have to fill, run for a minute and fill more a few times to actually get the level back since it is quite a long run to the heater. As you are doing that I would be looking for leaks. Should be pretty obvious if there is coolant in the bilge. 

Edited by ahopkinsTXi

I believe Malibu is shipping the boats with heaters without running the heaters when they demo. This results in  the heaters filling  with coolant when you start using your heater, I have seen this many times. Fill with coolant and it will correct the issue. Make sue you buy the Indmar coolant. 

Edited by ConnollyCrew
ahopkins22LSV
20 minutes ago, ConnollyCrew said:

I believe Malibu is shipping the boats with heaters without running the heaters when they demo. This results in  the heaters filling  with coolant when you start using your heater, I have seen this many times. Fill with coolant and it will correct the issue. Make sue you buy the Indmar coolant. 

How does that work though? Is there actually valves that open and close when you turn the heater on and off? I can’t imagine that is the case. I’ve never seen a boat setup like that. There is always water or coolant flowing through the entire system at all times and turning the heater on only turns the fan on to move air across it and out the tubes. It’s not like they are installing the heaters after the water test... although they could be... that would make zero sense though. 

Edited by ahopkinsTXi
  • Like 1

^ Unless the heater system has a circulation pump. Not sure if Bu is installing them on new boats now? 

I installed circulation pumps on my G’s, and MCs come with them. They won’t let coolant through until you turn the heater on (which triggers the relay to start the circ pump).

I actually figured this out when I installed the heater system in my 2016 G. Got the engine all warmed up and coolant was still reading full. Turned the heater on, and the circ pump filled up the system, and obviously the reservoir level dropped right down. I was surprised it wasn’t at least circulating a little bit on its own. The pumps are just aerator pumps, so I figured it would fill the system without it running...... not so much.

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV
8 hours ago, TenTwentyOne said:

^ Unless the heater system has a circulation pump. Not sure if Bu is installing them on new boats now? 

I installed circulation pumps on my G’s, and MCs come with them. They won’t let coolant through until you turn the heater on (which triggers the relay to start the circ pump).

I actually figured this out when I installed the heater system in my 2016 G. Got the engine all warmed up and coolant was still reading full. Turned the heater on, and the circ pump filled up the system, and obviously the reservoir level dropped right down. I was surprised it wasn’t at least circulating a little bit on its own. The pumps are just aerator pumps, so I figured it would fill the system without it running...... not so much.

Ah maybe. I’m not sure to be honest. Good point though. 

18 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

How does that work though? Is there actually valves that open and close when you turn the heater on and off? I can’t imagine that is the case. I’ve never seen a boat setup like that. There is always water or coolant flowing through the entire system at all times and turning the heater on only turns the fan on to move air across it and out the tubes. It’s not like they are installing the heaters after the water test... although they could be... that would make zero sense though. 

I am convinced that the factory does not fill the heaters with coolant. When you start using it it fills from your system, therefore your boat runs hot due to not having enough coolant. I have seen this in 5 new (2017-2018) Malibu boats. Basically every new one I have bought and my friends boats. I told my dealer to check and fill my 2018 and sure enough they had to add coolant, about 1/2 ]gallon to be exact. They had to add almost 2 gallons to @wbama387 M235 last fall as well.  

Edited by ConnollyCrew
ahopkins22LSV
7 minutes ago, ConnollyCrew said:

I am convinced that the factory does not fill the heaters with coolant. When you start using it it fills from your system, therefore your boat runs hot due to not having enough coolant. I have seen this in 5 new (2017-2018) Malibu boats. Basically every new one I have bought and my friends boats. I told my dealer to check and fill my 2018 and sure enough they had to add coolant, about 1/2 ]gallon to be exact. They had to add almost 2 gallons to @wbama387 M235 last fall as well.  

So can you confirm they use a circulation pump then? Or what’s up? If no pump it still makes no sense. I’ve been less then impressed with the heater in the 2017 we’ve been out a few times in. Blows cold air regardless of rpm or engine temp. 

Not sure if the heater system has circulation pumps, but I can tell you they act like it. First time I used mine it took almost 2 gallons. If your service guy did actually drain the system, you are going to have to bleed all the air out. 

Put me down on the list for needing almost a gallon of coolant after I purchased my 2017. It has a circulation pump, it's on the port side of the motor, near the heat exchanger. 

11 minutes ago, teamerickson said:

An online retailer is asking $50 for the indmar antifreeze per gallon?!?! Are you kidding me! :vomit:

23 bucks at Oreillys.  It is just propylene glycol coolant required per the manual, right?

On 5/29/2018 at 12:55 PM, ahopkinsTXi said:

I’ve been less then impressed with the heater in the 2017 we’ve been out a few times in. Blows cold air regardless of rpm or engine temp. 

Must be something wrong then. The heater in my 18 works great! 

On 5/29/2018 at 2:55 PM, ahopkinsTXi said:

So can you confirm they use a circulation pump then? Or what’s up? If no pump it still makes no sense. I’ve been less then impressed with the heater in the 2017 we’ve been out a few times in. Blows cold air regardless of rpm or engine temp. 

Don’t believe they have circ pumps.  I don’t think the boats are getting run hard enough for thermostat to open up during lake test. I mean on my boat the clamps to the heaters weren’t even in place or tightened and yes we added over 2 gallons. 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

ahopkins22LSV
7 hours ago, spikew919 said:

Don’t believe they have circ pumps.  I don’t think the boats are getting run hard enough for thermostat to open up during lake test. I mean on my boat the clamps to the heaters weren’t even in place or tightened and yes we added over 2 gallons. 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

I saw a few lake tests last year. They get run pretty hard. It doesn’t take long to get up to operating temp and their test is about 45 minutes. The thermostat is opening I’m sure. I haven’t stuck my head back into the engine compartment yet to see if there is a circulation pump or not.

1 hour ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

I saw a few lake tests last year. They get run pretty hard. It doesn’t take long to get up to operating temp and their test is about 45 minutes. The thermostat is opening I’m sure. I haven’t stuck my head back into the engine compartment yet to see if there is a circulation pump or not.

Then I guess they could Install  heater lines after water test? 

But I will say. Our heater get dang right toasty especially when holding vents under a blanket. 

ahopkins22LSV
26 minutes ago, spikew919 said:

Then I guess they could Install  heater lines after water test? 

But I will say. Our heater get dang right toasty especially when holding vents under a blanket. 

I highly doubt that. There is just a finally prep and cleaning after the water test. Things like decals and other small items are put on but nothing major. I could be wrong though. 

I’ll have to take a look at mine then. It just blows air right now. 

38 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

I highly doubt that. There is just a finally prep and cleaning after the water test. Things like decals and other small items are put on but nothing major. I could be wrong though. 

I’ll have to take a look at mine then. It just blows air right now. 

I also doubt it. Mine has no auxiliary pump, just the water pump.  All I know is when my dealer water tested after an hour it threw alarms and had no coolant in reservoir. They added all they had and then I had to wait a week for delivery as they had to order the indmar antifreeze. And a few others on here had same thing happen. @ConnollyCrew and @wbama387 I believe 

ahopkins22LSV
Just now, spikew919 said:

I also doubt it. Mine has no auxiliary pump, just the water pump.  All I know is when my dealer water tested after an hour it threw alarms and had no coolant in reservoir. They added all they had and then I had to wait a week for delivery as they had to order the indmar antifreeze. And a few others on here had same thing happen. @ConnollyCrew and @wbama387 I believe 

I’m not discrediting that people have had it happen. I just don’t get how it’s happening lol. It also wasn’t that cause of this threads issue as the OP had used the boat for a season, had it winterized then now has the issue so something went wrong at winterization.

2 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

I’m not discrediting that people have had it happen. I just don’t get how it’s happening lol. It also wasn’t that cause of this threads issue as the OP had used the boat for a season, had it winterized then now has the issue so something went wrong at winterization.

You’re right, the OP’s dealer did something wrong during winterization for sure.  

10 hours ago, spikew919 said:

Some have pumps some dont. I thought it was just the bigger boats that got pumps, but Ive seen them in 21s recently. Ive ask our sales guys if its an option and they claim the heater is, but no mention of pumps when ordering. Ive also inquired with Malibu, and the tech support doesnt seem to know the criteria either. I will say that I have not seen a pump in an Axis. 

Its  propylene glycol, dont have to have Indmar. 

Edited by COOP
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, COOP said:

Some have pumps some dont. I thought it was just the bigger boats that got pumps, but Ive seen them in 21s recently. Ive ask our sales guys if its an option and they claim the heater is, but no mention of pumps when ordering. Ive also inquired with Malibu, and the tech support doesnt seem to know the criteria either. I will say that I have not seen a pump in an Axis. 

Its  propylene glycol, dont have to have Indmar. 

Gotcha. It’s odd because you would think the m235 with 2 heater cores would be one that needed an extra pump. And you’re right in coolant, just think my dealer was erring on side of caution using the indmar stuff.