Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

new name, same old crappy service

shadowman17

just putting out to the other malibu boat owners in southeast michigan.  skier's pier has a new name, tommy's detroit.  unfortunately, just as recent as yesterday, the same abysmal service is continuing.  i had them winterize my boat last fall and when i opened the boat to get it started for spring, there was taped to my steering wheel a broken Tshaped hull plug.  that's right, they had broke the plug in two and put both pieces in a bag for me to discover after picking it up this spring.  when i called service, i was given the usual "skier's pier" tepid response with an offered intent to get me out to my home a new replacement plug (after all they broke it and left it unknown to me waiting for the spring).  as per the usual service, they did not do what was offered to make this all better and instead have opted not to return my phone call. 

unfortunately, no one dares in this area to work on malibu boats.  so i'm stuck with these guys as are many of you.

wish they told me this difficult arrangement when they were selling me the boat from the showroom floor, but i guess that is an insignificant small print kinda thing to them.

welcome to the neighborhood tommy's detroit.  you're gonna fit in just fine...  skier's pier fine.

ahopkins22LSV

So a few things, Tommy’s is not just a new name, they are a national dealer with multiple locations across the country and two others in Michigan. They are a fantastic dealer. Yes, Skiers pier had a lot of issues and a lot of issues were known, many were not and are now being uncovered. Tommy’s JUST took over a few months ago. They have a HUGE mountain to climb. I’m not sure who you talked to about the plug but I would encourage you to stop in, see the already obvious changes, talk to their new service manager (Steve) and general manager (Randy). I’m confident they are going to fix this and have one of if not the best malibu dealer in the nation. 

Im sure they will gladly replace the plug, but I can also tell you they are dealing with much larger issues so I know it’s frustrating but like I said, I encourage you to stop in to talk to Steve and Randy to let them explain to you what they are doing and what they have already done. 

Do a quick search on Tommy’s and you will understand why I’m saying what I say. And no, I don’t work for Tommy’s or Skiers pier, never have.

I know nothing about Skiers Pier, but I have nothing but good things to say about Tommy's.  Their service for me has been nothing short of outstanding.  I know the Colorado service manager (Rebecca) is spending the summer in Michigan, but I don't know at which shop.  If she is at the one you mention, go in and speak directly with her.  She will take care of you.

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV
2 minutes ago, RyanB said:

I know nothing about Skiers Pier, but I have nothing but good things to say about Tommy's.  Their service for me has been nothing short of outstanding.  I know the Colorado service manager (Rebecca) is spending the summer in Michigan, but I don't know at which shop.  If she is at the one you mention, go in and speak directly with her.  She will take care of you.

She is at the Detroit (Skiers Pier) location. And agreed. She is great. Steve is also a service manager that was with another Tommy’s location prior to transferring here. 

Spoke with my guy up on walloon last week.  He said they were having all sorts of issues with the take over.  Not knowing who owned boats, missing paper work, you name it it's been a struggle.  Hang in there it will get better. 

• Like 1

I am also hoping things make a very big change. It was very sad to see it go the way it did. I would not have bought A new boat from them for many years now. Ron K. had a reason he wanted to buy the others out before he left and it likely would have made a dramatic change back then. The only thing I could say is I also would give them some time to make the change to Tommy's other then just name. It takes some time to fix something gone so wrong.  Good luck Tommy's I have not heard any bad thing on them! 

• 2 weeks later...

I can backup your claim that Skier's Pier was garbage.  I unfortunately was forced to go there for a few things last year, and I cannot say anything positive about them.  One such example, buying a new heater core for my 02 VLX.  They had a part that was supposed to be new, was way overpriced.  Brought it out, and the fins are all smushed up and he insists that it is always going to be the case since it happens with even gentle handling (I get that, but it was pretty bad and they offered no discount on the part despite its condition).  When asked if I could return it if it didn't fit, the response was a flat out "no," regardless of whether I installed it/used it or not.  This is one example, but I'm pretty sure I have posted a Google review or two detailing other issues here.

Hopefully the acquisition will fix the problems since it would be nice to have a good Malibu dealer nearby.  The one in town by me sells Centurions only :-(

I had a hell of a time getting my boat out of there this spring. They have a long, uphill battle to get a good reputation.

I made an appointment early this spring to grab our boat in an attempt to beat the spring rush. Showed up at the time and date it was scheduled(and left work early) and no one knew anything about it. That was a Monday and didn't get my boat until Saturday. I placed close to 10 phone calls to them that week, was promised 3 times that I'd be called back right away. Had the Service Manager's word that the boat would be done Thursday(come to find out, they didn't find the boat until late Friday). First phone call I received was Saturday that my boat was ready. It wasn't a big deal to have my boat as it was still early, but each time they didn't call me back, I got more pissed and wondered what was wrong with my boat. 

I'm sympathetic to their changes and the rush they have in the spring, but a simple 20 second phonecall to me to let me know if wasn't ready and it would be a few days would've solved all the problems. A phonecall is a very simple solution to a lot of problems. After being repeatedly lied to, I was left to draw my own conclusions as to why my boat wasn't ready. Just hoping they get things sorted out before I have to bring my boat back there again, which won't be for storage.

I would also agree that my experience with Tommys service department is they have been nothing short of awesome. Especially with standing behind their work, so I would give them another shot. If they botch it again then start a fire storm on them. That is super sh!tty on their part with the plug... not like its a require part though ;)

It's going to take them some time to get rid of the ills of Skier's Pier.  I understand there's some good people there now trying to turn it into something good.  They simply need to be sure to find all the hidden skeletons.  There are many.  I also know people that have purchased MC or Nautique simply because they refused to deal with the rash of crap from Skier's Pier.  I wish Tommy's good luck.  Hopefully, in relatively short order, they can pull of the transition and regain the faith of current, past, and future customers.

I also have had great experience with Tommy's in Colorado and SPECIFICALLY with Rebecca.   Our loss is your gain.   Have a conversation with her, I am sure she will take care of you!   Tell her Jeff with the Midnight Blue VLX said hello!

I'll throw in my 0.02. 
I'll start with this, because of ALL my issues with Skiers Pier I have the direct line to Scott (Tommys CFO, I believe) and Matt, the owner himself. 
I got in contact with Scott because Pier refused to accept money. Long story and I won't get into it. Scott had it handled literally in 15 hours, after 2 weeks of battling with Pier personnel. 
If you're dealing with a Pier employee. Walk away, find someone else. End of story. Except for Ron the sales guy. Full disclosure, I've only ever shot the sh*t with him, but even the Tommys guys like him. 

As with a lot of people here. Not one phone call back. EVER, even with some of the Tommys guys. EDIT: Correction, Mike in the pro shop has called back and handles his stuff. 

I'll try to make this as short as possible. I put a deposit on the boat Feb 5th pending a compression check/lake test. That first sales guy disappeared. Gone. Into thin air. Tried to contact him for 2.5 weeks. Even the other sales guys tried. I was then transferred to the "sales manager."
Got my financing arranged which is only ever good for 30 days, Feb 26th-ish. Still asked for the compression check. "OH yeah you've been put in the front of the line." 
Days turned into weeks with nothing and me asking constantly and going in, constantly. 
This was still with a Pier employee. Finally I had to make a decision as my loan pre approval was running out. This being my first time making a boat purchase and coming from a dealer I simply assumed it would be ok. 
So I signed. March 25th. Still no compression numbers. 
Now after 2.5 more weeks of me raising hell almost daily, I get a call from Steve, he's a Tommys guy, as mentioned before and he came out from Colorado to run the service here. 
I have two bad cylinders. Now I'm hot because I probably would have walked away from the deal, but now being mid April at this point, there is no more inventory in the country at my price/year/hour range. 
So this gets me in touch with Matt, again. Matt tells me all the issues they've been having and I am appreciative of that. 
He asks me if I still want the boat. I tell him what I just wrote out, in Feb, no. Now, I kinda have to. He asked if I would accept them fixing it on their dime no matter the issue. Of course.
So this certainly worked out for me in the end. 

There is A LOT of meat on this bone, far more issues, with both Tommys and Pier, but I will say, Matt is the man. When people say they will do WHATEVER it takes to make us, the customer happy, they are not wrong. I will say, and agree, that they should have had to fix the engine regardless, but it was nice to have the owners word and have it come to fruition. 

Again, in the end, if you need anything, I wouldn't talk to a pier employee. Go for a Tommys one and you'll have a better chance at getting it handled. 

Edited by Ryan1776
ahopkins22LSV
53 minutes ago, inlandlaker said:

It's going to take them some time to get rid of the ills of Skier's Pier.  I understand there's some good people there now trying to turn it into something good.  They simply need to be sure to find all the hidden skeletons.  There are many.  I also know people that have purchased MC or Nautique simply because they refused to deal with the rash of crap from Skier's Pier.  I wish Tommy's good luck.  Hopefully, in relatively short order, they can pull of the transition and regain the faith of current, past, and future customers.

No one imagined the skeletons that have been unturned and no one could have been prepared. Trust me on this. The storm they are in is far worse then anyone imagined. There are improvements being made every week as the new general manager and service manager claw a lot bit further. If you were there a month or two ago I’d suggest stopping back imo soon just to see what they have done already. Is it perfect or close? No, and they would say the same thing. But there is progress being made. 

Not sure if everyone saw this but this shows how serious Tommy’s is about fixing everything: http://www.theoaklandpress.com/business/20180328/former-sams-club-in-waterford-leased-to-tommys-boat-shop

They are going to have an amazing service and storage facility there. The correct steps are being taken. 

Edited by ahopkinsTXi
  • Like 3

I, for one, am sad to see skiers pier go.  Nothing like a great SP bashing thread from a disgruntled customer followed by an on cue @ahopkinsTXi defensive post.  I will miss those days.

In all seriousness, I think Tommy's will be able to turn this crap show around, it will just take time.  

• Like 3

:plus1:  Tommy's has a good reputation. It will take some time to turn the ship. It will be something to see the new Tommy's if they do the new location!  Should make one of the most impressive boat shops in this area if not all around. It will be good for lower Mi. to get an up to date quality dealer again.   

• Like 2

This is a major factor I did not previously mentioned in why I am not upgrading until the ship has turned around.. it would absolutely be stunning and they could kill it if they got that facility and actually could put people's boats in doors!!!!!!!!!!  With that large of a facility they could put hundreds of boats inside while they worked on them and not let them go to crap outside and lovely Michigan weather in the fall and spring... And yes winter.. 

I've always told people if somebody in Northern Indiana or lower Michigan made a huge facility possibly like this location and could offer Quick Service turn around and do it actually inside... You might have a mechanic that wants to work there year-round because he's not freezing his butt off.. people would drive from hours and hours around to get service there if they could get in and out quick... A place like that can make a killing when you go to a small dealer and they tell you two to three weeks and your season's only 12 weeks long people will make the hike real quick... Quick turnaround you can basically charge whatever you want if you offered a good service people will pay... And especially if you don't service your boat and then leave it outside to fill up with water or get crapped on by the weather after you charge them for a detail job... 

If they really move into this I will be excited to upgrade soon once I know that my boat can be inside... 

Just for my dealings I can only imagine the Colossal Mountain they have to overcome... I'm going to give it a year or two before I upgrade and revisit the situation right now I just do not have the time to deal with a potential headaches until they have this Beast turned around and it could be a beast if they do it right I only fear that people will get discouraged as it will be a few years process at least... I am very hopeful..

Edited by The Hulk

SE Michigan now has 2 aggressive dealers for the tournament ski / wake / surf crowd + a third where all 3 major / top brands are offered.  Both in the last year have expanded or plan to expand their footprint extensively to offer improved services and the third already offered indoor winter storage.  Not many boaters have the luxury of a sub 1 hour drive to all 3 of the top end tourney manufacturer dealerships or that level of choice in pursuit of their hobby, competition improves the breed.  Hopefully the dealership for the Bu brand will sort everything out and again become a highly desired option.

• Like 1

Something to keep in mind folks.  I'm guessing they could have just found a spot in the area and opened a new shop with the blessing of Malibu.  They didn't need to take on all the old headaches.  They are trying to make sense of what sounds like a pretty messy situation.  They didn't need to take on those headaches.  Sounds like they already had their eye on a different facility, so why take on someone else's?  This is starting to sound like a "No good deed goes unpunished" scenario.  I'm leaning towards commending an organization that is trying to work through a situation where little paperwork exists at a time when the season and urgency from the customer perspective is at an all-time high.  Why don't we all take a deep breath and show a little patience here.  Where's the value in directing anger from the previous situation at the new guys? 

• Like 3

Yup. Been trying to talk to someone there for weeks. Called once and asked for the service department and they said "oh can we take a message?". So i gave them my contact info. No call.

A week or two goes by and still no call, so i call back. Same thing "can we take a message?". Still no call.

Finally, i tried calling their Grand Rapids location to get some information on a possible ECM flash. Their service department actually spoke to me (although he didnt know anything about the ECM update). I asked if he could possibly get me in touch with someone at the Skier's Pier location. He stated that "they have over 700 accounts and 33 new boats sold and only 1 service writer. So it is difficult to get help". 

Hopefully they get it together soon because i gave up on that place.

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, riot138 said:

Just wanted to add that a dealership that was close to me was full up for service and they weren't taking any bookings so I bit the bullet and called Tommy's/Skiers Pier on a Wednesday.  I brought the boat in on a Thursday and it was fixed and ready to be picked up on a Saturday.  I was very happy with the service I received.  Maybe they are turning it around.

They appear to be caught up.  What did you have done? 

Edited by Ryan1776
51 minutes ago, Ryan1776 said:

They appear to be caught up.  What did you have done? 

I was having an issue with what I thought was a knocking noise coming from my v-drive/transmission and I was losing RPMs.  They called me and said that they believe it was an engine issue.  They tested the fuel pressure and it apparently was not good.  They changed out the cap, rotor and fuel filter and lake tested it.  They said it was fixed,  I thought this was weird becuase I was hearing a knocking noise and I had changed all those parts out a month earlier.  I told them that and they told me the parts they put in were "better".  They also told me my platform bracket welds were broken on one side which I think was where the knocking was coming from.  I also gassed up at an old marina with what looked like a 1970s pump so I am thinking I may have gotten bad fuel or I put in the wrong fuel filter or the parts I ordered were incorrect even though they were indmar oem parts.  Still not 100% but I have used it 3 times and it seems to be running good.  Oh and they changed my shaft packing as well.

Edited by riot138

Wow... there seems to be a lot going on with the SP acquisition, Matt (a sales guy in GR) told me it was rough, but this post sheds some additional light. I waited for 3 weeks to get service records from the boat I bought from GR, and I can now see why. So far Tommy's GR as been awesome. I am still waiting to write up a glowing post about the experience until they pull all of their commitments across the line, which I don't have any reason to think they will not.

It is unfortunate that the typical commentary on service for pretty much any industry is not great, and that we are excited when someone actually does what they say they are going to do...