Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New 24 MXZ Price

JPPilla

I think when you are talking wake board volumes (~4-5k boats per year), you have to establish territories or one dealer will take the volume at a lower margin.  If you are only going to move a few units, dealers need to make enough to stay in business. 

"its a business, it ain't UNISEF, okay" ... Joe Dirt

Edited by pauley71
  • Like 3
5 minutes ago, pauley71 said:

I think when you are talking wake board volumes (~4-5k boats per year), you have to establish territories or one dealer will take the volume at a lower margin.  If you are only going to move a few units, dealers need to make enough to stay in business. 

That’s the best explanation I’ve heard on the subject and it makes sense. In the end, having a viable Malibu dealer in every region benefits US the users of the product!

edit: we ran into this 15 years ago when we bought a piano. Yamaha has territory restrictions with its dealers also. 

Edited by IXFE
  • Like 3
4 hours ago, Chappy said:

I am not a millenial and I am on the side that there should be more consistency and transparency with pricing.  Does that mean everyone get the same price? No, but more information can help everyone so that is why I have no problem sharing the info on my sale, I ended up getting a 31% discount off of MSRP and I feel like I got a good deal. 

I have a dealership (Dealer X) 30 minutes from my house. I live in area where a lot of people have more money than brains so this dealership caters to the big money Cobalt and yacht crowd that lives on the lake.  They have big fancy showrooms on the water and hold pretty firm on price.  I have a second dealer  (Dealer Y) about 3 hours away (near our summer vacation home) and their price was about $8500 less.  Could I afford the price from Dealer X? Yes, but that delta was too big. If it had been about $2500 or less I may have stay local. I shopped for 9 months and gave Dealer X every opportunity to work with me and told them I was shopping around and they wouldn't budge.  BTW- Dealer X sells way more Bu's than Dealer Y so this wasn't a volume issue.  Side Note- For all of you free market capitalists (which I am) you should also be opposed to the archaic policy of protected territories for boat dealers!

Fast forward several months and I am getting my boat serviced at Dealer X, which they have not had an issue with, and I get a call from Sales asking where I got my boat and for what price?  Of course they reply after the fact that "we could have matched that price".   In reality if I provided them the name of Dealer Y and price they probably would have tried to block me from going there. I told them, I gave you three chances to provide a better price so in this instance you tried to play hard ball and lost.  Unfortunately not everyone has the option of more than one dealer to work with.

Funny you mention that i had the exact same experience: Two identically equipped boats one was 10k less after several rounds back and forth. After the fact they said they could have matched. I simply replied when i asked what is the last-"last" price now your saying you didn't give it to me? and Later i find they dumped it for even less than what i paid...haha.... I don't blame them , every dealer is trying to get AS MUCH as possible, that is capitalism. 

I also agree about the protected areas being ....ehhh... I get both sides of it so it is what it is... Not like a car dealership with one on every corner in every city for every brand. 

3 hours ago, pauley71 said:

Surprisingly, it was the smaller lower volume dealer that had the better price in my scenario.

16 minutes ago, IXFE said:

I was joking. Hiding the name of the dealers isn’t exactly “sharing the info on my sale.”

Not entirely so... anyone in the same general part of country as Chappy knows exactly who these two dealers are.  No reason to call them out by name to someone 1000 miles away.  Both dealers are good dealers, they just have VERY different business models.

Personally I think the way Malibu does pricing a joke and I really don't like the lack of transparency... but apparently it is working for them all up and I guess that is all that counts, but I really feel like many people who might be able to afford a Malibu hear the MSRP and are turned off by the eye watering number and they lose that customer.

Just now, gregtay said:

Not entirely so... anyone in the same general part of country as Chappy knows exactly who these two dealers are.  No reason to call them out by name to someone 1000 miles away.  Both dealers are good dealers, they just have VERY different business models.

Personally I think the way Malibu does pricing a joke and I really don't like the lack of transparency... but apparently it is working for them all up and I guess that is all that counts, but I really feel like many people who might be able to afford a Malibu hear the MSRP and are turned off by the eye watering number and they lose that customer.

Is Nautique any different?  From the discounts I hear people getting I assume the MSRP inflation is the same. My guess is MC does likewise. 

55 minutes ago, gregtay said:

Still missing the point...

Making people guess isn’t transparency, which I’m fine with. Just stop the pretending. 

And I lived in the PNW for 13 years so I’m following along just fine. Again, not the point.

I’m NOT transparent when it comes to pricing and make no apologies for it

11 hours ago, IXFE said:

I’m NOT transparent when it comes to pricing and make no apologies for it

Nor should you apologize for it.  Your points and experiences are more than valid.  It's nice to have the truth in your presentation of facts.  I rather enjoy that, as well as the occasional rub.  

17 hours ago, IXFE said:

I was joking. Hiding the name of the dealers isn’t exactly “sharing the info on my sale.”

Gotcha, missed that;)  Didn't want to put them completely on blast but if anyone in my area wants to dm me I will share additional details.

16 hours ago, IXFE said:

Is Nautique any different?  From the discounts I hear people getting I assume the MSRP inflation is the same. My guess is MC does likewise. 

I would assume not, I see it as industry wide issue not Malibu specific.

Great thread.  Love some of the humor.  

Here in the greater Charlotte area, there are three or four different BU dealers inside 250 miles.  Maybe more - but you get the drift.  I have called about a few '18's outside the home dealer and they basically have said they CAN'T sell them to me.  Interesting that you guys not only get traction going outside the home dealer - but also have bought!  What this does when they push me to one dealer is it opens the search up to other brands.  I have no way to gather data (quotes) than to baseline other brands to determine value.

To add context, the local dealer is good - and is who we bought the VLX from.  

33 minutes ago, Five Cent Worth said:

Great thread.  Love some of the humor.  

Here in the greater Charlotte area, there are three or four different BU dealers inside 250 miles.  Maybe more - but you get the drift.  I have called about a few '18's outside the home dealer and they basically have said they CAN'T sell them to me.  Interesting that you guys not only get traction going outside the home dealer - but also have bought!  What this does when they push me to one dealer is it opens the search up to other brands.  I have no way to gather data (quotes) than to baseline other brands to determine value.

To add context, the local dealer is good - and is who we bought the VLX from.  

Exactly on the "push you to other brands"... We are taking a good hard look at a Supra as we love the dealer and know they will treat us right (with price and service) and for the money the Supra does actually offer more.   If the dealer that sells Supra sold Malibu we would have bought one and never given the Supra a thought.

12 minutes ago, gregtay said:

Exactly on the "push you to other brands"... We are taking a good hard look at a Supra as we love the dealer and know they will treat us right (with price and service) and for the money the Supra does actually offer more.   If the dealer that sells Supra sold Malibu we would have bought one and never given the Supra a thought.

Same here.  There are two MC dealers in CLT and my buddy bought a boat from one.  Super great service and experience and they are aggressive on price.  We are looking hard at an XT22 and XT23 even though we know the wave isn't as good as our first choice which is a '19 MXZ.