Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New 24 MXZ Price

JPPilla

Same experience here as @wedge88.

I was pricing a 2019 24 MXZ in the fall and that "Boat Total" for a 2019 is $139,917, before options and dealer add-ons. Back off 4% or so to get to what that number should be for 2018. Add some normal options for $45-55K (MSRP) and that $180K MSRP sounds to be in the ballpark.

28 minutes ago, wedge88 said:

Every boat we have ever purchased from our dealer has come with a build sheet like I attached.  It is listed on their website with every new boat.  It states MSRP which is the number most people work off of for discounts.  Now for sales floor and boat shows they may have a list price but MSRP is always a standard figure.  The attachments are a 2018 22MXZ so the number you are working off is the $180K and as others have said, you are looking at almost 30% off which is a solid deal.  Depending on colors and options you may be able to work a slightly better deal, especially if they a 19' on the lot but I wouldn't get caught up in list price as that isn't a constant.

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Good example of a Malibu produced build sheet and corresponding MSRP. This is a consistent (albeit inflated) bar set by Malibu each year for each model and all available options. Any dealer can print this sheet on any boat (real or configured). And yes, what you see above is the MSRP most of us are usually referring to as a reference point to gauge one deal vs. the next deal. However, even with a Malibu build sheet, there is potential for confusion; notice the line item for “Dealer Add-ons” is blank. This is where most dealers will add freight, prep, and other minor items like batteries, PnP bags, etc (if not already included in their prep fee). 

Freight is interesting. It is a real cost that the dealer pays to Malibu but not included on the build sheet (like is the case for an automobile).

Prep, on the other hand, is not something Malibu charges the dealer for. The dealer gets to choose to charge you whatever they feel they need to in order to cover their costs (and profit) in getting that boat ready for you to take delivery. 

So if you add $5k for freight and prep into that build sheet, is the MSRP now $168,382...?  One guy could pay $122,536 for that boat while another pays $126,287 for the exact same boat and EACH could claim he got 25% off.  :Frustrated:

As for other prices referenced (eg list price, boat show price, etc), that’s all just made up. Some  dealers choose not to print the Malibu build sheet or talk about MSRP. Instead they use other software programs to generate a different (usually lower, more realistic) price sheet.  This is fine for the guy who is gonna buy a boat and never think about the price again.  But when many guys from different dealers all come together on the internet to discuss pricing, confusion reins!  

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, IXFE said:

As for other prices referenced (eg list price, boat show price, etc), that’s all just made up. Some  dealers choose not to print the Malibu build sheet or talk about MSRP. Instead they use other software programs to generate a different (usually lower, more realistic) price sheet.  This is fine for the guy who is gonna buy a boat and never think about the price again.  But when many guys from different dealers all come together on the internet to discuss pricing, confusion reins!  

This is the reason I added the attachments.  @Studberg asked where a dealer comes up with MSRP but the number isn't generated from the dealer.  I was simply trying to show that MSRP is the number he should be using for comparison sake (not list price or other "made up number") as well as inform him that he should be able to get a build sheet on any Malibu or Axis boat he looks at from a dealer.  

The whole "internet pricing" is the reason I never discuss percentages off of MSRP as their are too many other factors.  A simple google search on Malibu boat pricing will take any potential buyer to numerous TMC threads that all state basically the same thing; MSRP minus: 20% = decent deal; 25% good deal; 30%  great deal; 30%+ = desperate dealer, year end closeout, buyer/dealer relationship.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Txstoj said:

Someone earlier mentioned "why don't people just post what they paid?"  -   Because I don't want someone else to know what I paid because not everyone gets the same deal (based on the relationship with the dealer).   Someone out there needs to pay higher prices in order for me to get the deal I want.  I know that there are others who probably got a better deal than what I did but based on my relationship with the dealer, I feel like I got a good deal.

Isnt this a bit selfish? Doesnt everyone deserve a great deal? :biggrin:

But its the same with cars, no one wants to tell you what they paid. Its kinda like no one in an office will discuss how much they make. Its taboo. 

As far a freight, it will be higher the further from the factory you get, so west coast guys will pay more then someone who lives in Florida. You also have to figure in trades, just like cars, dealers will bury some cost in a trade to make the deal look better. 

But having an actual REAL MSRP would be helpful. You could then look at the variables pre and post delivery.

42 minutes ago, COOP said:

But its the same with cars, no one wants to tell you what they paid. Its kinda like no one in an office will discuss how much they make. Its taboo. 

As far a freight, it will be higher the further from the factory you get, so west coast guys will pay more then someone who lives in Florida. You also have to figure in trades, just like cars, dealers will bury some cost in a trade to make the deal look better. 

But having an actual REAL MSRP would be helpful. You could then look at the variables pre and post delivery.

Correct on freight being variable. Except with the 21 VLX where it is fixed (or used to be anyway). 

1 hour ago, COOP said:

No. People deserve exactly the deal they earn. 

If you want great deals for everyone, go to Walmart. Unfortunately they don’t carry Malibus.

08466908-E86F-459E-94CF-BF04E7708FEC.gif

• Like 4
14 hours ago, IXFE said:

Correct on freight being variable. Except with the 21 VLX where it is fixed (or used to be anyway). 

Not all dealers charge what Malibu charges them either. There is that variable as well. For instance, IIRC, our old dealer charged $2k in freight ($1500 prep). The new one charges $4500.00 (Plus $2,250 prep!).

The freight companies that deliver up here charge $1365.00/boat, provided it’s 25’ Or less (23’ or less on I/O’s). $1700 for 25-30’. They have a flat rate to this area from Bu, MC, SC.

49 minutes ago, TenTwentyOne said:

Not all dealers charge what Malibu charges them either. There is that variable as well. For instance, IIRC, our old dealer charged $2k in freight ($1500 prep). The new one charges $4500.00 (Plus $2,250 prep!).

The freight companies that deliver up here charge $1365.00/boat, provided it’s 25’ Or less (23’ or less on I/O’s). $1700 for 25-30’. They have a flat rate to this area from Bu, MC, SC.

Oh for sure!  Other than the fact that it's not listed on even the official build sheet, freight behaves like an other option.  There's what Malibu charges the dealer and what the dealer charges Joe Public.  Those two numbers are never going to be the same.

18 hours ago, IXFE said:

No. People deserve exactly the deal they earn. 

If you want great deals for everyone, go to Walmart. Unfortunately they don’t carry Malibus.

08466908-E86F-459E-94CF-BF04E7708FEC.gif

Perhaps "earn" is not the right word. A family that worked their a** off for 20 years to buy a boat, saving, sacrificing, to put a good down payment so the loan payment is what they can afford surely has "earned" a great deal just as much as the Doctor who just writes a check? Or perhaps to "earn" the best price one must be able to afford to upgrade every year? Or does the stubborn a** who drives the dealer crazy price shopping "earn" a better deal than a nice shy couple who arent good at negotiating?

5 hours ago, IXFE said:

Oh for sure!  Other than the fact that it's not listed on even the official build sheet, freight behaves like an other option.  There's what Malibu charges the dealer and what the dealer charges Joe Public.  Those two numbers are never going to be the same.

Our rate I believe is $1500. Thats on a truck. I think its cheaper if they have a driver tow one to us.

31 minutes ago, COOP said:

Perhaps "earn" is not the right word. A family that worked their a** off for 20 years to buy a boat, saving, sacrificing, to put a good down payment so the loan payment is what they can afford surely has "earned" a great deal just as much as the Doctor who just writes a check? Or perhaps to "earn" the best price one must be able to afford to upgrade every year? Or does the stubborn a** who drives the dealer crazy price shopping "earn" a better deal than a nice shy couple who arent good at negotiating?

I think we are talking about earining from different perspectives.  Has that family done  what they think they need to do to acquire a boat, sure.  I think the "earn" we are talking about is earning a better deal with each individuals prior interactions with the dealer.  Let's face it, they guy that buys a new boat every year is going to get a better deal than the guy that buys a new boat every 10 years.  Can the 10 year guy do things to earn the better deal next time he buys? Sure, use the dealer for service, recommend the dealer to others, be flexible with your dealer around when you need delivery or service.  All those thing can earn you a better deal.  

39 minutes ago, COOP said:

I chose the word “earn” very carefully in response to your use of the word “deserve.”

There are certain things in life we all “deserve.” Many are listed in the Declaration of Independance.  A “great deal” on a surf boat is not one of them. 

The good news is there are MANY different paths to “earn” that great deal, none of which involve your profession or decision to pay cash vs finance (it’s all cash to the dealer).  

EDIT: shy people get good deals too! 

Edited by IXFE
  • Like 2
29 minutes ago, COOP said:

I think the reference was more to "earn" as in researching, negotiating and being diligent.  Not so much in how you make your coin.  Certainly see your point, though.  

8 hours ago, COOP said:

You sound like a millenial. Want a trophy with your boat deal too?  Disgusting 

• Like 3

@bamaboy, give the guy a break. He just has more evolved vision of a human being’s basic rights. 

“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed, by their Creator, with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, the pursuit of Happiness, and above all... bro deals on sick wake boats!”

:usa:

EF5C6BA3-A500-4C3C-9DF5-8568021FF3B7.gif

• Like 3

Save $30k compared to another dealer? Surely there is no Malibu boat with that price Delta amongst dealers unless you're referring to US vs Canada? yes I have called dealers as well and they immediately spit off the list price.. and sometimes dealers have already worked the numbers on a boat already for someone else so when you call them they give you a closer to real price.. so I can see how that could be a large Delta there but if you actually seriously inquire then you'll get closer to real price.. this is a little frustrating at times but it's part of the game.. if you have no history with a dealer they may just be throwing a price at you because they don't think you're serious buyer especially if they don't know you.. yet... The guy that buys a boat every year the dealer knows them well and knows he knows the difference between what he's paying and what the sticker price is.. soo they get straight down to business..

I've talked to dealers around here and 90 + percent of the people inquiring about these boats can't afford them.. so if you're a dealer and day in and day out 9 out of 10 guys that walk through the door have no chance of buying a boat why waste time figuring numbers until you have a serious buyer.. 

This has nothing to do about being able to afford the boat it's just looking at it from a dealer's perspective on why they don't always get down two numbers especially if they don't know you..

Also an important overlooked factor is that some dealers hold true to "trying" not to sell out of market, while some don't care... This can go both ways obviously.. he asked you where you're from you're not from around there he blows you off with a high price.. 

another small factor is that the top few dealers that push the most boat get a couple percent discount whether they pass that along to you or not is another story but they can sell cheaper than the small dealer... If they want to.. a few thousand dollars difference is not worth the service headaches and being put at the back of the line however at your local dealer who could care less about you you're dead to them at that point.. 

Edited by The Hulk
12 hours ago, bamaboy said:

Lol! This made me laugh! 

No, not a millenial, not by a long shot. But I do find it interesting how secretive what people actually paid for a boat is. 

• Like 2
12 hours ago, The Hulk said:

've talked to dealers around here and 90 + percent of the people inquiring about these boats can't afford them.. so if you're a dealer and day in and day out 9 out of 10 guys that walk through the door have no chance of buying a boat why waste time figuring numbers until you have a serious buyer.. 

Not being able to afford. And not wanting to pay is two different things. When I received MSRP on my boat,  I did not respond because I assumed what my percentage off would be. When the dealer called and made me an offer I realized I would take the plunge. What I assumed as a percentage off. was out of MY BUDGET. The deal he offered was well within my budget. Dealers may be losing sells by not being open up front. This is my first boat from said dealer. Only my second boat in ten years. And I bought out of territory. 

13 hours ago, IXFE said:

@bamaboy, give the guy a break. He just has more evolved vision of a human being’s basic rights. 

“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed, by their Creator, with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, the pursuit of Happiness, and above all... bro deals on sick wake boats!”

:usa:

EF5C6BA3-A500-4C3C-9DF5-8568021FF3B7.gif

I nearly spit my water out on this one!!  Classic!!

11 minutes ago, Chappy said:

Side Note- For all of you free market capitalists (which I am) you should also be opposed to the archaic policy of protected territories for boat dealers!

I have mixed emotions on this.   While I agree that there shouldn't be territories from commodity purchases, I think the wakeboat market is different.  I'm not entirely offended by any of that, either.  Here in MI, we have (3) Nautique dealers, (3) Malibu dealers, and (2) MC dealers, IIRC.  That said, one of the Malibu dealers has (3) locations in the state and one of the MC dealers has (2).  While we're pretty well covered, the pricing is different between them.  The higher volume dealers offer better deals than the small ones and some of the individual locations of the same dealer charge more than others based on their locality to more affluent communities.  In a free market, capitalist environment, I don't see a problem with this.   

ahopkins22LSV
26 minutes ago, inlandlaker said:

I nearly spit my water out on this one!!  Classic!!

I have mixed emotions on this.   While I agree that there shouldn't be territories from commodity purchases, I think the wakeboat market is different.  I'm not entirely offended by any of that, either.  Here in MI, we have (3) Nautique dealers, (3) Malibu dealers, and (2) MC dealers, IIRC.  That said, one of the Malibu dealers has (3) locations in the state and one of the MC dealers has (2).  While we're pretty well covered, the pricing is different between them.  The higher volume dealers offer better deals than the small ones and some of the individual locations of the same dealer charge more than others based on their locality to more affluent communities.  In a free market, capitalist environment, I don't see a problem with this.   

We are lucky to have that to be honest. Also have a good MB dealer. Oh and the MC dealer has three locations as well! Kinda nuts when you think about it. Very easy to buy a wake boat in Michigan. 

On 2/13/2019 at 7:33 PM, bamaboy said:

HA, YEAH! You sure told him!  

Edited by Pra4sno