Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New 24 MXZ Price

JPPilla

Do other dealers refuse to sell outside of their market? I did not know it was restricted like that.

I only shopped two of the 4 dealers in my area and one was 10% better than the other.

Being that I work in the car business I was satisfied with the price. I would assume there has to be a 40% margin in the boats +/- any incentives, closeout, demo or etc money. If they gave me roughly 32% i would imagine they still made 7-9k profit... or at least I would be unclear how they are in business with expenses in this area.

Maybe I am off topic and should drop it... lol

2 hours ago, MalibuMatty said:

Do other dealers refuse to sell outside of their market? I did not know it was restricted like that.

I only shopped two of the 4 dealers in my area and one was 10% better than the other.

Depends on the situation. I would say that most people do not have 4 Malibu dealers within an hour (60 miles) to choose from. In my case, the local dealer is 10 minutes from my house. Next two closest dealers are 3-4 hours away (one way). If you buy out of territory, good luck being anywhere near the front of the line for any warranty or service issues. 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, MalibuMatty said:

My local dealer is super aggressive if you want a introduction. 

Where you located?

I got two build sheets on 24 MXZ 2018 they have coming in, both around 183,000....so somewhere in the ball park on 130000 would be a good price I take it. they also have a demo 2017 24 MXZ not sure of the build sheet pricing or what they are asking for but whats a good suggestion on that?

Guess it really depends on your area since around here you won’t get that 2018 for ~$130, and it will be gone by the next weekend when you go back with a higher offer.

If some guys are able to walk in and get 30% off, particularly this time of year then good for them, but that’s not going to be the average buyers experience.

Edited by NWBU
  • Like 2
9 hours ago, IXFE said:

It's nothing like cars, buddy.  With cars you can cross show dealers and you are armed with a consistent msrp and invoice is known.  With boats neither is true.  You can buy from ONE dealer and ONE dealer only, and you have no information.  It's more like buying jewelry.  

I'll be honest, that is one thing I find a little shady with Malibu and their dealers, and I have definitely seen examples with inflated MSRPs at certain dealers. This is also a huge thing with pontoons it seems.

But your points on buying boats vs cars don't really apply to any wakeboat brand, except Malibu. Why must they be so secretive with pricing, and why must the dealers take advantage of that? I was even told (not sure if true, because it only came from a Bu service guy), that a dealer can modify MSRPs in portal, to change pricing for a build quote.

Other brands clearly provide standard nationwide pricing info for all models and options. Most of which do so right on their website. The ones that don't give the info online, have standard price sheets to hand out to any interested customer, or their DAB program shows the pricing.

On top of that, several brands have loosened up substantially on territory regs, especially on stock inventory. They allow sales out of area if a stock boat has been in inventory a while, and anything that is not current model year is free game. For instance, in a month and a half, you can buy a 2018 MC or SC product at any dealer you want. MC applied that rule last year, and I think SC did it in 2016.

So....... shopping some of the other brands is more like buying a car. You have standard pricing that is the same at all dealers, and some ability to shop around. Sure, its not exactly the same, and you don't have as much shopping flexibility on the latest model year stuff, but you do have more flexibility.

Even so, my biggest issue is with the price secrecy. I know that's the old school way of selling boats, and everyone was doing that eons ago....... But I think Malibu should get with the times, and provide accurate standard pricing for its consumers. Just my humble opinion......

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, TenTwentyOne said:

I'll be honest, that is one thing I find a little shady with Malibu and their dealers, and I have definitely seen examples with inflated MSRPs at certain dealers. This is also a huge thing with pontoons it seems.

But your points on buying boats vs cars don't really apply to any wakeboat brand, except Malibu. Why must they be so secretive with pricing, and why must the dealers take advantage of that? I was even told (not sure if true, because it only came from a Bu service guy), that a dealer can modify MSRPs in portal, to change pricing for a build quote.

Other brands clearly provide standard nationwide pricing info for all models and options. Most of which do so right on their website. The ones that don't give the info online, have standard price sheets to hand out to any interested customer, or their DAB program shows the pricing.

On top of that, several brands have loosened up substantially on territory regs, especially on stock inventory. They allow sales out of area if a stock boat has been in inventory a while, and anything that is not current model year is free game. For instance, in a month and a half, you can buy a 2018 MC or SC product at any dealer you want. MC applied that rule last year, and I think SC did it in 2016.

So....... shopping some of the other brands is more like buying a car. You have standard pricing that is the same at all dealers, and some ability to shop around. Sure, its not exactly the same, and you don't have as much shopping flexibility on the latest model year stuff, but you do have more flexibility.

Even so, my biggest issue is with the price secrecy. I know that's the old school way of selling boats, and everyone was doing that eons ago....... But I think Malibu should get with the times, and provide accurate standard pricing for its consumers. Just my humble opinion......

I think you're turning up the contrast way too much... A few points to clarify:

1) Malibu does provide nationwide pricing and most dealers provide just that.  They just don't post it on the website (I agree that they should).  The instances I've seen where a dealer is doing something different it has always been lower than Malibu's MSRP (e.g. already reflecting 20% off across the board to reflect a more realistic starting point).  I personally have never seen a dealer inflate Malibu's MSRP.  Aren't they inflated enough?  Honestly that would be a stupid business decision.  As a business, why would you want your boat to look LESS competitive than the guy selling down the street?  So I shouldn't have characterized this behavior as "changing MSRP."  What they're doing is creating their own price sheet that's more realistic.  Or sometimes they're packaging certain things together and representing it as a bundled option.  Believe it or not, most people are not like us who want to sit down and go through every single check box in Malibu's order portal.  Dealers have the flexibility to simplify the order process a little bit and make the pricing reflect that. Another example is freight and prep... I've seen that baked into the base price.  I've seen it listed separately.  It's not my favorite practice, but I'm not like most buyers and I uunderstand why a dealer might want to take some control for how the product is presented and sold.  

2) Malibu is no different on the territory thing than what you mentioned.  If a Malibu is a leftover or demo, it is fair game.   Same as the other brands.  That's not new either, it's been that way as long as I can remember.  The consequences of buying out of region are the same across the board too... in other words, it varies by dealer.  The practice of punishing the out of territory guy exists across all brands.  

How can you say that shopping for other brands is like shopping for cars?  Are their a dozen MC dealers in your area?  Do they compete against eachother?  Are you free to order/buy a current model MC from out of state?  Can you google the invoice price of an X-Star and all it's options in 30 seconds and find a dozen sources that all tie to the same number?  Will the MC dealer actually show you the printed factory invoice?  It's not like cars, nor should it be.  The volume inequities drive a completely different dynamic.  Cars are a high volume, low margin business model.  Boats are a low volume, high margin business model.  Saying that buying a boat is like buying a car is just silly.  Is buying a diamond necklace like buying a car too?  What about a Yamaha piano?  Is that also like buying a car?  Listen, I used to be one of those guys who thought it should be. I even wish it was!  But wishing it was does not make it so.  Sometimes it's just okay to acknowledge reality and adjust your expectations accordingly. 

And stop pretending like pricing is crystal clear and transparent with the other brands.  I've been to boat shows all over this country.  I've shopped and gotten quotes from all the other brands in lots of different cities.  It varies dealer by dealer who's showing pricing to the customer.  Even the MC and Nautique dealers get to decide how transparent they are with pricing.  Sticker prices are not neatly printed and posted on every boat in the showroom like with cars, for any of the brands.  It's all up the dealers.  In other words, the other brands have flexibility too and they absolutely play the game.  

Anyway, we are way off topic.  My point from the beginning was simply that comparing % off deals from one dealer to the next can give you inconsistent results.  That is all... 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, IXFE said:

I think you're turning up the contrast way too much... A few points to clarify:

1) Malibu does provide nationwide pricing and most dealers provide just that.  They just don't post it on the website (I agree that they should).  The instances I've seen where a dealer is doing something different it has always been lower than Malibu's MSRP (e.g. already reflecting 20% off across the board to reflect a more realistic starting point).  I personally have never seen a dealer inflate Malibu's MSRP.  Aren't they inflated enough?  Honestly that would be a stupid business decision.  As a business, why would you want your boat to look LESS competitive than the guy selling down the street?  So I shouldn't have characterized this behavior as "changing MSRP."  What they're doing is creating their own price sheet that's more realistic.  Or sometimes they're packaging certain things together and representing it as a bundled option.  Believe it or not, most people are not like us who want to sit down and go through every single check box in Malibu's order portal.  Dealers have the flexibility to simplify the order process a little bit and make the pricing reflect that. Another example is freight and prep... I've seen that baked into the base price.  I've seen it listed separately.  It's not my favorite practice, but I'm not like most buyers and I uunderstand why a dealer might want to take some control for how the product is presented and sold.  

2) Malibu is no different on the territory thing than what you mentioned.  If a Malibu is a leftover or demo, it is fair game.   Same as the other brands.  That's not new either, it's been that way as long as I can remember.  The consequences of buying out of region are the same across the board too... in other words, it varies by dealer.  The practice of punishing the out of territory guy exists across all brands.  

How can you say that shopping for other brands is like shopping for cars?  Are their a dozen MC dealers in your area?  Do they compete against eachother?  Are you free to order/buy a current model MC from out of state?  Can you google the invoice price of an X-Star and all it's options in 30 seconds and find a dozen sources that all tie to the same number?  Will the MC dealer actually show you the printed factory invoice?  It's not like cars, nor should it be.  The volume inequities drive a completely different dynamic.  Cars are a high volume, low margin business model.  Boats are a low volume, high margin business model.  Saying that buying a boat is like buying a car is just silly.  Is buying a diamond necklace like buying a car too?  What about a Yamaha piano?  Is that also like buying a car?  Listen, I used to be one of those guys who thought it should be. I even wish it was!  But wishing it was does not make it so.  Sometimes it's just okay to acknowledge reality and adjust your expectations accordingly. 

And stop pretending like pricing is crystal clear and transparent with the other brands.  I've been to boat shows all over this country.  I've shopped and gotten quotes from all the other brands in lots of different cities.  It varies dealer by dealer who's showing pricing to the customer.  Even the MC and Nautique dealers get to decide how transparent they are with pricing.  Sticker prices are not neatly printed and posted on every boat in the showroom like with cars, for any of the brands.  It's all up the dealers.  In other words, the other brands have flexibility too and they absolutely play the game.  

Anyway, we are way off topic.  My point from the beginning was simply that comparing % off deals from one dealer to the next can give you inconsistent results.  That is all... 

1) I didn't know they did. when I was a customer, I was never able to just get a price sheet. Id go down the list with the dealer, and he would type away and then spit out a sheet for me. At the time, I had three different dealers that were all almost exactly the same distance from me. NONE of them would provide me with standard pricing info. Only a completed build sheet with a price......even as late as some pricing I got in 2015 for an LSV. Maybe this has changed since then. Not to mention, MSRPs did not match with those dealers, except on the options. When you put together a spec, you don't have any interest in seeing option values as you add them??

Why would a dealer only lower the MSRP?? Just to show a smaller discount?? That makes no sense either. All I know, is that all the quotes I got were different by as much as 10k on the base price of the boat. Maybe you are right. Maybe some lower the price for some unknown reason, and then show a smaller discount. But it seems to me that it would make more sense for them to inflate the price, show a much larger discount, and lead the customer to believe that they are getting a more expensive boat than the competition, but at a cheaper price because the dealer is so awesome, and gave me the bro discount of a lifetime. Meanwhile, he has absolutely no way to easily verify the pricing info.....

2) Gotcha, I didn't know they allowed that as well. I was told otherwise, but that only came from a dealer owner themself......... So, does Malibu not allow dealers to refuse service for out of area boats? Does Malibu not require the out of area dealer to kick anything back to the area dealer? I seem to remember these being normal practices, and I know Nautique still carries this practice. MC and SC, however, require dealers to service ANY boat that is brought in for warranty work, and they are supposed to do so in a FIFO basis. This was a contract requirement with MC when they changed to their factory backed warranty. Dealers cant refuse or delay service on an out of area unit, as long as it is covered under MasterCare.

I'm turning up the contrast too much?? I said "shopping other brands is more like buying a car" (Meaning more than Bu was, in my experience), not "Exactly like buying a car". And yes, based on actual invoices for MC's and seedealercost.com  info, yes, I can easily get invoice info on MC boats. I was curious and checked that in the past, and it was dead on exact to the dollar on the invoice amount of my XStar this year as well. I can also get all of the MSRP info in 30 seconds, and it is all publically displayed for every model and option, and that info also matches the seedealercost.com MSRP info to the exact dollar. I highly doubt seedealercost.com is correct for all brands and options. They weren't on my G's, but they are dead on with MC for some reason. I do stock ordering for MCs now, so I have that info......but my dealer doesn't bother hiding it anymore either, because they just have customers come in with the printout anyway........

So, while I understand your point that there are differences, I still feel that some of the Manufacturers and dealers have become more transparent in recent years, and have started to make the experience MORE LIKE buying a car than it used to be.

And while you say MC and Nautique dealers get to decide how transparent they are with pricing.....the MSRP pricing info is just a click away with MC and SC, and Nautique dealers just send out an Excel worksheet that covers pricing for every model and option.

All I was saying, was, why can't Bu be more transparent as well?

8 minutes ago, TenTwentyOne said:

All I was saying, was, why can't Bu be more transparent as well?

And all I'm saying is... it depends on the dealer, regardless of brand.  I literally shopped every brand this year, as a serious buyer, during the week when the showrooms were empty, spent hours with various dealers.  My experience was not like you say.  Everybody needs to remember, these dealers are all independent businesses with different practices, habits, and strategies. 

I do agree that invoice transparency is probably inevitable.  I didn't realize it was so accurate for MC.  And your dealer showing you the invoice is amazing... literally never heard of that in this industry.  That's either because they are really progressive or because you're TenTwentyOne (i.e. not Joe Public).  I suspect it's the latter. 

• Like 1

@TenTwentyOne, the more I think about it, the more I feel like we're in violent agreement.  We both wish the industry was different.  The difference is...

• Some people argue from the perspective "this is how it SHOULD be or how I WISH it was."
  • Other people argue from the perspective "this is how things ARE today, and IT IS WHAT IT IS."  

Both people might have the same wishes, but the second guy acknowledges that's not reality and it's better to just align to reality.   I'm that guy.  I stopped wishing for the industry to be something it's not a long time ago.  I can't change it. What makes me think I can change the inboard industry?  I can't even get my kids to put down their smart phones.  If I was going to tackle a huge cause bigger than myself, I'd probably try to get Coke to bring back Diet Coke with Lime. Jussayin...

• Like 2

The flip side of this @TenTwentyOne... 

Here's what I really like about the inboard industry and the pricing practices.  It's not easy!  I like hard.  I like challenging.  I like the game.  It's a microcosm of the real world.  Sure, everybody wants perfect information and fairness for all.  But that's not the real world we live in.  It's naive to think otherwise.  Somehow despite the inefficiencies we're posting about, smart guys like you and me (and dozens of others on this forum) keep coming back for more.  Why is that??  It's because we've all learned, over MANY YEARS, how to navigate this crazy ecosystem in our own ways.  And if we're honest with ourselves, we enjoy the game and our ability to play it.  Here's the good news for the new guys... you're all free to play this game and learn the unspoken rules that govern it.  I'll give y'all just a little hint... it's alot like the secret to success in other parts of  life...

The real world runs on relationships.  The older I get the more true this becomes. The real world rewards people who can tolerate ambiguity and achieve results despite the inequities.  Build relationships in this industry and you'll be amazed and what happens.  Get involved at your dealer and you'll be amazed at what happens.  And yes, buy more than one boat and you'll be amazed how things start to loosen up...  

Capture.JPG

• Like 2
1 hour ago, IXFE said:

And all I'm saying is... it depends on the dealer, regardless of brand.  I literally shopped every brand this year, as a serious buyer, during the week when the showrooms were empty, spent hours with various dealers.  My experience was not like you say.  Everybody needs to remember, these dealers are all independent businesses with different practices, habits, and strategies. 

I do agree that invoice transparency is probably inevitable.  I didn't realize it was so accurate for MC.  And your dealer showing you the invoice is amazing... literally never heard of that in this industry.  That's either because they are really progressive or because you're TenTwentyOne (i.e. not Joe Public).  I suspect it's the latter. 

Are you talking general MSRP info? Im guessing you shopped MC and SC products? I mean, their MSRP info is accessible for anyone right on their website for every model. I’m not sure how you couldn’t easily get every bit of that info you were looking for?!?

As for invoice amounts, I have been doing some stock ordering for my MC dealer for years. That’s the only reason I knew costs before. In recent years, my dealer has had tons of customers coming in with the seedealercost printouts, so they just decided to open up about it. 

As for my Nautiques, I had to ask to see it. Like you, I flip every year, and I can’t do that at normal dealer margins. They understand that, and that I have to know all the info to be competitive on my flip. They knew I needed that if I was going to switch brands.

I have asked, and received from other brands as well, but not enough times to make any assumptions or comparisons (fairly). Have you tried asking??

It is an interesting market, and I have been learning a lot as I have become more involved. Especially in the last year.

And I pretty much agree with you on all of your other points.

Why don't people just post that they bought XX model with XX engine, XX trailer and XX options and paid $XX amount for it.  If they have the MSRP include that also.  It might help to include the month you closed the deal and whether the boat was an order vs. in stock.  If I am a dealer I am going to give a better deal on something I have on the lot than something that I am going to order, but I could argue that either way.  You would not have to include the dealer name if that makes it easier.  I would guess just having some real numbers would be helpful for people trying to determine the price range for a certain model and when to just walk away from a negotiation. 

Everyone here are people that enjoy their boats and I am not sure why things have to be secret.  I know when I bought my boat I did not have to sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement when we came to a price.  I did buy on December 30 and the boat was one they had in stock with 8 hours on it.  I looked at the same boat in May of that year and it was a lot more.  I don't recall the MSRP in April, I think it might have been around $78k (2010 LSV).  I paid $58k prior to adding a few options and they took my Centurion on in trade.  I am pretty sure that was close to what they paid for it and I know I would have not got the same deal in January.  There was no negotiating the dealer just told me what he would sell it for.  I am in between two dealers and the other dealer had basically the same boat in a different color and offered be pretty much the same price.  That other dealer needed the cash to pay off the flooring line so he could not do a trade in and I did not want to hassle selling my boat.

I was able to add a few options provided by the dealer to get pretty much the boat I wanted.  If I ordered I would have done different colors but have grown to love the color combo I have. 

Kris

8 minutes ago, BSUBU_Kris said:

Why don't people just post that they bought XX model with XX engine, XX trailer and XX options and paid $XX amount for it.  If they have the MSRP include that also.  It might help to include the month you closed the deal and whether the boat was an order vs. in stock.  If I am a dealer I am going to give a better deal on something I have on the lot than something that I am going to order, but I could argue that either way.  You would not have to include the dealer name if that makes it easier.  I would guess just having some real numbers would be helpful for people trying to determine the price range for a certain model and when to just walk away from a negotiation. 

Everyone here are people that enjoy their boats and I am not sure why things have to be secret.  I know when I bought my boat I did not have to sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement when we came to a price.  I did buy on December 30 and the boat was one they had in stock with 8 hours on it.  I looked at the same boat in May of that year and it was a lot more.  I don't recall the MSRP in April, I think it might have been around $78k (2010 LSV).  I paid $58k prior to adding a few options and they took my Centurion on in trade.  I am pretty sure that was close to what they paid for it and I know I would have not got the same deal in January.  There was no negotiating the dealer just told me what he would sell it for.  I am in between two dealers and the other dealer had basically the same boat in a different color and offered be pretty much the same price.  That other dealer needed the cash to pay off the flooring line so he could not do a trade in and I did not want to hassle selling my boat.

I was able to add a few options provided by the dealer to get pretty much the boat I wanted.  If I ordered I would have done different colors but have grown to love the color combo I have. 

Kris

This earlier comment is why that's not going to be very effective for most people. It's a sellers market and none of the tow boat brands can crank out boats fast enough right now. Talk to the various dealers and listen to the MBUU and MCFT earning calls and you'll hear they're not focused on clearing aged inventory from their dealer lots.

Until that market dynamic changes, the best price an individual negotiates is going to have to do. If you can't reach an agreement, the dealers know they just need to tell the next guy in the door they can finance it over 20 years and the boat is gone.

10 hours ago, Pnwrider said:

Depends on the situation. I would say that most people do not have 4 Malibu dealers within an hour (60 miles) to choose from. In my case, the local dealer is 10 minutes from my house. Next two closest dealers are 3-4 hours away (one way). If you buy out of territory, good luck being anywhere near the front of the line for any warranty or service issues. 

This is very true... But on the other hand you also have to weigh if the local guy is very small he will get very backed up in the summer time where some of the larger dealers that might be a few hours drive might be able to service a warranty issue relatively quickly in the heart of the season..

8 hours ago, The Hulk said:

This is very true... But on the other hand you also have to weigh if the local guy is very small he will get very backed up in the summer time where some of the larger dealers that might be a few hours drive might be able to service a warranty issue relatively quickly in the heart of the season..

I agree! My local dealer has 12 techs. I had warranty issues taken care of within a week, during their busy season. I wasn’t expecting them to be fixed until after the season.

On 5/23/2018 at 11:34 AM, IXFE said:

this The flip side o @TenTwentyOne... 

The real world runs on relationships.  The older I get the more true this becomes. The real world rewards people who can tolerate ambiguity and achieve results despite the inequities.  Build relationships in this industry and you'll be amazed and what happens.  Get involved at your dealer and you'll be amazed at what happens.  And yes, buy more than one boat and you'll be amazed how things start to loosen up...  

THIS.....

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, ConnollyCrew said:

Buy it....

I did that was my 2016 and my brother bought a 18 23LSV this week same pricing. 

My 19 25 they said I can’t order until late August. 

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...

Please clarify:  i have a new 2018(last year) mxz that im looking at and the msrp is $180k but the list price was $150k from the spec sheet.  I got an initial offer from dealer for $128k

Are you guys saying that the percentage that everyone is fighting about is using the msrp or the list price?

24 minutes ago, Studberg said:

Please clarify:  i have a new 2018(last year) mxz that im looking at and the msrp is $180k but the list price was $150k from the spec sheet.  I got an initial offer from dealer for $128k

Are you guys saying that the percentage that everyone is fighting about is using the msrp or the list price?

That is nearly 30% discount. That is really good even for a 2018.

But how does my dealer come up with an MSRP price of $180K, if the base price is $114k and the options are $36K totaling $150K.  The price of the boat is $150k but the spec sheet says $180K for the msrp.  The numbers don't match up, the MSRP can be whatever they want it to be??  FYI, this is a "24" foot MXZ 2018.

14 minutes ago, Studberg said:

But how does my dealer come up with an MSRP price of $180K, if the base price is $114k and the options are $36K totaling $150K.  The price of the boat is $150k but the spec sheet says $180K for the msrp.  The numbers don't match up, the MSRP can be whatever they want it to be??  FYI, this is a "24" foot MXZ 2018.

Now you are beginning to see...

It appears that MSRP is not necessarily standard from dealer to dealer, so a percent off means only a little.  

Assuming the boat is well equipped, and not a butt-ugly color, that is a really good deal to be starting with.  If it is supercharged and on a triple axle trailer, don't tell us where it is at, or it will be sold whilst you dink around on the internet trying to figure out if it is a good price.  

• Like 2

Every boat we have ever purchased from our dealer has come with a build sheet like I attached.  It is listed on their website with every new boat.  It states MSRP which is the number most people work off of for discounts.  Now for sales floor and boat shows they may have a list price but MSRP is always a standard figure.  The attachments are a 2018 22MXZ so the number you are working off is the $180K and as others have said, you are looking at almost 30% off which is a solid deal.  Depending on colors and options you may be able to work a slightly better deal, especially if they a 19' on the lot but I wouldn't get caught up in list price as that isn't a constant.

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG