Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

900 hours...

asp13

So I found a beautiful Sunsetter lxi. Interior is almost perfect, exterior is great, trailer is solid with new tires/bearings etc. It has the fuel injected engine but its sitting around 900 hours. Would the number of hours scare you off? The owner looks to be a real malibu enthusiast who takes good care of his boats. How many hours would be reasonable to expect one of the engines to run?

Edited by asp13
2 minutes ago, asp13 said:

The owner looks to be a real malibu enthusiast who takes good care of his boats. 

^^^ Do a quick compression test on the engine and take it home if no surprises.  That's the equivalent of about 45,000 miles on a car.  Doubtful he used an LXi for much surfing :thumbup:

• Like 2

If the rest of the boat is taken care of it is likely that engine has been as well.  Properly maintained, a boats engine will go many thousands of hours without trouble.

Doesn't scare me... 1300 and at least 200 is surf with 4000lbs of ballast.

Edit: Had well over 2000 on the last boat (a 95 Echelon)

1300 Hours.jpg

Edited by 95echelon
  • Like 2
9 hours ago, asp13 said:

So I found a beautiful Sunsetter lxi. Interior is almost perfect, exterior is great, trailer is solid with new tires/bearings etc. It has the fuel injected engine but its sitting around 900 hours. Would the number of hours scare you off? The owner looks to be a real malibu enthusiast who takes good care of his boats. How many hours would be reasonable to expect one of the engines to run?

I have 1560 hours on a 2013 LSV23 with monsoon 350.  I wouldn’t be concerned if you do a leak down test and std compression test and water test drive.  Knock on wood, but my engine is going strong.  I think if fluids and filters have been changed regularly you should have no issues. Best of luck, safe and happy boating!

• Like 4

I just rolled over 1000 on my sunsetter, and we wakeboard and barefoot off of it. So she gets run hard but runs great. The original owner took great care of it and i do as well. 

Don't let the hours, as a pure number, scare you.  Heck even if you had a catastrophic problem you could replace the engine for what is amazingly cheap when you think about it.

These engines are pretty stout.  Funny story though, we used to have an old barefoot nautique with a carbed 454.  We bought it used form lake neighbor barefooter.  When went in a CC dealer the first time with prolly 500 hours mechanic asked who set the timing on this thing, I'm surprised it hasn't melted!  A few years later mechanic said how long has it been running bad?  We said its running great, multiple barefooters all the time.  He looked a bit suprised and pulled out one of the valves he removed which was nothing but the "stalk".  Who knows how long it was like that!  Long story short, if its the right boat, don't worry about the engine.

• Like 1

Agreed with what the rest said. If it's the right boat, at the right price, 900 is fine.

I've heard of a lot of these motors making 1500-2000+ before rings start getting a little weak. Even then, they still run fine. Just might use a little more oil.
All depends on maintenance, which seems like the owner took good care of it.

Compression test is a must. I like the idea of doing a leakdown test as well if your mechanic will do it for a reasonable price, but I don't think it's an absolute "must."
I'm also a big fan of looking at all the plugs and making sure there isn't a cylinder that has a bunch of soot/oil/or running super lean. That can be an indication of something you'll have to address sooner or later. (such as a leaky or clogged injector)

I'm at 770 and it's as strong as ever. 

• Like 2

Thanks crew.

Now comes the price. What would you guys say is fair for this 2001 Sunsetter lxi in good overall shape and 900 hours? It has tower, wedge, no cruise/perfect pass though

I am in Canada but feel free to tell me what you think its worth in USD as well

Edited by asp13

in your first post you said lxi...last post just says sunsetter....big price difference (upward) if its an lxi.  I sold a 2003 2 years ago in extremely poor shape (not from me, prior owner) for $17,000.  No tower but had ppass.

• Like 1

yes 17,000 USD.  Without looking, a clean lxi of that era with a tower would be a steal for you if you bought for 17 or under, 19-20 is probably the fair price.  That's without looking at the current market at all, however.

• Like 1

Pics help for sure, but I'd say anywhere from high teens to low 20's USD is about the normal price for a boat like that, give or take, based on condition, trailer etc.

You can add perfect pass for what, about $1100-1200 or so? (going off of memory, sorry)

EDIT: found it. $1200
https://www.bakesonline.com/perfect-pass-star-gazer-wakeboard-edition-mechanical.html

Edited by ibelonginprison

I had my eye on one last year in the Fraser Valley, they were asking mid-20's (Canadian); I think if you landed anywhere in the low to mid 20s you'd be getting a good deal.  Again, depending on how good a shape its in.

That's a pretty good deal, IMO. Not stealing it, but definitely cheaper than you're probably going to find elsewhere, at the start of the season, no less.

I'd add PP, do a good tuneup, maybe some stereo additions, and get on the water!!

Edited by ibelonginprison