Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Oil drain hose question.

Attempting to change the oil on my 99 Sunsetter VLX through the drain tube. I pulled the tube through the bilge hole and unplugged it but it barely even drips. Let it go overnight and I maybe have half a quart of oil drained. Could there be a check valve on the bottom of the oil pan I'm not seeing? Feeling around under there and I cant tell and there's hardly any space to see what I'm doing. Help!

I also bought a cheap extractor to try and go down the dipstick tube but the tubing on the extractor is too large in diameter to get it down in there. Didn't thing changing the oil would be this difficult. 

DO NOT GO DOWN THE DIPSTICK!

Warm the engine up.  Shove the oil extractor hose up the drain line or attach it to the end of the line, suck the oil out.  

Probably shouldn't stick an extractor down the dipstick channel, FWIW.  It doesn't happen that often, but, over the years, I've read too many stories about extractor hoses getting stuck and shearing off doing it that way.

I would try advancing the extractor tube up through the oil pan drain hose.  It should advance easily.  If not, you've probably got a kink in the hose.

Might be some oil gunk in the tube if it has not been used in 19 years.  Try putting a suction device (oil or otherwise) on the end of oil pan tube and see if it pulls out the gunk.  Avoid the dipstick tube extractor.