Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Top Speed for Malibu VLX

Tommytee

I am starting my search for a Malibu VLX and was interested in hearing from the Crew what is the top end speed for these boats. I have talked to a few owners and there is a wide discrepancy on top ends they are suggesting, with a range of 38 mph to 48 mph. I am looking at the years 2007 to 2012. I am sure the engine and prop size will make a difference so please specify. Appreciate your assistance.

Yes, engine and prop size . . . .  Also, whether or not you are running at elevation.

I have an '06 Sunscape with an Illusion tower, identical to a VLX of the same era except for the lack of plumbed-in ballast.  Mine has the 320hp LCR (base engine that year, 20hp less than the Monsoon).

My boat came stock with an Acme 381.  At wide-open throttle (WOT), my boat will top out at about 43-44 mph (running maybe 600 ft above sea level).

I currently am running an Acme 537.  It gives me a bit more pop on takeoff, and it seems to be a better prop when adding ballast for wake boarding/surfing.  But, WOT with this prop gets me to 41 mph.

Many folks that typically run fully slammed on ballast, for their surf or even wake board wakes, choose a prop that allows them to get on plane quickly despite all the added weight, but they are giving up even more top speed, easily dipping into the 30s.

Are you interested in bare footing?  Why are you focusing on top speed?

I have a 2010 LSV with the Monsoon 350 and standard prop.  Top speed about 42 at sea level with a full crew and fuel, ballast empty.

41551263554_e82a557e6e_b.jpg

Kris

Edited by BSUBU_Kris

2006 VLX with 340 and 1273 prop (similar to 1235 but with more cup).  I top out at 46 on phone GPS.  The boat saw 50 mph with a 14x20 (wrong prop for the boat, was a dog out of the hole but fun mid-range pop)