Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2001 Malibu vlx engine problems.

roblamson

so looking for input on possible problems on why my boat won't start. when i was out wake boarding the boat was running fine, then once when i was trying to pull the rider out of the water the boat sputtered a little and then proceeded to work fine ... a few mins later same thing accept a little worse. then eventually to the point where i would put the boat into gear and it would sputter out completely but it would run fine at idle in neutral. then it proceeded to get worse to the point where it wouldn't start at all....... while stranded and the boat wouldn't start we played with some things on the intake but didn't really touch anything. i just kept trying to start it here and there. then after about 20 mins of nothing i turned the blower on and it fired right up and went in to gear and i headed straight for the dock. the boat ran fine all the way to the dock. and i left the blower on the whole time.  it was late so i parked it and left it for the week. the following weekend i took it out to see if it would happen again and after about 10 to 15 mins of running it, it started all the symptoms all over again to the point where it wouldn't start and this time the blower being on didn't do anything and it wouldn't not start no matter what. any input or ideas would be greatly appreciated thanks.  

I would check the kill switch by the driver seat with the lanyard.  Sometimes the switch gets worn out and doesn't make a good connection.  You can either try putting a coin between the button and the clip or pull it out and just tie all the wires together. 

Another fuel filters.  Next question how are you working on the mechanical parts and understand them?  Another filter screen at the input of the fuel pump should be looked at. After that its going to get a little harder to direct someone with little mechanical skills. And fuel systems on boats can not have any leaks! What engine ?  Injected?  First run or tank of fuel this year?

325 indamar monsoon, injected. and its on the last little bit of the second full tank this year. fuel filters were changed at beginning of last season and after this problem occurred this season.  and i have already bypassed the kill switch. 

Get a fuel pressure tester and when you’re having issues starting it, check that first.

if fuel pressure is good, that begins to isolate the problem to either ignition system or intake issues.

14 hours ago, roblamson said:

325 indamar monsoon, injected. and its on the last little bit of the second full tank this year. fuel filters were changed at beginning of last season and after this problem occurred this season.  and i have already bypassed the kill switch. 

I would still look into the fuel delivery. I have had a couple boats of that era, and my last 2001 LXi the fuel line was starting to deteriorate and let little pieces of black rubber go. Some of these were past the fuel filters, and getting caught in the little screens in front of the fuel pump. That was a mercruiser black scorpion, but I bet the monsoon fuel pump has a little screen at the inlet too. Boat would usually start ok, but a hole shot or running at 3/4 or more open throttle would result in the engine stumbling and loosing power. Would be ok again for a while until fuel flow was increased and then it would start all over again. Probably a long shot, but it doesn't take long to pull the fuel line off and take a peek.

I got lot's of recommendations to replace the fuel lines on boats of this age.

I'm going thru this exact issue on my 02. Bought new lines, will install this weekend. I may need a fuel pump too, we'll see. I want to look at the ball valve and fuel pick-up at the tank before I purchase that $400 pump.

Steve B.

Could be cap and rotor. My boat stalled this year and wouldn't start after re-starting once. Cap and rotor didn't look too bad to me, but replacing them fixed it.

p.s. I also found a bit of an older rotor tab under the cap.

11 minutes ago, JasonK said:

Could be cap and rotor. My boat stalled this year and wouldn't start after re-starting once. Cap and rotor didn't look too bad to me, but replacing them fixed it.

p.s. I also found a bit of an older rotor tab under the cap.

Yeah I also checked my cap and rotor and it didn't look to bad , but maybe I'll have to look more into that now.