Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Choice

Hierro

Ask to test drive/ski both. If slalom wakes are REALLY important to you then you will lean twords the LXi. If you are a recreational skier you might find that the ski wakes of the 23 xti are good enough for what you are doing. You won't know for sure until you try both. The dealer should have no problems letting you test drive both boats. Either way you go he is getting a sale.

Here is another example of why they need to bring back the SLXi diamond hull on an updated deck & interior.

If what I'm hearing is true, they may have found it in the Sunscape VTX. I know it's not a DD boat, but they may have found a way to give everyone what they want only in a vdrive. If they've been able to do that, it's a huge coup over the competition. They've already got the best crossover hulls in the industry, this could potentially widen that gap.

To the OP, drive both, ski behind both & then decide what you think. I do suspect that the salesman had a boat leftover that he wants to unload, but it comes down to whether or not they're going to listen to you when you tell them what you want. Make them - if they won't, ask for someone else. If that doesn't work, go to a different dealership, whatever that may mean for you.

If what I'm hearing is true, they may have found it in the Sunscape VTX. I know it's not a DD boat, but they may have found a way to give everyone what they want only in a vdrive. If they've been able to do that, it's a huge coup over the competition. They've already got the best crossover hulls in the industry, this could potentially widen that gap.

To the OP, drive both, ski behind both & then decide what you think. I do suspect that the salesman had a boat leftover that he wants to unload, but it comes down to whether or not they're going to listen to you when you tell them what you want. Make them - if they won't, ask for someone else. If that doesn't work, go to a different dealership, whatever that may mean for you.

As a previous owner of a SLxi, I'm really wanting to try the VTX. My dealer has one sitting at the factory now, waiting for the windshield (apparently back-ordered) to arrive. He said he would give me a tow when it shows up. Since my BIL owns my old SLxi - I'm going to try to get a tow behind it the same day, so I can give as good of comparison as possible. I've said for a long time, that if I could get a V-drive with a good wake, I'd buy it, because I like the layout for the family. There's never been as nice of cross-over boat as the SLxi - I'm just hoping......

Hey Sandbagger,

How is the new ride treating you?

It's pretty sweet! I can't say the same for our lake levels though. I had a dream last night about hitting a stump at slalom speed Cry.gif Plus our lakes have been really dirty lately.

There's a couple of interior issues with the boat that I'll probably just fix myself. Also, the driver's side upper rack mounting holes on the illusion tower aren't straight with the other one. I don't know whether to try and fix it myself or get Wilson watersports or metcraft to fix it?? I'll probably make a new post on the subject soon.

As a previous owner of a SLxi, I'm really wanting to try the VTX. My dealer has one sitting at the factory now, waiting for the windshield (apparently back-ordered) to arrive. He said he would give me a tow when it shows up. Since my BIL owns my old SLxi - I'm going to try to get a tow behind it the same day, so I can give as good of comparison as possible. I've said for a long time, that if I could get a V-drive with a good wake, I'd buy it, because I like the layout for the family. There's never been as nice of cross-over boat as the SLxi - I'm just hoping......

I just giggle at the thought of this. It would be soooooo ironic if this boat is as good as Malibu says it is.

I just giggle at the thought of this. It would be soooooo ironic if this boat is as good as Malibu says it is.

Part of me wishes it isn't... Innocent.gif

The Wallet part?

Or the part that owns a SLxi?

The Wallet part?

It's the DD part of him, & that's the part that makes me giggle. And the fact that if it is as good as they say, it would be everything that they need for their family. Mrs. Malibudude really really wants a vdrive.

The Wallet part?

It's the DD part of him, & that's the part that makes me giggle. And the fact that if it is as good as they say, it would be everything that they need for their family. Mrs. Malibudude really really wants a vdrive.

Bingo!...but don't tell her that. Oh wait she already knows Cry.gif

If that boat skis as well as they claim I'm going to have the same problem that Malibudude is having. Hopefully the one that Skier's Pier is going to have at their demo days this Sat. will be the ski hull version and I can get some first hand testing then think about an 08 model.

The RLXi is about the sweetest and best handling sports car on the water.

Next to the RLX. :)

And she's gonna hear it again from me in a month. :lol: Somebody said that boat is going to be AWSA certified.

Quit picking on Justin. He is NOT whipped and will buy whatever boat he wants. Or his wife tells him he wants. ROFL.gif And Tracie, don't go candy-coating a vdrive--we all know which side you live on and it aint too bright. Although, I suppose right now it would be safe to say you live on the fence? Innocent.gif

Tony asks some very interesting questions and makes very good points. Well, except the part about buying a MasterCrap. I'd rather slalom behind the 25 WLSV. Shocking.gif

Where's the op after four days? What percentage of time do you cruise vs. kneeboard/ski? Do you splash the boat everytime for a day on the water, or take off from the dock? Anyway, I'd say RLXi, but that's just me. YMMV

And she's gonna hear it again from me in a month. :lol: Somebody said that boat is going to be AWSA certified.

Quit picking on Justin. He is NOT whipped and will buy whatever boat he wants. Or his wife tells him he wants. ROFL.gif And Tracie, don't go candy-coating a vdrive--we all know which side you live on and it aint too bright. Although, I suppose right now it would be safe to say you live on the fence? Innocent.gif

Tony asks some very interesting questions and makes very good points. Well, except the part about buying a MasterCrap. I'd rather slalom behind the 25 WLSV. Shocking.gif

Where's the op after four days? What percentage of time do you cruise vs. kneeboard/ski? Do you splash the boat everytime for a day on the water, or take off from the dock? Anyway, I'd say RLXi, but that's just me. YMMV

No, currently I live on the couch. That's my life until sometime in November. Cry.gif (Although we are going to Shasta this weekend so I get to drive a lot. Good thing that Malibu vdrives drive so well. Tease2.gif ) As for Justin, he's too stubborn for his own good & needs to be shown the way. :lol:

Good point on the op, where'd he go?

Hi, Here is my 2cents on the big BU vs smaller BU and MC,

I have been skiing most every weekend for the past 2 years with 2 of my buddies and we alternate boats. They are Response, Sunsetter and PS 190.

The PS 190 wanders all over the planet and even I can pull the tail around like crazy, hate driving that boat.

When I drive the Sunsetter I feel like I am sitting "ONTOP" of a boat and am driving a boat but the wake is great, very soft, as good as the MC and almost as good as the Response.

When I drive the Response I feel like I am sitting "IN" the boat and it feels like I am driving my 1998 Corvette, the wake is the best of the 3 boats, very soft.

No, currently I live on the couch.

Has to be much more comfortable than the fence, now that I think about it. And you deserve it.

When I drive the Response I feel like I am sitting "IN" the boat and it feels like I am driving my 1998 Corvette, the wake is the best of the 3 boats, very soft.

Now that's what I'm talking about. :)

Went down to the local dealership the other day. I'd decided I wanted a Response Lxi. I ski and kneeboard, we never have more than 6 people in the boat when cruising or 4 when towing (including the skier), and I like the boat to handle like a sports car when cruising. I told all of this info to the sales guy that was helping me. He told me I didn't want a response, I wanted a Sunsetter 23 XTI. It would handle better in the water and tow skiers better. He told me the response was just an entry level boat. Now I've been in 2 other DD's longer than 21 feet and I wasn't impressed with their ride, they were more like a station wagon on the water instead of a sports car. Is this guy just trying to sell me a more pricier boat or is the Sunsetter that much better.

Lets look a little closer at this. Yes it sounds like the salesman is pushing you into something you don't want, but... lets make sure we know all the details.

First, when you say "you want the boat to handle like a sports car" that means you will be most happy with the Response or RLXi. When the salesman said you don't want a response because it was entry level was he talking about the Response or the Response LXi? Cause the standard Response could be descirbed that way by some. If he was talking about the LXi then he is an idiot. When he says "you want a 23XTi cause it will handle better in the water and tow skier better" I guess the fair question would be what water do you boat in? Cause the 23 will handle bigger water better than the Response or RLXi, but the boat itself will handle worse than the smaller ones when going for the "sports car" feel on smooth water. Pulling skiers better... now that is just not true, unless the guy somehow thinks the bigger boat will be harder for a skier to pull around, even so this is a pretty pointless arguement that only shows the guys lack of knowledge.

You said you have been in other bigger DD's longer than 21 feet... were they Tige's by any chance? I only say this becuase if you were to try and compare a Tige' anything to a Malibu it is not a fair comparison. They drive like water tanks and handle like crap, even the DD's. If these were the boats you were in then you owe it to youself to check out the "other" DD's, even the bigger ones because they may change your impression of the bigger DD's. We just don't know all the details and we are all quickly shooting off the hip, but lets make sure we completely understand your needs/desires.

Your last comment, the Sunsetter isn't better, it is different. The RLXi is the hardcore slalom boat, the Sunsetter is the family boat for a good skier who is willing to trade extra space for the perfect wake. Probably more than you asked for, but I just have to wonder how dense a guy is to tell you those things unless he knows something we don't. If he's truly that dense and just tried to switch you into something else then go buy a Mastercraft cuase the Malibu dealer won't be in business much longer. :)

[/quotfirst ill say the response is a great boat for the one thing it dose very well slalom. second i feal if you want a larger d.d with "sports car" type handling flawless turns left and right the ability to handle chop/ruff water you should look at a tige. hands down the best handling most versatile ski boat out there. for someone to say that a tige handles like a water tank is absurd. i work on all brands of ski boats and drive them all the time. the tige is by far and i mean by far the best handling boat. yes better than a malibu,cc, or mc. have you driven a tige yet. like i said the response is a great slalom boat but thats it thats all it does. compare it to a tige lets say a 21i for example 21i very good slalom, excellent for 2ski and kneeboard, good wakeboard and good wakesurf its a great multisport boat. and no i dont own one now but i know people who do and i go out in them all the time. and yes my next boat will be a tige. its your boat and the choice is yours but i would recomend you atleast drive one you will be glad you did. i would drive them all bu, cc ,mc and tige then you tell me wich one you like the best and fit your familys needs plz. thanx

Edited by boatech
first ill say the response is a great boat for the one thing it dose very well slalom. second i feal if you want a larger d.d with "sports car" type handling flawless turns left and right the ability to handle chop/ruff water you should look at a tige. hands down the best handling most versatile ski boat out there. for someone to say that a tige handles like a water tank is absurd. i work on all brands of ski boats and drive them all the time. the tige is by far and i mean by far the best handling boat. yes better than a malibu,cc, or mc. have you driven a tige yet. like i said the response is a great slalom boat but thats it thats all it does. compare it to a tige lets say a 21i for example 21i very good slalom, excellent for 2ski and kneeboard, good wakeboard and good wakesurf its a great multisport boat. and no i dont own one now but i know people who do and i go out in them all the time. and yes my next boat will be a tige. its your boat and the choice is yours but i would recomend you atleast drive one you will be glad you did. i would drive them all bu, cc ,mc and tige then you tell me wich one you like the best and fit your familys needs plz. thanx
:lol: Oh, wait...you're serious? :unsure:

Definitely drive very brand / model that might fit your needs. Pay attention to fit & finish as well as handling & wake characteristics. I live on a private lake and regularly ski behind Malibu's, CC's, & MC's. There is one Tige in the group and it is easily my least favorite to drive. The MC P/S 196 (I think that's the model) is my least favorite to ski behind but the Tige is right down there on the bottom with it. The Tige actually has troughs on each side of the wake...**Men On Film Voice** "Hated it!". I think the MC's problem is it has a tower with racks, speakers, lights,...which is probably why the wake is more of a launch ramp than the other boats.

If Tige's were "hands down the best" and "by far the best handling"...then Tige Boats would be the top selling brand. I don't recall exactly where they are on the list but I know that they are not in the top 3.

Edited by NorCaliBu