Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Choice

Hierro

Went down to the local dealership the other day. I'd decided I wanted a Response Lxi. I ski and kneeboard, we never have more than 6 people in the boat when cruising or 4 when towing (including the skier), and I like the boat to handle like a sports car when cruising. I told all of this info to the sales guy that was helping me. He told me I didn't want a response, I wanted a Sunsetter 23 XTI. It would handle better in the water and tow skiers better. He told me the response was just an entry level boat. Now I've been in 2 other DD's longer than 21 feet and I wasn't impressed with their ride, they were more like a station wagon on the water instead of a sports car. Is this guy just trying to sell me a more pricier boat or is the Sunsetter that much better.

Went down to the local dealership the other day. I'd decided I wanted a Response Lxi. I ski and kneeboard, we never have more than 6 people in the boat when cruising or 4 when towing (including the skier), and I like the boat to handle like a sports car when cruising. I told all of this info to the sales guy that was helping me. He told me I didn't want a response, I wanted a Sunsetter 23 XTI. It would handle better in the water and tow skiers better. He told me the response was just an entry level boat. Now I've been in 2 other DD's longer than 21 feet and I wasn't impressed with their ride, they were more like a station wagon on the water instead of a sports car. Is this guy just trying to sell me a more pricier boat or is the Sunsetter that much better.

to answer your main question, YES in every sense of the word.

Get the Response LXi. :)

You might mention to the sales manager that you don't appreciate the salesman trying to move you to a more expensive boat that doesn't suit your needs. Mad.gif

Welcome to the site Hierro. The Response LXi is one of the two best ski boats on the planet - the Response/LX is the other. The salesman is looking after his commission and doesn't give a toss about your requirements. I'd find another dealer and place the order for an LXi - you'll never regret buying a quality boat!!!

I am very happy w/ my Lxi, but when I pack my two daughters, their friends, and their baggage, it gets allittle tight in there. Add skis,wakeboards, vests and a cooler(we don't put food in the floor cooler), and it gets hard to move around. The Sunsetter may be the same way though, not knowing how roomy the interior of it is.

That salesman is so far off it's not even a judgement call. If you can't trust him with even helping to point you to the right model, which in your case sounds like it is the RLXi, how can you trust him when it comes to picking out options, etc...

I would stay clear of this guy and deal with the Sales Manager directly from this point forward. If he is the Sales Manager then this may be on of those cases that perhaps not going with Malibu is the right way to go strictly because of the dealer. If it does come to that, please do everyone a favor and send Malibu an email and let them know why.

Mike

My guess is the guy has an 23 XTi in stock and would have to order an LXi.

I would say it's ok for him to try and sell you the XTi, but he shouldn't lie to you about it's capabilities. The XTi is a nice boat, make him put it in the water and burn up some of his gas one afternoon and see what you think for yourself. Then you can decide if you need/want a 23XTi.

The short answer to your main question is buy the Response, you have already sold yourself on the capabilities based on your needs and you don't seem to be off base with your expectations one bit. You would be happy in that boat.

If you can't trust him with even helping to point you to the right model, which in your case sounds like it is the RLXi, how can you trust him when it comes to picking out options, etc...

Exactly.

First off this salesman is an idiot and isn't listening to what you are asking. The Response LXI is NOT any entry level boat rather a world class slalom boat. Why he's pushing you into a 23' boat is insane I suspect Tony is correct that he has one in stock, I could see suggesting a Sunsetter 21' XTI on the diamond hull though. I'd get the RLXI based upon your specified uses.

ask the salesman 'if a sunsetter tows skiers better, why are world records set behind the Response LXi ?'

Couldn't have said it better myself...

That salesman is so far off it's not even a judgement call. If you can't trust him with even helping to point you to the right model, which in your case sounds like it is the RLXi, how can you trust him when it comes to picking out options, etc...

I would stay clear of this guy and deal with the Sales Manager directly from this point forward. If he is the Sales Manager then this may be on of those cases that perhaps not going with Malibu is the right way to go strictly because of the dealer. If it does come to that, please do everyone a favor and send Malibu an email and let them know why.

Mike

We'll halp ya out on that issue, we're good at spending others money here. Crazy.gif

Get the Response Lxi, you won't be disappointed.

What he said!

As an owner of a 2004 Sunsetter 23 XTI...... Based on your description, the XTI would be fine BUT the Response LXi seems more closely alligned with your desires.

Lets look a little closer at this. Yes it sounds like the salesman is pushing you into something you don't want, but... lets make sure we know all the details.

First, when you say "you want the boat to handle like a sports car" that means you will be most happy with the Response or RLXi. When the salesman said you don't want a response because it was entry level was he talking about the Response or the Response LXi? Cause the standard Response could be descirbed that way by some. If he was talking about the LXi then he is an idiot. When he says "you want a 23XTi cause it will handle better in the water and tow skier better" I guess the fair question would be what water do you boat in? Cause the 23 will handle bigger water better than the Response or RLXi, but the boat itself will handle worse than the smaller ones when going for the "sports car" feel on smooth water. Pulling skiers better... now that is just not true, unless the guy somehow thinks the bigger boat will be harder for a skier to pull around, even so this is a pretty pointless arguement that only shows the guys lack of knowledge.

You said you have been in other bigger DD's longer than 21 feet... were they Tige's by any chance? I only say this becuase if you were to try and compare a Tige' anything to a Malibu it is not a fair comparison. They drive like water tanks and handle like crap, even the DD's. If these were the boats you were in then you owe it to youself to check out the "other" DD's, even the bigger ones because they may change your impression of the bigger DD's. We just don't know all the details and we are all quickly shooting off the hip, but lets make sure we completely understand your needs/desires.

Your last comment, the Sunsetter isn't better, it is different. The RLXi is the hardcore slalom boat, the Sunsetter is the family boat for a good skier who is willing to trade extra space for the perfect wake. Probably more than you asked for, but I just have to wonder how dense a guy is to tell you those things unless he knows something we don't. If he's truly that dense and just tried to switch you into something else then go buy a Mastercraft cuase the Malibu dealer won't be in business much longer. :)

Lets look a little closer at this. Yes it sounds like the salesman is pushing you into something you don't want, but... lets make sure we know all the details.

First, when you say "you want the boat to handle like a sports car" that means you will be most happy with the Response or RLXi. When the salesman said you don't want a response because it was entry level was he talking about the Response or the Response LXi? Cause the standard Response could be descirbed that way by some. If he was talking about the LXi then he is an idiot. When he says "you want a 23XTi cause it will handle better in the water and tow skier better" I guess the fair question would be what water do you boat in? Cause the 23 will handle bigger water better than the Response or RLXi, but the boat itself will handle worse than the smaller ones when going for the "sports car" feel on smooth water. Pulling skiers better... now that is just not true, unless the guy somehow thinks the bigger boat will be harder for a skier to pull around, even so this is a pretty pointless arguement that only shows the guys lack of knowledge.

You said you have been in other bigger DD's longer than 21 feet... were they Tige's by any chance? I only say this becuase if you were to try and compare a Tige' anything to a Malibu it is not a fair comparison. They drive like water tanks and handle like crap, even the DD's. If these were the boats you were in then you owe it to youself to check out the "other" DD's, even the bigger ones because they may change your impression of the bigger DD's. We just don't know all the details and we are all quickly shooting off the hip, but lets make sure we completely understand your needs/desires.

Your last comment, the Sunsetter isn't better, it is different. The RLXi is the hardcore slalom boat, the Sunsetter is the family boat for a good skier who is willing to trade extra space for the perfect wake. Probably more than you asked for, but I just have to wonder how dense a guy is to tell you those things unless he knows something we don't. If he's truly that dense and just tried to switch you into something else then go buy a Mastercraft cuase the Malibu dealer won't be in business much longer. :)

A voice of reason, now thats refreshing. Maybe the salesman was a wakeboarder and the 23 XTi was the best slalom boat he had ever seen.

Without being privey to the conversation it is hard to speculate on on what was said. Try the new VTX with the diamond hull. I drove the Wakesetter version the other day and it is an amazing boat.

Dwayne

Edited by maliboo

i know our malibu sales manager is the grumpiest most coniving person on the face of this planet but we deal with the guy under him (JJ) and he is great. probably the best boat salesman i have ever met

Let's not get carried away... Biggrin.gif Seriously, these are all excellent points.

If I was the sales guy and you walked in and said you wanted a Response LXI I would have grabbed an order form and started to write it up. I would probably make sure you weren't looking for the best wakeboarding or surfing wake but you would walk out of the dealership with a Malibu on order.

Ask to test drive/ski both. If slalom wakes are REALLY important to you then you will lean twords the LXi. If you are a recreational skier you might find that the ski wakes of the 23 xti are good enough for what you are doing. You won't know for sure until you try both. The dealer should have no problems letting you test drive both boats. Either way you go he is getting a sale.

Here is another example of why they need to bring back the SLXi diamond hull on an updated deck & interior.

As an owner of a SS 21XTi which has a much better slalom wake than the 23', the Response wake is in a totally different class. The RLXi is about the sweetest and best handling sports car on the water.

I still try to think of my SS XTi as an SUV instead of a wagon, even though the title on the Chevy Tahoe states "wagon" :lol::lol:

I'm sure someone will sell you a Response and then you can buy a couple of years or more of fuel with the cost savings.

If I was the sales guy and you walked in and said you wanted a Response LXI I would have grabbed an order form and started to write it up. I would probably make sure you weren't looking for the best wakeboarding or surfing wake but you would walk out of the dealership with a Malibu on order.

I Agree.