Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Milky Oil / Water in Oil - 383 Hammerhead

sidekicknicholas

31 minutes ago, sidekicknicholas said:

I don't expect the old ones to be a perminant fix, but can't trouble shoot anything without those holes plugged.

It's not really as bad as it seems, I mean you have rubber hoses all over the engine....

Edited by MadMan

Well, my fears were realized tonight.

After I got both plugs back in I ran the boat for about 5 mins at the launch and had rising milkshake oil.  I think my block is toast.

Finger crossed skisafe will cover it.

7 hours ago, sidekicknicholas said:

After I got both plugs back in I ran the boat for about 5 mins at the launch and had rising milkshake oil.  I think my block is toast.

Was probably caused by one of the blocks drain holes being clogged and trapping some water.

3 minutes ago, MadMan said:

Was probably caused by one of the blocks drain holes being clogged and trapping some water.

Yup.  You have to make sure to jam a screwdriver in the lower ones, had many engines clogged there with different debris.

7 hours ago, sidekicknicholas said:

Well, my fears were realized tonight.

Finger crossed skisafe will cover it.

There is insurance that covers not winterizing properly? 

Just curious - DYI winterized or by a shop?

BTW so sorry for your headaches, hope you get up & running again soon.

Edited by Rednucleus

DIY, but I've done it ever year on every boat I've had for the last 15 years.

Always the same 8 things for me on the malibu -

2x trans hoses drained,

4x block hoses drained (exhaust manifold),

2x block plugs drained

... leave everything unhooked and opened til spring.  

Never had an issue before, and I don't believe we had a freeze before I got to it, we pulled the boat early October master year and didn't freeze til well I to November.

As far as insurance I have a special addendum to my policy to protect against freezing.

1 hour ago, sidekicknicholas said:

DIY, but I've done it ever year on every boat I've had for the last 15 years.

Always the same 8 things for me on the malibu -

2x trans hoses drained,

4x block hoses drained (exhaust manifold),

2x block plugs drained

... leave everything unhooked and opened til spring.  

Never had an issue before, and I don't believe we had a freeze before I got to it, we pulled the boat early October master year and didn't freeze til well I to November.

As far as insurance I have a special addendum to my policy to protect against freezing.

You dont drain the j hose on the water pump? 

In any event, likely that the block drain(s) were plugged with rust flakes or some other debris.  

Good thing you have the insurance, let us know how easy/hard that claim process is. 

Claim was started today.... but not much progress, before they can progress I will have to submit a quote from a dealer for the repair.  During this process I'll probably go with radio silence here.

I'll update once the claim either moves forward or if it is denied.