Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need Alpha II Speaker grills

pawter1970

Hi All,

The black material on the back inside my tower speakers (4 x Alpha II) as started to rip from the edges and wondering if I could find a cover (grill like), the speakers work fine, it's just more for cosmetics and would like to avoid having to replace all 4 speakers.

Thanks,

A picture would help a bunch on this. My Alpha II cans were plastic chromed caps and grills on powder coated metal cans. The only “material” on them was the speaker cones themselves. It could just be terminology confusing me or you might have some sort of mesh covering the speakers. My factory speaker cones started to delaminates after just a couple years. Hopefully this isn’t the case. 

2 minutes ago, wdr said:

A picture would help a bunch on this. My Alpha II cans were plastic chromed caps and grills on powder coated metal cans. The only “material” on them was the speaker cones themselves. It could just be terminology confusing me or you might have some sort of mesh covering the speakers. My factory speaker cones started to delaminates after just a couple years. Hopefully this isn’t the case. After rereading the post, it sounds exactly like the speakers are delaminating. There are a couple places that have direct replacements for those cans. If you do a search the info is here. @MLA is well versed in all things audio so I know he could steer you in the right direction. 

Hi wdr,

Thank you for the post, yes sorry don't have a pic (yet), but I figured this out now, I can simply just replaced the 6x9 speaker inside the can, contacted my dealer and he has replacements available for $90 per unit. Actually was wondering if I could just shop for 6x9 oval replacement speakers for any audio merchant, just want to make sure any 6x9 would fit in the cans.

Thank you.

Those should work and should be readily available from a lot of places. Be prepared to do some soldering or crimping depending on how the stock wires are attached to the speakers. IIRC when I replaced mine, my factory MB Quarts were soldered onto the speaker spades. 

Might want to check you sub box while you are messing with the audio. My factory sub box had separated by a good 1” and was all but worthless. Just put on some bass heavy music and put your hand over over the carpeted bass plate. If it is should bad you will feel the air moving around right behind that plate. Plus my factory box was literally 1/2 the volume it needed to be according to RF.

A9087E4E-97D2-492E-9C0B-7FF28084364B.jpeg

Edited by wdr

To clarify, it's the actual speakers that are worn out, the cans and the front cover design (chrome plastic) are all fine, I just simply need to replace the speakers inside the cans.

Not surprising, the sun eats them pretty fast. Especially if the boat is stored outdoors w/o can covers. Mine is stored in a heated garage and the speakers still died in 4 years. Be careful when pulling the front covers. There is a little rubber gasket inside the grill mating face that is supposed to seal them I guess, but really only keeps the grills from rattling around on the cans. If it breaks I would even try looking for a new one. I would just reseal them with some black RTV gasket maker or silicone.

That does clarify. However, there is nothing cosmetic about what you now describe as deteriorating. That the actual speaker suspension (surround) and/or cone. Replacing the 4 drivers would be the fastest and simplest solution.

You have the option to upgrade to a 6x9 Horn Loaded Compression driver and gain some volume, or stay with a traditional 6x9 coaxial.