Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

West sounds led rings

Cboom12

Thinking of adding these to the stock sp3 on my a24. Looking for insight from people who have done similar upgrades. How much work is it and how skilled do you need to be. I’ve done stereo installs and I’m relatively handy. 

I can say its fairly easy.  Biggest PITA is running the RGB wire throughout the boat.   Lessons learned for me is plan for all your connections present and future.   tap in some connectors for your cupholders and anything else you want to light up, otherwise you will be going back and cutting up your wire when you decide to do so.  With the LED speaker rings, be very careful not to stress the wires where it connects to the RGB strip.  Pretty fragile.  Nothing more frustrating than hooking everything up thinking is good and having to go back and troubleshoot connections.   With that being said....test all your lights before you screw your speakers back in.   lol.  Oh and have a beer cooler full while you do this.....

LED2.thumb.jpg.ea2c049b5a7e092e37201690b58e4792.jpg

Edited by Blenderhead

Unless its a factory option and the tower is pre-wired, you will need to remove the existing speakers, in order to run wire through the tower. 

The ring kits should come with instructions that pertain to installing then into the pods. 

Like @Blenderheadsaid plan ahead.  I actually drew a schematic of my wiring before hand to make sure I provided for all my connections.  I ended up doing the towers on one zone and the in boats and sub on another.  Honestly it took longer to plan out then install.  It’s a fun upgrade!  Be happy to share what I did and where I got my stuff.

3 hours ago, Blenderhead said:

I can say its fairly easy.  Biggest PITA is running the RGB wire throughout the boat.   Lessons learned for me is plan for all your connections present and future.   tap in some connectors for your cupholders and anything else you want to light up, otherwise you will be going back and cutting up your wire when you decide to do so.  With the LED speaker rings, be very careful not to stress the wires where it connects to the RGB strip.  Pretty fragile.  Nothing more frustrating than hooking everything up thinking is good and having to go back and troubleshoot connections.   With that being said....test all your lights before you screw your speakers back in.   lol.  Oh and have a beer cooler full while you do this.....

LED2.thumb.jpg.ea2c049b5a7e092e37201690b58e4792.jpg

Ur install looks great. 

Any recommendations on connectors / crimps that were easy to work with on the install?  I'm adding some RGB to my golf cart as a guinea pig prior to doing the upgrade on the boat.

Here is everything that I used.

Here is the link for the cupholder rings I used -
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4pc-set-RGB-LED-Cup-Holder-light-Ring-Boats-RV-MasterCraft-Moomba-Malibu/191796475323?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Link for the RGB controller - 
https://www.ebay.com/itm/RF-RGB-Music-Controller-Sonic-Sensitivity-LED-Backlight-Remote/181385198571?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Link for Wetsounds compatible connectors -  (great waterproof stuff)
Non solder type - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FU6BBG0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

wired type connectors - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A6M8CD8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

RGB Wire - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0154LFKUO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Heads up...   If you use any Westsounds branded RGB stuff be advised that the wiring color sequence is different. I think its the red and blue wire....  just make sure all your wire colors correspond.  This gets confusing when you use the connectors above because they dont have the same RGB wire colors.   if you dont keep them aligned  you may have some color conflicts between your different LED end points.    Not a big deal but if you are calling for blue, you want all your LEDs blue...not some Green and some blue. lol.

16 minutes ago, Blenderhead said:

If you use any Westsounds branded RGB stuff be advised that the wiring color sequence is different. I think its the red and blue wire...

This is not how the they are designed, so you may have had a mis-assembled item. Black is B+, and blue, red and green wire are the B- for those corresponding colors. With that said, I do know of a batch of the tower pod 6-pin adapters a couple years back that did come with a couple wires in the wrong pins compared to their mating connector. But again, this is not how they are designed, but was an assembly issue. 

Non the less, that is good advice to test colors as you go. Much easier to address then, rather then once everything is buttoned up. 

I used a XGlow 2 zone controller.  Chose that one cause I could control via phone app.  Very easy to use and works great.  To make my connections easier I used splitters and connectors from Superbrightleds.  They are cheap and using the connectors I was able to daisy chain my wire runs using a combo of male/female RGB connectors.  They come in different lengths and splitter options.  Really cut down on my crimped connections.  

On 5/19/2018 at 4:07 PM, MLA said:

This is not how the they are designed, so you may have had a mis-assembled item. Black is B+, and blue, red and green wire are the B- for those corresponding colors. With that said, I do know of a batch of the tower pod 6-pin adapters a couple years back that did come with a couple wires in the wrong pins compared to their mating connector. But again, this is not how they are designed, but was an assembly issue. 

Non the less, that is good advice to test colors as you go. Much easier to address then, rather then once everything is buttoned up. 

Ultimately its just imperative that you keep your colors connected to corresponding colors.  The problem I was running into is that the connectors that I used (the wet sounds compatible ones) didnt use the standard RGB wire colors so you had to really keep in mind what you were doing.   Or maybe im just retarded...  nonetheless I had to cross some wires to keep the colors consistent. lol.

22 minutes ago, Blenderhead said:

The problem I was running into is that the connectors that I used (the wet sounds compatible ones) didnt use the standard RGB wire colors so you had to really keep in mind what you were doing.

Clicking on your link, I see the issue. RGB stands for RED GREEN BLUE. I see red, green and yellow, so those may not be intended for RGB LEDs, even though the connector portion mates with the Wet Sounds speaker's 4-way. 

So in the end, it sounds like the issue was not Wet Sounds as pointed out, but the aftermarket connector is not standardized. 

17 minutes ago, MLA said:

Clicking on your link, I see the issue. RGB stands for RED GREEN BLUE. I see red, green and yellow, so those may not be intended for RGB LEDs, even though the connector portion mates with the Wet Sounds speaker's 4-way. 

So in the end, it sounds like the issue was not Wet Sounds as pointed out, but the aftermarket connector is not standardized. 

So if you look at the wet sounds color sequence it IS RGB however when you use your standard RGB wire its actually BGRB....so when integrating the two types you have to pay attention especially when using the Wetsounds compatible connectors that have non standard wire colors. 

Screen Shot 2018-05-20 at 7.03.26 PM.png

IMG_0431.jpg

Edited by Blenderhead

If you are using bulk cabling with the correct colors: red green blue and black, then just match the color, rather then just splice left to right.

If you are using an aftermarket connector to mate with the speaker, then you would want to trace the color from the speaker side, through your connector to the end, even if the aftermarket connector had the correct colors. The may not be in the correct order.  

BTW, Wet Sounds offers those mating pigtails if Malibu is not including them, even though they come with the retail speakers.  

Edited by MLA
3 minutes ago, MLA said:

If you are using bulk cabling with the correct colors: red green blue and black, then just match the color, rather then just splice left to right.

If you are using an aftermarket connector to mate with the speaker, then you would want to trace the color from the speaker side, through your connector to the end, even if the aftermarket connector had the correct colors. The may not be in the correct order.  

BTW, Wet Sounds offers those mating pigtails if Malibu is not including them, even though they come with the retail speakers.  

Good input @MLA.  definitely got it figured it out..... thank you 12 pack of beer.  

its all good now.  Just a bit of "lessons learned" :)    Oh an I just figured out that the Malibu Wetsounds tower speaker are NOT compatible with the RGB rings

12 minutes ago, Blenderhead said:

Oh an I just figured out that the Malibu Wetsounds tower speaker are NOT compatible with the RGB rings

Nope, the Malibu pods are a completely different design then the actual wet sounds pods.  

And again, your advice to test as you go is golden. I tossed over 20 RGB lights last month cause they were not assembled correctly as compared to previous batches. This back was wired so black was ground and the colors supplied the B+ for each color. This is not compatible with just about EVERY RGB controller out there. Discovered by bench testing each light.  

Edited by MLA

Well, my LED install days are done...unless I get some different pods to replace my Malibu branded tower pods.  

Everything works great and I can honestly say look great cruising around on a Sunday night.  

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_dca.thumb.jpg.3dfcf275c3f46a6e3e54b291d1a3c186.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_dc6.thumb.jpg.bccbeb8264bf176df2f4c2b5554efe52.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_dc8.thumb.jpg.a72358d1011d2acbba185009241b312b.jpg

On 5/19/2018 at 2:37 PM, Blenderhead said:

Here is everything that I used.

Here is the link for the cupholder rings I used -
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4pc-set-RGB-LED-Cup-Holder-light-Ring-Boats-RV-MasterCraft-Moomba-Malibu/191796475323?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Link for the RGB controller - 
https://www.ebay.com/itm/RF-RGB-Music-Controller-Sonic-Sensitivity-LED-Backlight-Remote/181385198571?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Link for Wetsounds compatible connectors -  (great waterproof stuff)
Non solder type - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FU6BBG0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

wired type connectors - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A6M8CD8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

RGB Wire - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0154LFKUO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Heads up...   If you use any Westsounds branded RGB stuff be advised that the wiring color sequence is different. I think its the red and blue wire....  just make sure all your wire colors correspond.  This gets confusing when you use the connectors above because they dont have the same RGB wire colors.   if you dont keep them aligned  you may have some color conflicts between your different LED end points.    Not a big deal but if you are calling for blue, you want all your LEDs blue...not some Green and some blue. lol.

Ok , which connector is the splice in the continuous wire , the 1st one right?

i had envisioned for my tower speakers using a 2nd one of the 1st  waterproof (great stuff) connector  inside the can to mate with the LED strip light leads from RGB kit I’m adding and one on the supply circuit with a cut piece of wire between them coming out of fixed clamp silicone seal that joins supply circuit in tower

My REVO 6 already have plug with 22guage pigtail coming out of plug to mate to connector at supply circuit 

the second connector in your post I’m  not quite understanding , I think this with its 10 cm raw lead is what  mates with  1st connector on supply circuit and then runs to speaker ??? but if both ends are raw in either side of connector then wouldn’t another connector would be used at speaker to connect to speaker leads 

also, i Guess if any 22 gauge wires like the LED light strip leads could be doubled over at the crimp to properly fit 18 gauge connectors ??

On 5/20/2018 at 4:34 PM, MLA said:

Nope, the Malibu pods are a completely different design then the actual wet sounds pods.

Do you know if there are any LED ring options for the Malibu pods?  I have Rev10s in Malibu pods and would love to add some LED rings, but I haven’t seen anyone successfully complete this modification. 

Just now, SCMike said:

Do you know if there are any LED ring options for the Malibu pods?  I have Rev10s in Malibu pods and would love to add some LED rings, but I haven’t seen anyone successfully complete this modification. 

I have looked around and have been unsuccessful in finding any for the Malibu branded stuff.....   I event tried to mod it...  bridge too far to make it work.

let me know if you spot any.

1 minute ago, Blenderhead said:

I have looked around and have been unsuccessful in finding any for the Malibu branded stuff.....   I event tried to mod it...  bridge too far to make it work.

let me know if you spot any.

Will do.  It does look like you found some for the interior speakers.  Would you mind pointing me to what rings you used for your interiors?  You boat looks great BTW! 

12 minutes ago, SCMike said:

Will do.  It does look like you found some for the interior speakers.  Would you mind pointing me to what rings you used for your interiors?  You boat looks great BTW! 

Thanks man.

So funny story in my infinite wisdom in wanted to upgrade my interior speakers....  I ordered 3 sets of REVO6 speakers because I wanted to upgrade my speakers, wanted the built in LEDs AND wanted to also add LED rings...  Thinking that I was actually upgrading the quality of the speakers and getting the built in LEDs it made it worth the upgrade.  Then I found out that the Malibu branded interior speakers are actually higher end speakers and exactly same as the REVO6 speakers without the built in LEDs after I finished installing everything.  Would have never made the purchase if I knew that lol.

To answer your question - I went with the Wetsounds branded rings from creativeaudio.com.  I think they might even have an active 10% coupon right now as well.

Ultimately, now I have 3 sets of brand new Malibu branded wetsounds 6.5" speakers.  Not sure if I want to sell them or keep them.....