Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Service Required Error / Active Alarm

Does anyone know what would be tripping this error on my 2018 21VLX?  Started AFTER I got my boat back from my 20hr service.   The dealership is troubleshooting now and has inquired with Indmar, but thought maybe the TMC think tank might have a similar experience with a quick answer. 

Only happens when I hit 26ish MPH then it gives me a "Service Required" active alarm.   Does not pop when surfing under load... just when I go faster than 26MPH.

"INTAKE CAM / DISTRIBUTOR POSITION"
"SPN:520800 FMI:7"

Help.

Sounds like it could be an “ECM” issue.  Also could be as simple as a plug wire or distributor cap or rotor.  Sometimes you can get weird codes for simple issues.   Could also be the cam position sensor.  Unfortunately, these so called smart engines are not so smart when it comes to troubleshooting as the codes they throw can be related to many smaller events that ultimately give a code cause the “ECM” can’t figure it out exactly, so it throws a fault code that we have to figure out through processes of elimination .  All the best, and hope it is an easy find and fix! Happy and safe boating!

Service department solved the problem.  Bad sensor....  

The problem is that the service departments are handcuffed by the warranty process.  They can only switch parts that as authorized by the Malibu / Indmar troubleshooting team....  Malibu doesn't give the authority to the dealerships to go "freestyle" on their troubleshooting which I think is kinda ridiculous.  

3 minutes ago, BlackBluMalibu said:

Curious minds want to know which sensor?

good question.  and I should know this..... I will ask the service team tomorrow for the specific sensor.   I assume it was the CAM position sensor.   well verify for the collective database tomorrow.  I was just happy that my boat was fixed!!!

Edited by Blenderhead
  • 3 weeks later...

I had the same problem. After numerous trip to the service dept, the problem was that indmar only installed 1 catalytic converter. The engine needs 2 converters.

1 hour ago, Sodhog55 said:

I had the same problem. After numerous trip to the service dept, the problem was that indmar only installed 1 catalytic converter. The engine needs 2 converters.

Huh?  I'd need to see a picture to believe that. 

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV
13 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Huh?  I'd need to see a picture to believe that. 

Me too... that cats are build into the manifolds. You would know that you didn’t have a manifold on prior to a service warning popping up in the dash screen...

Update...  so after replacing the sensor (still dont know which sensor) I am still getting the errors.   Next step according to the dealer is to replace the ECM.   No errors at surf speeds... only when I get upwards of 27mph.   Slow down and it goes away.

• 1 year later...