Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Used 22VLX vs new 21 or 22VLX

BLKnYLWbu

We are considering moving up from an old 2004 Response LXi to a newer boat. Our local dealer has a few options:

Used 2015 22VLX, monsoon 350, but the G4 tower with only 70 engine hours for ~75k. Out of warranty period.

New 2018 21VLX with a diamond cut hull. MSRP of ~120k on the build out sheet, going for around $87k. 

Held over new 2017 22VLX w/ monsoon 410. Has the G4 tower and some other upgraded options. Build sheet MSRP of $141k, selling at $96k. 

Would you guys consider any of these the substantially better deal? We have moved from skiing to mainly wake boarding, and want to get into surfing. Is it worth the extra money for a new boat? The 5 year warranty is a peace of mind, but not sure if it’s worth that much extra. Any thoughts on resale? 

Thanks! 

My 2015 22 VLX sounds exactly like the one you list as I have the 350 Monsoon, G4 and purchased mine last season with about 73 hours and for about $73K.  So, I would say that the $75K seems a little high and you may be able to negotiate a better price. 

I have had no problems with my boat and wish the warranty was still in effect, but they only offered 3-yrs in 2015.  Is the 2017 considered a new boat?  Because it cost around $1,800 to transfer the warranty ($750 for Malibu, $750 for Indmar and about $300 for dealer to inspect boat).   

Overall, I would recommend the 2015 22VLX because it is bigger than the 2018 21VLX and cheaper.  Save the money and invest in other toys.

What are the color schemes of these boats?  

Link below are to photos of my boat:

https://app.box.com/s/5zr707e9mumby29wfjlz0iejqx2x6lv3

3 hours ago, P6Expert said:

My 2015 22 VLX sounds exactly like the one you list as I have the 350 Monsoon, G4 and purchased mine last season with about 73 hours and for about $73K.  So, I would say that the $75K seems a little high and you may be able to negotiate a better price. 

I have had no problems with my boat and wish the warranty was still in effect, but they only offered 3-yrs in 2015.  Is the 2017 considered a new boat?  Because it cost around $1,800 to transfer the warranty ($750 for Malibu, $750 for Indmar and about $300 for dealer to inspect boat).   

Overall, I would recommend the 2015 22VLX because it is bigger than the 2018 21VLX and cheaper.  Save the money and invest in other toys.

nice looking boat

3 hours ago, P6Expert said:

great looking boat! 

The 2017 22VLX is brand new, so no warranty transfer pricing. It also have a black, red, and white scheme with a white G4 tower. 

The 2017 21VLX has a black, green, and white theme.

2015 22VLX has a black, yellow, and white theme with a black G4. Only concern with the 2015 would be putting stress on the 350 while surfing. We usually take out larger crews of around 10-12 on the weekends. We are at about sea level, so don’t need to worry about altitude. 

I am just wondering if spending the extra $20k on a new 22VLX would be justified in the long run with a better resale value some years down the road? In addition with the 5 year warranty for peace of mind. 

You also have the 410 motor that you will need for the ballast in that boat. The five year warranty is a great peace of mind.

I have a 2015 22vlx with the 350.  Running about 4500 lbs plus wedge with no problems.  2419 prop.  I can’t imagine needing more weight than that.  Surfing rpms at about 3600 and wakeboarding 3800.  Power wedge 2 is like a motor upgrade when getting boats on plane.  I would not be concerned about the motor unless you are at high elevation.

I owned a 2015 22VLX and put 205 hours on it.  It did have the 409, G3.2, definitely was a great boat with very little problems with it.  I would not hesitate to buy one with a 350, unless you are at a high altitude.  You will probably have to prop down a little and properly weight the boat (bow to stern weight).  The 350 as antiquated as it is delivers longevity and reliability.  They are pretty much bulletproof.

That being said I now have a 2017 LSV with Raptor 410 and 1.72 trans.  There is a noticeable power and performance difference going to the Raptor and trans reduction from the 409 with 1.51 trans.  The Raptor has been my favorite power plant to date (I also owned a 2011 VLX and 2013 VLX both with 350's).  The five year warranty is significant but your price difference is 21k between the two which is a huge jump.  I don't think 21k is worth going to the 2017 22VLX from a 2015 unless you really need more power.  Other than the engine/trans reduction the boat is basically the same thing other than some minor stuff.

I would pass on a 21VLX, imo they are just too small unless you only take out a very small crew or have lake restrictions.  For resale I believe the 22VLX is a better choice over the 21VLX.

If financing, the interest rate on used vs new may impact that decision a bit as well.  Example:

Let's say the new 96k boat at 2% for 5 years would be 5k in interest.  Use 75k boat, 5 years at 4.5% would be almost 9k in interest.  Now it is actually a 17k difference in price.  Something to consider.  

^^^ except interest rates are not normally over 2x more when going new vs 2-3 years old.

op, can you get them lower on the leftover 22 vlx? I’d try for that boat if you could get them down into the 80s...

^^ I agree........except that would be over 36% off MSRP.  Not saying it can't/won't happen, but that's a large percentage off MSRP.  On the other hand.......it is a '17 sitting on somebody's lot.  Worth an offer.  My vote would be for the 2017. 

25 minutes ago, Pnwrider said:

^^^ except interest rates are not normally over 2x more when going new vs 2-3 years old.

op, can you get them lower on the leftover 22 vlx? I’d try for that boat if you could get them down into the 80s...

Planning on taking the 2017 22VLX on a ride tomorrow. We may try bringing the price down by offering cash in full. 

9 hours ago, BLKnYLWbu said:

Planning on taking the 2017 22VLX on a ride tomorrow. We may try bringing the price down by offering cash in full. 

I never really understood this...the dealer sees cash immediately if you finance through a 3rd party.  If you finance through a partnering bank the dealer might actually get a small kickback and make more money if you finance. 

On cars I have actually gotten better deals by financing through the manufacturer and then just paying the loan off(not allowing the interest to offset the better price). 

By the way, I have a 17 22 VLX and love it. 

• Like 2
On 5/19/2018 at 8:58 PM, BLKnYLWbu said:

We purchased a new  ‘17 for >$86 in Feb.  got delivery last week. It has 410 hp but G3 tower.  Feel like we got a great deal. So, dealers have room to move.  Willingness to do so depends on the market and it’s a great time for dealers now. Good luck.  

I have a 2015 22VLX with the 350. I did prop it down to the 15x12 and I would say that I weight it to the point that the hull could not really take any more.  (Stock +825 in each locker and 1100 on the bow) + people. It take a delicate touch to keep water out of the bow or off the sundeck. 

I.E. Power is not an issue with that boat and you will love it. 

That said proping the boat down that far does give you a top end of about 34-36 mph. Friends have newer ones and the transmission gearing is nice because it allows a more efficient 15x15ish prop and it feels more powerful. But, then again you can't really put any more weight in the boat unless you want to sink it.