Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2018 T22 first oil change

Getting ready for first oil change on 2018 Axis T22, monsoon 410.  I'm being told to use 15w-40 Rotella, any opinions on this oil, also anyone know what filter to use. When I search for rotella, alI i find  is diesil engine, I'm assuming this is the same stuff.  Also this mysterious oil hose I'm hearing about, I'm guessing is laying under engine?  I was also told that the transmission fluid only needs to be changed annually, thoughts

Thx

Yes, rotella 15w-40, it will say heavy duty diesel. I have a 17 axis, same motor. Napa part number should be a 1016 for the filter. I use a mityvac to suck out the oil from the drain tube. I made an adapter for my suction hose. I think you'll get about 3 1/2 quarts out. Book says it holds 4 qts with filter. Ive heard horror stories with guys putting the suction tube down the dip stick tube to suck the oil out. I wouldnt do that. 

Make sure you get 15W-40 with an SN rating (for gas engines).  Once per year (or less) is OK for transmission and V drive fluid.

The hoe should be on a hanger near the bow end of the engine on the port (?) side.  Get a vacuum oil extractor and put it on the hose.  There are some horror stories around about using the dip stick tubes but that's  what I do with I/Os.

Just make sure you have the right Rotella -  you probably need an oil with the SN designation for gasoline engines.  Many of the Rotella products do not have SN (or SM for that matter).  My older monsoon engine, I use Delo products (a diesel oil with SM or better designation)

Yeah.  I can't find Rotella with the SN/SM designation at all anymore.  I have switch over to using the Delo 15w-40 as well.  

• Like 2

I would order the oil based on what your Owner's Manual states.  My 5.7L required 15W40 with a recommended viscosity with an "API SJ/CG4" designation or better.  

I used the following website to understand the viscosity designations:

http://www.api.org/products-and-services/engine-oil/eolcs-categories-and-documents/oil-categories

'Note:  The CG4 designation is obsolete, so I ordered the Rotella T4 15W40 which exceeds the requirements of API: CK-4, CJ-4, CI-4 Plus, CI-4, CH-4.  The CJ-4 designation exceeds the requirements of CG4.

28 minutes ago, P6Expert said:

'Note:  The CG4 designation is obsolete, so I ordered the Rotella T4 15W40 which exceeds the requirements of API: CK-4, CJ-4, CI-4 Plus, CI-4, CH-4.  The CJ-4 designation exceeds the requirements of CG4.

Nope.  Confusing but the C designations are for Diesel.  Ya gotta have SM or SN for gasoline.  Don't ask me why.  Maybe one of the engine guys will pop in the thread.  Delo with the SN is what I've been using.

Royal Purple is also an option ^^^ but I don't know why you would pay for full synthetic with a 35 hour interval.

Edited by minnmarker
addition
1 hour ago, wakedncsu said:

Yeah.  I can't find Rotella with the SN/SM designation at all anymore.  I have switch over to using the Delo 15w-40 as well.  

You have to go up to the T6 if you want Rotella (which is full synthetic). I think Delo's SN rated oil is a synthetic blend, so it's probably a little bit cheaper.

32 minutes ago, boardjnky4 said:

You have to go up to the T6 if you want Rotella (which is full synthetic). I think Delo's SN rated oil is a synthetic blend, so it's probably a little bit cheaper.

Nope and nope.  Gotta have SM or SN and T-6 is not - and Delo is not syn.  Again, don't ask me why.

44 minutes ago, minnmarker said:

Nope and nope.  Gotta have SM or SN and T-6 is not - and Delo is not syn.  Again, don't ask me why.

I JUST looked on Amazon and confirmed T6 meets SM.

Looks like the Delo SDE is indeed conventional and SN rated. 

This is the only SM/ Rotella I can find and it's full synthetic T6 5w-40. Anyone use this one

Thanks for all the replies

20180522_090935.jpg

On 5/17/2018 at 2:28 PM, minnmarker said:

Nope.  Confusing but the C designations are for Diesel.  Ya gotta have SM or SN for gasoline.  Don't ask me why.  Maybe one of the engine guys will pop in the thread.  Delo with the SN is what I've been using.

15W-40 Delo with SN rating is a good option.  With our short oil change intervals and moderate temps you really do not need synthetic oil.  5W-40 might be OK at boating temps but not worth it.