Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bow ballast leaking; inop bilge pump

Ryan1776

2nd day out with the boat, 2010 LSV, took some time first time to get familiar with it. Spent some time last night with the ballast and wedge and playing around. 

1st a LOT of water comes from the front ballast. The carpeted divider to the bow cushions in the walk way is getting wet and the carpet is soaked, starting from the bow rearward. (Tells me its above floor, so not center tank)
It then, of course fills the bilge. I only had the front tank at 50%, so it DOES get water, not like the line is broken in half. 
Water about half way up the fill pumps in the center of the boat, through access hole under carpet.
After a very quick search it seems the bilge pump location on these boats is horrendous. I didn't see any water in the V drive access, assuming this is part of the complaint to bilge location.
However, even turning on the pump rendered nothing, no noise. 

So! Before I go aimless rooting around this thing, any tips? 
My thoughts/check are 

1. Check fill lines to front hard tank. Possible cracked line/loose clamps. 
  2. Any possibility of an actual cracked tank?  
  3. Where is the drain pump for the front tank? Is it attached directly to the tank? Or remote? Maybe that's busted. (But it does pump out) Only see 3 pumps in access. I know this is elementary question. 
  4. Bilge pump location? Where is it? Behind engine? Or is it in the access port where you access the V drive?
  5. Bilge-check fuse. Under dash, correct? 

But it definitely seems a 2nd pump is needed. Will have to address that too. B-O-A-T..... 

Ryan

Lift up all the cushions in the bow, remove the floor and you should see the pumps.  It's likely that one of the hoses is cracked, less likely that the tank itself is damaged. 

Sounds like you have a lot of water coming in though, it will pool around the center hatch.  Your current bilge pump is behind the engine, port side.  It's not the best of locations, and even at rest it likely won't be pumping water out.  Adding a second pump to the center access drain is a good idea. 

Thank you! Definitely what I was leaning toward with the lines. 

I had everything off and turned the bilge on and couldn't hear the bilge, but maybe it's that quiet tucked away in there. 
Did have quite a bit of water, but never saw it in the V drive access? I'm assuming the whole bilge area communicates? 

25 minutes ago, Ryan1776 said:

Thank you! Definitely what I was leaning toward with the lines. 

I had everything off and turned the bilge on and couldn't hear the bilge, but maybe it's that quiet tucked away in there. 
Did have quite a bit of water, but never saw it in the V drive access? I'm assuming the whole bilge area communicates? 

Nope. The front of the boat ahead of the gas tank is blocked by the gas tank sitting on a rubber pad. In my case, I will get some water from up there in the rear of the boat, but not much. I installed another auto bilge pump wired hot and fused at the battery and with a manual Carling switch. Because I am OCD I still shop vac it out after every outing.

7 minutes ago, wdr said:

Nope. The front of the boat ahead of the gas tank is blocked by the gas tank sitting on a rubber pad. In my case, I will get some water from up there in the rear of the boat, but not much. I installed another auto bilge pump wired hot and fused at the battery and with a manual Carling switch. Because I am OCD I still shop vac it out after every outing.

OH!!! Got it! So pump could very well be fine. Makes good sense. 
Where did you route the discharge line? 
Did you screw the pump to the hull or epoxy? 

I had some one way check valves left over from a previous ballast set up. I used them and a "Y" fitting and plumbed it into the front tank vent line at the hull exit. The line runs from the pump, into and up through the hull frame (Fibecs) and exits up and out the deck hole behind the sub. I just set the pump on the deck. It is pretty much not going anywhere with both fill pumps, the center ballast drain pump and my brass fitting and shut off valve for the reversible pump for the bow bag.

48 minutes ago, wdr said:

I had some one way check valves left over from a previous ballast set up. I used them and a "Y" fitting and plumbed it into the front tank vent line at the hull exit. The line runs from the pump, into and up through the hull frame (Fibecs) and exits up and out the deck hole behind the sub. I just set the pump on the deck. It is pretty much not going anywhere with both fill pumps, the center ballast drain pump and my brass fitting and shut off valve for the reversible pump for the bow bag.

Love it! Thank you. 
Hope to figure out the ballast leak tonight. 

1 hour ago, wdr said:

I had some one way check valves left over from a previous ballast set up.

Forgot to ask, I'm assuming you used the check valve on the vent line? So to not allow bilge water to get into the tank? 

Both, it might overflow water into the bilge from the vent line w/o it. I have a 750 in the bow so it does make it puke, even with my internal tank pedestal that I made for it.

5 minutes ago, wdr said:

Both, it might overflow water into the bilge from the vent line w/o it.

AH! Got it! Thank you! So with your 750 bow, did you just ditch the hard tank and plumb in the bag? Tank pedestal eh? 

3 hours ago, Ryan1776 said:

2nd day out with the boat, 2010 LSV, took some time first time to get familiar with it. Spent some time last night with the ballast and wedge and playing around. 

1st a LOT of water comes from the front ballast. The carpeted divider to the bow cushions in the walk way is getting wet and the carpet is soaked, starting from the bow rearward. (Tells me its above floor, so not center tank)
It then, of course fills the bilge. I only had the front tank at 50%, so it DOES get water, not like the line is broken in half. 
Water about half way up the fill pumps in the center of the boat, through access hole under carpet.
After a very quick search it seems the bilge pump location on these boats is horrendous. I didn't see any water in the V drive access, assuming this is part of the complaint to bilge location.
However, even turning on the pump rendered nothing, no noise. 

So! Before I go aimless rooting around this thing, any tips? 
My thoughts/check are 

1. Check fill lines to front hard tank. Possible cracked line/loose clamps. 
  2. Any possibility of an actual cracked tank?  
  3. Where is the drain pump for the front tank? Is it attached directly to the tank? Or remote? Maybe that's busted. (But it does pump out) Only see 3 pumps in access. I know this is elementary question. 
  4. Bilge pump location? Where is it? Behind engine? Or is it in the access port where you access the V drive?
  5. Bilge-check fuse. Under dash, correct? 

But it definitely seems a 2nd pump is needed. Will have to address that too. B-O-A-T..... 

Ryan

Hello Ryan, It is me again lol.... IMO definitely add a second bilge pump. After a sequence of failures with a ballast bag, my engine hydro locked... (rear bilge pump failed as well)... I requested the dealer to install a second bilge in the center and they did it for fee !!!!! another best upgrade :) Mine is all tied in with rear pump.. so they both turn on when bilge switch is activated and the auto bilge is all tied together so if either one turns on the screen shows the message.... the center of the boat is the lowest point when sitting still, but when underway, the water in center will move to back

If your front tank is cracked... you already know my solution ;) 

Edited by kerpluxal
9 minutes ago, kerpluxal said:

Hello Ryan, It is me again lol.... IMO definitely add a second bilge pump. After a sequence of failures with a ballast bag, my engine hydro locked... (rear bilge pump failed as well)... I requested the dealer to install a second bilge in the center and they did it for fee !!!!! another best upgrade :) 

If your front tank is cracked... you already know my solution ;) 

hey man! lol sorry, between work and late getting my daughter....didn't get a chance to get back to you! Your bow tank solution is pretty impressive! Man, 1100 in the bow....:surprised:

Certainly seems a must have upgrade for that pump. 

Edited by Ryan1776
6 minutes ago, Ryan1776 said:

AH! Got it! Thank you! So with your 750 bow, did you just ditch the hard tank and plumb in the bag? Tank pedestal eh? 

No, retained the stock 250 MLS and throw the 750 "full" on top. The tank pedestal is a piece of Schedule 40 PVC cut about 1/2 taller than the top of the front tank hole. I just drop it in and don't have to worry about it molding, rotting, rusting or crushing.

Well in case anyone was following along. 

First. The rear bilge is so darn quiet, well from what I've been used to, couldn't hear it run! So that's fine! 

Second, the ballast tank is indeed cracked. The drain bung itself is cracked. As if someone put the nipple fitting on with an impact and was looking for a torque spec. 
I was able to bandaid it by taking a hose clamp, tightening up the clamp around the bung, pretty tight. This pulled the crack together. I then took some plumbers tape to the nipple and threaded it in. 
Was able to get a decent bite and felt pretty tight. Put the pump back on and connected it all back together. 
Now instead of a solid stream of water coming out, it's about 3-4 drips a min or so. 
Went to the dealer and discussed it with them and they are ordering a new tank for me. I asked/tried to get them to get me a bag which would have been a lot cheaper and a lot faster for everyone and agreed to install it for them, but they felt better replacing the tank with a tank. Can't be mad as that is what they would have done from the get go anyway. 

Anyway, just wanted to pass along info. 

• 3 years later...

Hi guys, reviving this thread. I just bought a 2021 t22 and having an issue with my center ballast (going to dealer isn’t an option for me unfortunately). I checked each ballast one by one, and noticed that there is a big influx of water into center bilge when I’m filling up my center tank. I checked the reverse by pumping in water through the center tank exit on the hull, and no leak to bilge. When the tank is filled this way, no leak either so I’m betting that there is some leakage in the intake to the center tank. Question - how do I access the tube or piping from the center tank thru hull to the tank? I can see the pumps working fine from the circular hole, but i just can’t seem to find the hose/tube to see if theres a break or not. I can only fill water gushing in when I’m filling up center tank and stick my hand to the hole then right (towards driver). Any idea how I can diagnose and fix this?