Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best Boat Fenders 2018

stachs1

On 7/25/2019 at 5:48 AM, srintx said:

Any reports on the Mission Fenders?

They SUCK for tying up to other boats.  If you have any up/down movement with them, they will loosen up.  Overall I am very disappointed with them and wish I could return them.  I mount them as they tell you and push down to supposedly lock them in, but as the boats move with waves, they come loose and fall down.  I have tried to tie them as well, but the plastic cords don't hold in a knot.  They work ok on a dock for short periods of time, but I wouldn't trust them stay to put.

Edited by Brodie
Just now, Brodie said:

They SUCK for tying up to other boats.  If you have any up/down movement with them, they will loosen up.  Overall I am very disappointed with them and wish I could return them.  I mount them as they tell you and push down to supposedly lock them in, but as the boats move with waves, they come loose and fall down.  I have tried to tie them as well, but the plastic cords don't hold in a knot.  They work ok on a dock for short periods of time, but I wouldn't trust them stay put.

I agree, The mission fenders are fine for tying up to a dock for short periods of time...but they come loose more than they don't...

On 7/30/2019 at 11:32 AM, Brodie said:

They SUCK for tying up to other boats.  If you have any up/down movement with them, they will loosen up.  Overall I am very disappointed with them and wish I could return them.  I mount them as they tell you and push down to supposedly lock them in, but as the boats move with waves, they come loose and fall down.  I have tried to tie them as well, but the plastic cords don't hold in a knot.  They work ok on a dock for short periods of time, but I wouldn't trust them stay put.

I just bought four. Maybe money down the drain...

I have 2 mission fenders.  At first I didn’t like them.  The rear holds up tight to the boat which is great but the front fender has to hang lower.  It dangles around creating the possibility of a wave rotating it backwards as you approach (only happened a few times).   Also, when on the dock, the front bumper can get deranged if the boat moves a little forward or aft since they aren’t round, they don’t roll.   It would be great if they made a longer one for the forward cleat so it could be drawn tight like the rear fender. 

The good this is they are quick to attach.  It’s easy to get them at the perfect height.    And they work great if you attach them to the dock.  You can position them quickly and easily.  

• 7 months later...

I recommend Polyform G series boat fender. It has different sizes to cater to the buyer. I used it before, it's good. Before buying it I refer about other products on website marinetalk, you can read review about it on there website.

Edited by jillyrubyjane
  • 4 months later...
On 7/26/2019 at 9:28 AM, MalibuRyan said:

I recently asked this same question when I got my new boat.

Docking: I ended up buying the Mission Fenders and they are AWESOME!! When I tie up at the lake front bar, they easily attach to either the boat, or the posts on the dock. Very versatile and worth the money. No issues on my end so far.

Other boats: When I tie up to other boats, I use something similar to the BABz balls, I just bought 2 of those kid hopper balls with the handle, in blue, at walmart, for around $8 a piece. Keep them under inflated, they are rated for 140lbs+ and work great and separating boats on tie ups. 

Shallow water: I bought the orange dog anchor/ground screws from fleet farm and screw those into the sand, and then use the airhead bungee front and rear to hold the boat in place, works GREAT at sandbars and those screws stay in all day even with constant waves coming in as the airheads allow some movement. 

Hope that helps and good luck!

do you have a picture of that set up?

• 9 months later...

So I have the Mission bumpers.  They look nice and they are nice and compact, but if you tie up anywhere with chop and they do rub the dock, the adjustable line length doesn't stay put.  It will rub the dock and fall down below the dock line level.  I wouldn't buy them again.  And if someone here has em and can still return, I'd do it.

I always run the docking rope through the top hole of the mission fenders and this has held them in place without issue. Even in chop. Fortunately all the docks I tie up too are the correct height to do this and I haven’t had an issue of the dock going under the fenders. 

Edited by Dsalyers

I personally wouldn’t trust the mission fenders in chop. I had one of the plastic inserts pull out which caused the fender to drop into the water. Luckily I tied a real fender off the tower as well. 

BABZ are the ticket for everything we do. I equipped mine to be height adjustable for a dock or different boats. They are non marring because they roll, not slide up the side of the boat. And best of all, they have a ton of stand off and have never failed me in the worst of rollers.0671F73C-0361-4B2E-AB1E-104A6697E308.thumb.jpeg.b1eb643915edb4bc0638e7f279ad2f3c.jpeg1B46AE2A-1BB8-4A1C-B2F2-2FD5041C8F10.thumb.jpeg.f1e293712d875b76255c0e2e0a144ba9.jpeg The only down side is you have to fill them up but if I am in a hurry I still have the flat bumpers with the hinged tops.

762DE691-D227-4EE7-A4EA-6F7798B6B5A7.thumb.jpeg.5f8a4e58ad04dd9eb745ce3eccd2224a.jpeg

I am what you might call a string saver on certain things. All of the strapping and the friction buckles came from salvaged military bags I get from work. Normally I would of used Fastex clips which I have a ton of, but I went with the friction buckles because they will never be removed from the Phender pros. Plus, with my luck I would accidentally un clip the Fastex clip and sacrifice it to the river god. At $100 and change a pop, no thanks. Should be able to get everything from a sew shop or Wally World.