Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dry suit maintenance

Pistol Pete

Hey guys,

I just bought an O'Neill dry suit off of ebay. I've never had one before.

What do I need to know about lubing the zipper and seals? Bee's wax on the zipper and baby powder on the seals?

I was taught to spray the seals with food grade silicone spray. I've had my suit for 4 years, and there is no signs of the seals cracking or degrading at all. It also makes it easy to put the suit on.

What exactly is food grade silicone?

Look at this site for an example. It's hard stuff to find in stores.

The same stuff works very well for lubing the raw water pump impeller when you change it. It doesn't break the rubber down like petroleum-based lubes (Vasoline), and it's slippier and more peristent than binding lube or dish soap, which can dry out between the time you install the impeller and the time you crank the boat over in the water, leading in turn to a dry start and impeller wear.

I agree with the silicone option and keeping it out of the sun whenever possible. You can also find food grade silicone through McMaster Carr, industrial supply catalog superstore! Use plenty of the silicone and use it ofter.