Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2017 20VTX electronic dash failure

billritchie

This weekend, the electronic dash on my 2017 VTX froze up.  Everything went black while the boat was running.  Start/stop engine button wouldn't work.  Disconnected the battery, let it sit for a few, and then started it back up and everything worked fine.  My question is...should I be concerned or is this like when your computer locks up sometimes and you have to CTR-ALT-DEL to restart?  Any thoughts?  Thank you

Did you try the power button or the key?  I think i would have tried to hit the power button and if that didn’t work cycled the key on and then back off then to the kill switch and then to the battery.  

They are windows based machines, so yes, they need a reboot from time to time.  Make sure you have the latest software version installed and make sure your battery is working properly.  A blip in current or power can also cause funny gremlins. 

On 5/15/2018 at 12:14 PM, billritchie said:

This weekend, the electronic dash on my 2017 VTX froze up.  Everything went black while the boat was running.  Start/stop engine button wouldn't work.  Disconnected the battery, let it sit for a few, and then started it back up and everything worked fine.  My question is...should I be concerned or is this like when your computer locks up sometimes and you have to CTR-ALT-DEL to restart?  Any thoughts?  Thank you

So how did you shut off the engine?  There is a separate key?  

I had a similar event happen to me on my 2016 23 LSV. a summer ago.     Computer locked up and could only shut off computer by switching off battery which shut off the computer then turn battery on and reboot computer.  Once bluetooth connection was lost the computer worked fine.   The boat kept running while doing the whole reboot.  Once computer was rebooted the touch screens were back.   I did not think to try the key.  

Found the issue to be related to the blue tooth connection.. I had my cell phone paired up at the time as the bluetooth device.  I inadvertently left the  cell phone on the houseboat then took off getting out of range of the blue tooth device (iPhone).. Guess the computer did not know how to handle this situation.  I took it to the dealer upon return from vacation.  They said there was a newer software version and upgraded the software.  I have not really tested to see if it is fixed.  As I rarely leave my phone paired and on shore.      

Hope that helps.  

Edited by ORMailbuboater