Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best surfsystem for a 04 wakesetter

Larry94

Adequate bow weight is critical, as is a suck gate.  Shoot for ~ 60/40 rear/bow weight ratio.  Your mid-ship(MLS) ballast would count toward the bow weight.  I run ~2900 lbs in my VLX, with 750's in the rear, 500 MLS, 600 bow(lead and under seat bow sac), and 300 under the port side seats(our normal surf side) for a slight list.  Wedge down.  If I have a large crew, I will dump some of the rear weight, and often run non-surf side  less than full

Edited by Brodie

I had the same hull, I ran 1100 surf side, 750 non surf side, about 700 in bow, a 500 pound sac I'd move around in the back, wedge down & homemade wicked wave surf thing which have all went to suck gates now.  I had a pretty respectable wave but my hull was also 4 inches above the water & rollers coming by were sketchy 

i guess the wedge is what makes  the bow weight so critical - in my 99 i just run a suck gate (upgraded to a custom surfgate system i built this year) 600's in the rear 600 in the belly and an IBS full across the surf corner seats.  upgraded to 1k's in the rear hoping to get rid of the IBS on the seats - interested to see what that does. but the rail is in the water basically with this setup. 

Suckgate is a must, game changer with it. I run similar to what everyone else is.

750Lb both rear lockers

500 MLS Mid

600 Front

Wedge Down

Suckgate on opposite side of surfing (Last thing I added)

7 hours ago, jhartt3 said:

i guess the wedge is what makes  the bow weight so critical - in my 99 i just run a suck gate (upgraded to a custom surfgate system i built this year) 600's in the rear 600 in the belly and an IBS full across the surf corner seats.  upgraded to 1k's in the rear hoping to get rid of the IBS on the seats - interested to see what that does. but the rail is in the water basically with this setup. 

I already had a suckgate... I tought of building a surfgate/go surf assist replica . Any infos on how you built it ? Is is worth it ? 

check out wakegarage.com tons of info on how to build your own system.  I've got a couple bugs to work out of mine right now but in general its worth it.  I know exactly what i'd change mounting and i may end up doing it and changing it all up next off season.  

for a controller you can build your own with an arduino for around 100 bucks this is what me and a couple other guys are working the bugs out of currently but should be ready to go in a couple weeks.  

also ran with the twin 1100's in the rear with a bit more weight on the surf side and the wave is great.  finally got rid of the IBS on the seats.  though now i may put it under the bow and leave it filled

On 5/16/2018 at 12:15 PM, jhartt3 said:

I'd agree here. I don't have a wedge and extra bow weight doesn't help as much as I'd like.

750's in the rear, 300-500 MLS center locker, and another 400 on top of the MLS + home made suck gate is what I've been able to run with for best results in our 00VLX so far. Need to still experiment more for sure...

@MattyICE15i swapped to 1100s in the rear and its worlds better than the 600's i was at before even with the ibs on the seats.   and since our boats still have the huge sun deck you can basically get these pretty dang full

but i have too much bow rise now so i'm gonna put some weight in the bow

Edited by jhartt3
8 minutes ago, jhartt3 said:

@MattyICE15i swapped to 1100s in the rear and its worlds better than the 600's i was at before.  and since our boats still have the huge sun deck you can basically get these full.  

any issues with water coming in your engine bay vents when you stop? I get rollers hitting the transom after a rider goes down which flows into the bay on all my pulleys/belts and such + it runs rougher after a bit of surfing so i think its getting in the fuel vent as well with the 750's

Edited by MattyICE15
4 minutes ago, MattyICE15 said:

any issues with water coming in your engine bay vents when you stop? I get rollers hitting the transom after a rider goes down which flows into the bay on all my pulleys and such + it runs rougher after a bit of surfing so i think its getting in the fuel vent as well with the 750's

You just have to keep driving and slow down differntly  basically stop less abruptly but yes the first run last night i had to tell my driver to drive differently after the first run b/c water ran up on the sundeck.  but that issue should be easily controlled by driving better. 

Go Surf Assist... sub floor ballast plus 1100 in rears, 400 under coffins, and a custom bow sac in front for up to 1000 lbs... all bags are hidden...

Those new 1100's from ronix are awesome since they are trapezoidal they dont put extra pressure on the engine dividers.  i have been running mine almost completely full and have no reinforcement on my divider walls on my 99 and dont have any issues. its actually pretty sweet.