Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How do you warm engine if you can't disengage transmission?

Just bought a 2012 LSV and am completely mystified by the throttle, specifically lack of ability to disengage the transmission.   Took some amount of time to realize I have an 'electric shift' which mean there is no ability to disengage the transmission, which I've seen in several other posts as well, but what I haven't seen answered is how to warm the engine at any higher RPM than just idle speed.   What am I missing here?  Is it not possible?  I have to just warm it up at idle speed?

There is no reason to warm it, just drain the oil overnight.  If you want to rev engine, just disconnect the wiring to shift solonoids, they are under rear seat towards left when looking towards back of boat. 

Edited by oldjeep

I'm referring to warming it before driving at high speed, as in each time I start it up.  Surely there's a solution other than disconnecting wires under back seat?

5 minutes ago, Hunterboy said:

I'm referring to warming it before driving at high speed, as in each time I start it up.  Surely there's a solution other than disconnecting wires under back seat?

Do you rev your car before you drive it? 

• Like 3

14 Axis has a warm up lever pull knob by the throttle , don’t need it as you only need to rev it if you think it’s not performing right and were checking it or it was hard starting and you want the warm up levers start for additional throttle to start it, but it won’t ever be hard starting so again you don’t need it, idle warms it up

54 minutes ago, Hunterboy said:

but what I haven't seen answered is how to warm the engine at any higher RPM than just idle speed.

Im pretty sure there is a shift release button or knob. Non the less, there is typically no reason to run engine above idle to warm. By time you get it untied from dock, idle away or out of the no-wake, you are good to hammer down. The one exception is sometimes the heater works better with the engine off idle. 

2 minutes ago, MLA said:

Im pretty sure there is a shift release button or knob. Non the less, there is typically no reason to run engine above idle to warm. By time you get it untied from dock, idle away or out of the no-wake, you are good to hammer down. The one exception is sometimes the heater works better with the engine off idle. 

2012 has no shift release.  

1 minute ago, oldjeep said:

2012 has no shift release.  

Seriously? Like one random year has no release for some odd reason? Thats like leaving off the drain plug  

1 minute ago, MLA said:

Seriously? Like one random year has no release for some odd reason? Thats like leaving off the drain plug  

It isnt just one year.  But for sure a 2012 doesnt have one. There are some of the original ski command throttles that had a shift release, later ones do not.  No reason to rev a self starting fuel injected engine under normal usage, so why have it? 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, oldjeep said:

No reason to rev a self starting fuel injected engine under normal usage, so why have it? 

normal usage, I agree, but there are times that the engine needs to be above idle. I see less of a reason to not have it. 

My 2011 lsv does not either.  Regardless, let it run for 5 minutes and touch the cats, you'll see its warm.  No need to throttle pump it, it's not a baja.  

I just found out last week about some boats not having this. I consider it a major oversite. There are times when i use it to idle a bit higher, line when filling ballast with my 6 Johnson pumps. It's also nice to have the uption in a rough start situation.

But I never use it to warm engine up. I just idle out of no wake zone and cruise half throttle for a minute and then good to go.

Edited by TimbrSS
44 minutes ago, TimbrSS said:

I just found out last week about some boats not having this. I consider it a major oversite. There are times when i use it to idle a bit higher, line when filling ballast with my 6 Johnson pumps. It's also nice to have the uption in a rough start situation.

But I never use it to warm engine up. I just idle out of no wake zone and cruise half throttle for a minute and then good to go.

If you are getting a rough start in a modern fuel injected boat then you have a problem that fiddling with the throttle is not going to fix.  Stock alternator ought to be putting out at least 50% of max at idle speed, might be worthwhile to consider an alternator upgrade if you are unable to power your systems at idle speed.

24 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

might be worthwhile to consider an alternator upgrade if you are unable to power your systems at idle speed.

Alternators are not a fixed output, they are RPM dependent. This is why we see a pulley swap from time to time, to increase the idle speed rpm of the alternator. For less load like on a street/track car, one might go the other way and reduce alternator rpm. 

I like to rev mine before I hit full throttle for barefooting. Maybe not needed, but I still like to rev it. And I have a heater.

oldjeep- What if you're in the middle of the lake and all of a sudden it's hard to start? Would it be nice to be able to rev it a little to maybe get it to start, to get back to shore. YES!

1 hour ago, MLA said:

Alternators are not a fixed output, they are RPM dependent. This is why we see a pulley swap from time to time, to increase the idle speed rpm of the alternator. For less load like on a street/track car, one might go the other way and reduce alternator rpm. 

No kidding - you didn't quote this part of what I wrote "Stock alternator ought to be putting out at least 50% of max at idle speed"

Which is why when 1/2 of the rated output of an alternator isn't enough at idle then you replace it with an alternator that has higher max output.

20 minutes ago, JasonK said:

I like to rev mine before I hit full throttle for barefooting. Maybe not needed, but I still like to rev it. And I have a heater.

oldjeep- What if you're in the middle of the lake and all of a sudden it's hard to start? Would it be nice to be able to rev it a little to maybe get it to start, to get back to shore. YES!

If a MPI fuel injected engine is hard to start then typically giving it gas with a fly by wire throttle isn't going to do anything.  Need to stop thinking about these newer engines as if they have a carb or a throttle body injection.  The way you start them is to push a button - holding it down does nothing, it starts or it doesn't like a modern car.

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 4
14 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

No kidding - you didn't quote this part of what I wrote "Stock alternator ought to be putting out at least 50% of max at idle speed"

Which is why when 1/2 of the rated output of an alternator isn't enough at idle then you replace it with an alternator that has higher max output.

Even with a decent load, I would be surprised to 50% at cruising speed, more less idle. 

15 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

If a MPI fuel injected engine is hard to start then typically giving it gas with a fly by wire throttle isn't going to do anything.  Need to stop thinking about these newer engines as if they have a carb or a throttle body injection.  The way you start them is to push a button - holding it down does nothing, it starts or it doesn't like a modern car.

WOT with shifter locked out would be an EFI engine in clear-flood mode. That can help an engine start if there is an issue that has caused it to flood. Again, this is rare and not normal operation, but opening then closing, then cranking does nothing. 

16 minutes ago, MLA said:

Even with a decent load, I would be surprised to 50% at cruising speed, more less idle. 

Normal alternator puts out 100% at around 5000 shaft RPM.  For your typical small block chevy that equates to somewhere around 1600 engine RPM

Edit: the ISO spec says 6000 shaft RPM.  Which would put full output at around 2000 engine RPM using a standard 3-1 alternator/crank pulley differential

Edited by oldjeep
50 minutes ago, MLA said:

"Can" or "Does"? I ask because I know ive never seen an alternator put out 100% of its rated capacity at highway speed. 

Can - assuming there is something to draw the power.  You're not going to get 100 amps out of an alternator that has nothing trying to draw 100 amps, the same way that the breaker in your house is not seeing 15 amps when all you have on is the toaster.

6 hours ago, Falko said:

That's dumb. I mean I get it, it's nuclear, it's "hot" all the time. But how do you rev your reactor to impress all the mermaids at the stop light??

Hahahaha!!!  That's the best stupid thing I've read in a long time, nice one!